Wheels in Black Option

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Wheels in Black Option

Gents,

I was wondering if any of you had any insight into the process Porsche was using from the factory to get this look? (This choice was removed for MY 2013 and replaced with the wheels in platinum option.)

I've been thinking about replicating this look on my own car after seeing it in person on another 991. I went to the dealership to look at a similar wheel they have on display and it looks like it's painted and with a thick clear coat over the top.

The service advisor recommended a place that powdercoats the entire wheel then sprays a clear coat on top of that, but I really like the way it comes from the factory with the thin (~1cm) unpainted area along the outer edge of the wheel. I'm sure the powdercoating would be more durable though.

Anybody have any insight about the best way to achieve this? Or anyone interested in trading their WIB for a pair of identical unpainted Carrera S wheels?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Rich.
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Pwdr is stronger, however it is a pain to fix. When you get a chip/nick etc, the whole wheel needs to be coated again. Conventional paint is a little easier to keep up with imo. I have had wheels finished both ways. If you do use a body shop, have them gaurantee their work against imperfections or chipping over time. Scratches are totally on you obviously.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I right to infer that the stock painting process for wheels is similar to body panels? I too would like painted wheels but am not sure how to go about getting them like OP.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, Rich. I'm thinking painting may be the only way to duplicate the same factory look. When I look at the photos I took at the dealer while my car was in for service, it looks like this is obviously painted.

Last edited by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom; 04-17-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I was lucky and got body colored wheels in an early produced vehicle!

I love them!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Rich.
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Cogito, you are correct. Those wheels are painted. I would go that route.

Quick Reply: Wheels in Black Option