Sponsored by:

Tracking the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Silly question perhaps, but I have a current M spec. full face helmet. Will an organization that recommends/requires SA really enforce the SA vs M? For green group?

Diffrerence is fire-proofness of padding, yes?
Best way to answer this is to quote the Snell Foundation:

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.
We have thirteen zones in PCA to cover the United States and we set minimum standards for running events, including safety regulations. Nothing in the by-laws prevents one of the zones from making their requirements tighter for particular events, though the rest of us make snicker and point at annual meetings. (Okay, maybe our scorn isn't quite that obvious.)

If a region is worried about helmets catching fire in DE events, they may have noticed more people coming out to the track with their hair on fire. What can I say?

[Sorry. Forgot to answer the first question. If it's a recommendation, they won't insist as long as you meet the Snell requirement. If it's a requirement, they will enforce it. and your helmet is checked during tech inspection. Helmet rental is always an inexpensive option for any group, but certainly while you're still in green group.]

Gary

Last edited by simsgw; 02-12-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Added answer to question about helmet enforcement
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I've driven with about a half dozen PCA regions in the mid-Atlantic to northeast, and iirc Metro NY is the only one which required required a fire extinguisher (they required it in all run groups).
Here's from Schattenbaum PCA Region 2013 Tech Sheet...who runs more events than probable anyone in the NE...

4. FIRE EXTINGUISHER: Required on Advanced run group cars. If present, must be securely mounted (metal-to-metal) in reach of driver. Must be BC or ABC rated. 2.5 lb. minimum and fully charged.

Less regions are requiring them but some still do. Whether they enforce is another thing.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold
I've driven with about a half dozen PCA regions in the mid-Atlantic to northeast, and iirc Metro NY is the only one which required required a fire extinguisher (they required it in all run groups).
And....I joined Metro NY, as I live in the NYC suburbs.. Looks like I am stuck with the fire extinguisher requirement.

With the windows rolled down, I can see how a full-face helmet would be preferable when stones are flying around. I'll have to go try on various helmets to see which feel natural and not restrictive. I can't even wear an open-face helmet when skiing / snowboarding...I hope I can get over the closed-in feeling for a car.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
Here's from Schattenbaum PCA Region 2013 Tech Sheet...who runs more events than probable anyone in the NE...

4. FIRE EXTINGUISHER: Required on Advanced run group cars. If present, must be securely mounted (metal-to-metal) in reach of driver. Must be BC or ABC rated. 2.5 lb. minimum and fully charged.

Less regions are requiring them but some still do. Whether they enforce is another thing.
I'm not familiar with Schattenbaum event criteria, but I know their 'Advanced' or black run group is distinct even from the red group, which is limited to instructors. I surmise they limit that group to competition-prepared cars. Not necessarily full race, but in that spirit. We accomplish the same result by requiring the fire extinguished when the modification points reach... 440 pts I think, but I'm not one of the scrutineers. Don't quote me on that.

I noticed their rule on helmets and it's essentially the same as ours:
Schattenbaum Region allows use of either SA or M rated helmets (SA is recommended). Drivers can use helmets with the last two Snell rating periods provided the helmet is in good condition. For example, in 2007, helmets designated as M00, SA00, M05 or SA05 are acceptable. Any helmet that shows signs of damage will not be allowed.
I don't remember that our phrasing emphasizes SA quite so much. Perhaps we get fewer guys with their hair on fire. Tom Cruise is the only one that comes to mind.

Gary
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

I drove in Black with Schattenbaum last year and I don't remember an FE being required. But I believe a car (Lotus cup car) caught on fire at that event, so maybe they changed the rule after that.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Schatt may allow M rated but not in NJ.

From the NJ Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations....which are enforced by the State Police for NJMP... under the HPDE section.

I have been there when they checked harnesses...and gave warnings only.

§ 13:62-4.26 Helmets, head cushions and head and neck
restraints
(a) All drivers shall wear a properly secured, full face
helmet with face shield, which meets or exceeds the latest Snell
Memorial Foundation Testing Standard SA, incorporated by
reference herein, as may be amended and supplemented, which
has not reached the expiration date established by the Snell
Memorial Foundation at the time of the event. The standards are
available from the Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 Madison
Avenue, Suite 11, North Highlands, CA 95660. A Nomex, or
similar fire-resistant head sock is recommended to be worn in
conjunction with the use of the full face helmet with face shield.
The use of open face helmets is prohibited.

M rated helmets are not permitted.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:32 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

I ordered a 2013 C4S, not it comes with a 305/30/20 rear tire.
I want to use 19s for the track, since 18s won't fit on the 991. Now no one makes a 305/35/19 tire, my options are to go 295/35/19 or go wider, like a 315/30 or 325/30.

