Sponsored by:

Top Gear comes to town

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:02 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Top Gear comes to town

Or came to town, since they don't broadcast live. Tonight's episode, the second of this season, includes a field trip to my home track: Willow Springs Raceway. They include.. well, I won't spoil it but they did two things you'd think would attract attention. Nope. Not around here. Never noticed them or heard a word about it. We're too close to Hollywood. When film companies decide to stay home instead of shooting in Canada, they often come up here to get some privacy from lolly-gaggers and paparazzi.

We combine the wide-open spaces of a desert with a complete lack of wide-open stares. Top Gear did some things with supercars and airplanes. Yawn. Doubt anybody noticed since we live between two bases that test every new aircraft in the U.S. inventory. Kinda hard to get our attention with anything that isn't faster than rumor and bigger than a blimp. They rented Willow Springs!!! Well, yeah. Our local Cub Scouts do that for their Soap Box Derby. It would have been fun watching the Stig take turn six in an LFA, but they didn't do that unless it comes at the end of the show. Which I'll go finish now.

Alright, one little tiny spoiler. They visited the Musical Road that's about a mile from my ranch. We had a road in a nearby town that developed a pattern of cracks that almost played a tune when you drove it at the right speed. Finally had to repave it. When the city found out it was a cherished and even mildly famous landmark, they got Honda to sponsor a new version, a contrived version, on a road that was being built. Now we have a road that plays a famous tune when you drive along it. Very annoying after the first experiment of course, so it's only on one lane of the three lanes going that direction.

The punch line. This is Top Gear, right? Tire-smoking, drifting maniacs with their own race track, right? They complained the notes were flat. Flat as in musical flat/sharp. The hot shots were driving too slow.

They should have followed a local Mom in her soccer van. Then the notes would have been correct. They never did realize it. At least, not on the air... I love it.

Gary
Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 AM
DOCX51
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I enjoy the series. Even though I don't see the point of crashing a.... Cobra gunship. Luckily everybody survived.
http://www.break.com/index/incredibl...-korea-2414810
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw the show last night. First thing that came to mind on the musical road was they were going too slow!

Would be interesting to see the filming in person. I suspect we would find that the true stars of the show are the editors and production staff!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the US Top Gear. It's hilarious. The one where they take soccer mom mini vans over the continental divide is awesome. A must watch.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Or came to town, since they don't broadcast live...
I'm a huge UK Top Gear fan, and was disappointed by the episode. They were at WSIR, yet no timed laps or Stig?? They were in Los Angeles and all they show to automobile enthusiasts around the globe is the LA River?? Then a freeway slog to Palm Springs for some reason, and on to Calexico, completely bypassing more fantastic roads in east San Diego county.

I don't like US Top Gear, but even with skits recycled from the UK, I think it was better this week...
Old 02-14-2013, 06:32 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 448 Likes on 198 Posts

Why does the Top Gear audience stand? Anybody know?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Why does the Top Gear audience stand? Anybody know?
Because there are no chairs to sit on.
The following users liked this post:
AmarilloMike (05-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Top Gear comes to town