Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After roughly six months together, the feeling of man & machine synchronicity in this particular automobile is vastly superior to any I've ever driven. I feel as if I breathe with the car.

Thanks, Porsche. It's an honor.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Comprador
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be a crime if Porsche stopped building 3 pedal cars.. PDK is ok for some but not for me and I will never view it as a electronic manual transmission as some do.. if you can't stall your car at the light, its an auto gearbox.

A woman that designed a house for me once said, you spend all your money on little things you touch.. door handles, *****.. for me the total driving experience is visceral.. I touch the steering wheel and there for want a fat grippy wheel that feels great in my hands.. I touch the gear shift lever so that design is important too.. I want a car that brings all my senses alive.. except for maybe taste. I love hearing the engine, seeing the fit and finish, smelling burning tires and petrol, feeling the road underneath me and especially ripping through the gears.. Ferrari offers the California in a 6 sp in the Europe mkts and not in the US. We probably will never see another Ferrari in the US in a MT.. I truly hope Porsche doesn't go the same route otherwise I will be resigned to buying "old school" models..
Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 AM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Comprador
if you can't stall your car at the light, its an auto gearbox.
Well, the 991 MN will only stall very briefly, as the motor starts right back up on its own. The car does its best not to allow its driver to be embarrassed.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Comprador
Track Day

Originally Posted by carrerapete
Well, the 991 MN will only stall very briefly, as the motor starts right back up on its own. The car does its best not to allow its driver to be embarrassed.
Yeah, I saw that when I tested a car this week.. pretty cool especially if you are at a busy intersection and a car headed straight at you at speed is anticipating your moving out of his path!!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

if you can't stall your car at the light, its an auto gearbox.
I like that.

for me the total driving experience is visceral.. I touch the steering wheel and there for want a fat grippy wheel that feels great in my hands.. I touch the gear shift lever so that design is important too.. I want a car that brings all my senses alive.. except for maybe taste. I love hearing the engine, seeing the fit and finish, smelling burning tires and petrol, feeling the road underneath me and especially ripping through the gears.. Ferrari offers the California in a 6 sp in the Europe mkts and not in the US. We probably will never see another Ferrari in the US in a MT.. I truly hope Porsche doesn't go the same route otherwise I will be resigned to buying "old school" models..
Glad more people truly get it.

The California 6 speed is an awesome sight. I think its possible to get it here, but even iEurope is so rare that almost nobody knows it exists. Essentially its like ordering "off-menu".
Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ScorpionT

Glad more people truly get it.

Actually, I am glad that the engineers at Porsche truly get it.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

The manuals already rev match for you and a perfect heel toe is half the fun. So sadly I think the manual is half dead as it is.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 162 Posts

Matty, I was just about to say the same thing. I test drove a MT 2s and 4s yesterday, when I went to blip the throttle on a downshift, I was shocked when it blipped itself! My first thought was "cool", my second thought was it took me a long time to learn how to do that, I like doing it myself and I wonder how I can turn it off.

That said, I'm going MT 991 c4s shortly. My 07 just came off of warranty and it's a DD, so I need something new. Back to the land of naturally aspirated - but that's another thing - I knew I was cheating when I was too lazy to downshift and just used my loud foot to have those two turbos spool up and give me a Saturn V shove in the back. (I'll miss that).

I'll drive a MT until my legs can't do it anymore or they stop making them, whichever comes first.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 0luke1
Matty, I was just about to say the same thing. I test drove a MT 2s and 4s yesterday, when I went to blip the throttle on a downshift, I was shocked when it blipped itself! My first thought was "cool", my second thought was it took me a long time to learn how to do that, I like doing it myself and I wonder how I can turn it off.
I believe it only blips the throttle in sport plus mode.

Quick Reply: Porsche admits third pedal is on its last legs.