Can I go 325/30/19 out back and use a 255/40/19 or 255/35/19 up front?

I could throw a pair of Corsas on the 20s, but they are extremely expensive tires.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 AM
jdsc
Intermediate

Gary,

Thanks for the bio. Quite a career and quite a story. Like to get together with you some day and talk about FF's, etc. Raced SCCA from 70-76 in the NorCal region and looking forward to having some civilized fun in the 911. Should be interesting. Laguna only had 9 turns the last time I was there, Thunderhill didn't exist, and Sears/Infineon and Willow Springs haven't changed much, have they?

Just my 2 cents, but when it comes to full face helmets, +1 from me. I used to have an open face helmet in the single seater and on the road course at Phoenix Int'l Raceway the car in front put a wheel off and sent a baseball sized rock flying 20 feet in the air. It was just like slow motion as it flew up and went right over my car. I must have been doing 90 mph one direction, and the rock was probably doing the same the other direction. I could see the entire trajectory. Fortunately no one was hit and in truth, a full face helmet probably would't have done anything, but I retired that open face helmet and went out and bought a full face for the next race.

Even in a closed car with a windshield s..t happens and most professionals that you see these days use a full face helmet. Rather than being claustrophobic, I always found it nice and peaceful and protected and a way to relax and collect ones thoughts before getting on the track. The quiet before the storm so to speak.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Schatt may allow M rated but not in NJ.

From the NJ Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations....which are enforced by the State Police for NJMP... under the HPDE section.[...]
Ah yes, I remember that now. New Jersey pre-empted the motorsport organizations with statutory provisions. Not my state, so it's not my business, but it seems just as sensible as the federal law about sealed-beam headlights that held up lighting improvements in our cars for decades.

Gary
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by jdsc
Rather than being claustrophobic, I always found it nice and peaceful and protected and a way to relax and collect ones thoughts before getting on the track. The quiet before the storm so to speak.
Interesting, I've never discussed that point with anyone, but that's exactly how I feel too. Putting on the driving gloves plays a similar role in the ritual for me.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:08 PM
SB
Instructor

Not much to add, since I have the same dilemma. I think 235/295 toyos will work pretty well. If you compare thread width on 235 R888 to 245 pirelli P Zero standard rubber, you'll find that toyos are actually wider despite a smaller number. I believe same story applies with rears. My concern with running r888s is that the overall diameter of a tire is 1" smaller than OEM tires. While you'll put down 4% more torque to the ground with Toyos, you will also lose 1/2" of ground clearance. I just don't think I can do that on already low SPASM 991S.

To me, Pirelli Corsas seem like the best option, but the price is outrageous, especially for the rubber that will last no more than 5000miles of street/track.

Originally Posted by STALKER99
I ordered a 2013 C4S, not it comes with a 305/30/20 rear tire.
I want to use 19s for the track, since 18s won't fit on the 991. Now no one makes a 305/35/19 tire, my options are to go 295/35/19 or go wider, like a 315/30 or 325/30.

Can I go 325/30/19 out back and use a 255/40/19 or 255/35/19 up front?

I could throw a pair of Corsas on the 20s, but they are extremely expensive tires.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
SB
Instructor

Here is what I just did: I called Pirelli and sent them an email to tell them that they have the pricing for the Corsas wrong. I think Tire companies listen to consumers, and if they don't, that's just a poor way to run a business. Anyway, I know that Pirelli Corsas in 20" fitment would be on top of many Porschefiles' consideration list if they were selling for $1300-1500 a set. To me, it's a no brainer since I wouldn't have to buy another set of wheels. I hope some of you will also send them an email asking them to consider a lower price point. Pirelli's email is consumeraffairs@pirelli.com.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Here is what I just did: I called Pirelli and sent them an email to tell them that they have the pricing for the Corsas wrong. I think Tire companies listen to consumers, and if they don't, that's just a poor way to run a business. Anyway, I know that Pirelli Corsas in 20" fitment would be on top of many Porschefiles' consideration list if they were selling for $1300-1500 a set. To me, it's a no brainer since I wouldn't have to buy another set of wheels. I hope some of you will also send them an email asking them to consider a lower price point. Pirelli's email is consumeraffairs@pirelli.com.
Just did it.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Thx guys for the helmet info. I will get an SA.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:57 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbroen
Thx guys for the helmet info. I will get an SA.
Well done. You never know when you'll feel the need, the need for speed. And next thing you know, your hair's on fire!

Gary

Quick Reply: Tracking the 991?