Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What option did you miss?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM
balakris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only notable omission in my build is ventilated front seats, which come in handy in TX.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:05 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure I did my homework well and didn't miss something I'll regret. We'll find out come September, I guess.....
Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by balakris
The only notable omission in my build is ventilated front seats, which come in handy in TX.
Same here. This is the only option I miss.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

PSE.
Oh well
Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

PSE from the sounds of it. Not sure whether to add to a leased car. Probably can't do the gundo jack either on a lease.

Anyway, good practice for my next one .....
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 AM
MacAna
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gulrey
I had to replace the red seatbelts on my 06 Boxster S and the dealer ordered them for me. Cost about $600 vs. 1/2 of that for the standard black.

Probably a lot more on the 991 as they have 4 belts.
That is quite a bit just for some interior aesthetics...

After I take delivery, I'll see how much I want them

Tx
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Red seat belts? Check.
Contrast deviating stitching? Check.
PDK? Check.
PSE? Check.
Ventilated seats? Check.
Sport steering wheel? Check.
White gauges? Check.
Sport Chrono? Check.
Model logo on console? Check.
Porsche crest on headrests? Check.
All-leather interior? Check.
PASM? No: wife would hang up front spoiler on curbs and scrape it up on inclines.
PDCC? No: not needed for the kind of driving that this car will be given.
X51? Too much money for too little gain. For an extra 75 HP, mos def. For 30, not a chance.
Power Steering Assist? No: unneeded by anyone, I'm told. Will have to see if I got good advice or not.
Upgraded stereo? No: I assume that a $100K+ car's basic stereo is satisfactory. Jury is still out on that assumption.
Wood trim? Gimme a freakin break.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:46 AM
walterwu
Advanced

After 6 months of ownership of a custom ordered 2014 red C2S with sports design, black gray leather interior, as a non-tracking daily driver, here's my list of thing I regret ordering or not ordering, and things I'm glad I didn't follow convention:

Wish I got but didn't:

1) sports design mirrors - they look better than the black chunk of plastic I have now, I never use the fold-in feature of my current mirrors
2) colored dial - the white dial that comes standard looks blotchy from all slightly grey shapes of all the unlit warning symbols and indicators. it just makes the dial look dirty. Wish I got something that hid the blotches better until the symbols were actually lit up

Things I got but really didn't need:
1) the rear wiper - I got this because this car was a spiritual replacement to my 944 turbo which also had a rear wiper (original owner, 26 years; no accidents until hit by a driver on her cell phone Oct. 2013). After getting the the car paint corrected by one of the top detailers in the nation and spending about $2,000 on my own detailing equipment and supplies (thanks a lot, Money256), I will never drive it in the rain because it'll get too dirty, so the wiper is useless to me. The whole "it breaks up the lines of the car" issue didn't bother me one bit, though.
2) adaptive cruise control/Porsche active safety - I have mixed feelings about this - I bought it for PAS but the PAS seems much less helpful than it turned out to be, but I actually like ACC more, though it's a bit unnerving to use and to get used to.

The contrarian features and non-features I'm happy with:
1) No PSE - I like my car silent but deadly, and I like to listen to the stereo. I wish the car was even quieter than it currently is, and will probably cap the tube in the car once my warranty period is up.
2) no sunroof - never used them in my other cars, and wouldn't use it in this one either. If I wanted one, I would just get a cab (not a fan of the targa look). Plus, I didn't spec this car for resale, or the next owner.
3) multi-function steering wheel - I like the convenience of skipping songs, and the heated steering wheel
4) clear taillights - I like the contrast between the clears and the guard red, better than the slight incongruity of guard red paint and red taillights. Works well with the clear side markers, silver rear badging, and standard wheels and my silver license plate frame.
5) sports design package - I originally wanted the aerokit, but thought the ducktail was a bit less obtrusive and a bit more classy and less aggressive. Didn't care for the look of the pop-up spoiler - looks dainty or that someone forgot to close something. It really grew on me.

Overall, I extremely happy with my purchase. No rattles or squeaks, no stutter between 2300-3000 rpm. I doubt, however, that this car will age as well or last as long as my 944 turbo. I got nearly $19,000 in settlement from the other drivers insurance company, not bad for a 26 year old car with a $33,000 sticker in 1987.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:29 AM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good on you for resurrecting this thread. I looked carefully at it before ordering in late 2013. As a result I'm happy with our build and it will probably help others too in their decision process.

I agree with you on the ACC/PAS. In 7000+ km I've never turned on the ACC and I ignore the PAS. I guess it's there as a safety feature should I ever get distracted / doze off.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:40 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i found out there is no "beat a corvette" option. it sure aint standard
Old 10-31-2014, 11:44 AM
ntravaglino
Advanced

Turbo. It is the only performance option, I'm missing and having never driven one I'd like to ;-)
Old 10-31-2014, 12:32 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
i found out there is no "beat a corvette" option. it sure aint standard
Meh. Speed is great but it's really become a cheap commodity. I'd buy a 991 for the entire motoring experience, not just the ability to dust the plastic fantastic.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:46 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

Sometimes I regret not having SPASM, the 18 way seats and the steering column in leather. I would not go for the sunroof again, though. Everything else: Just awesome. BTW, I picked up my car exactly one year ago. PAG sent me a birthday present, an aluminim paper weight with the Porsche Logo and my name on it. Very odd.

Last edited by ymg91150; 11-01-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I'd added : Auto dipping full beam & 18 way seats.
Couldn't live without: SD front facia, PSE, Sport Chrono, Sport Techno body coloured wheels, SD steering wheel, ACC.... And of course PDK (with aluminium inlay) !!!
Delighted I got : the best all round experience
Old 11-01-2014, 09:37 PM
7and911
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Wish I'd added : Auto dipping full beam
I was not aware this was an option...

Quick Reply: What option did you miss?