Sponsored by:

991S Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
What can be done is change the trade-offs. Design engineers always must trade-off this for that and tit for tat. The aftermarket just changes the more easily modified choices by offering less of that and perhaps a little more tit.
Gary - you again have simplified for the layman, and stated to me in a straightforward manner, something I've been trying to grasp the concept of for quite some time. I get to read really cool stuff here. Thank you..and, good morning.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is a little more tit more me! :0

btw how long does it take to change the filters?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
is a little more tit more me! :0

btw how long does it take to change the filters?
Once you have removed the bumper cap (!), it takes just a few minutes.

Actually that is bad, but sounds worse that it is, assuming you can get past finding and removing about a dozen screws and the prospect of removing and replacing what seems like the whole back of the car. The dealer tech swears it takes him less than an hour. A morning sounds about right to me.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ONLY benefit K&N has is that it is re-usuable. It really is best left for people you like to run their cars at the lowest possible cost/mile. It is an oily mess and I am not sure if it will do any harm... probably not.

There are NO performance benefits and NO fuel economy benefits. Most of the stuff you will hear is anecdotal evidence. In fact, if you send an email to K&N directly asking these questions, you will get a politician's answer to the questions.

So, if you want to spend time taking of the bumper of your car every 10-15,000 miles to remove and wash that mess then.....

I prefer to just pay the dealer to service the car and the few dollars an air filter costs every 30,000 miles is peanuts compared to what it costs to own & drive a Porsche 991.

I highly recommend buying a Porsche filter even if you like to change it yourself.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gary
You and I are both old enough to remember the days of evil Detroit "buying up" those fantastic carbs and preventing us from getting 100mpg in our heavy cars. Your point is also well made regarding horsepower that was left to be found on those older technologies.
Before I bought the 991S, I owned a BMW 335 which had the Dinan Stage 1 software. It was a very fast car and handled quite well too. But it's not a Porsche. Didn't sound like one, handle like one, etc. etc. But it was quick. It would have been even quicker with a PDK type tranny.
At mile high altitude we may not have all the power available as you do, but then no one else does here either. I recall my first and only visit so far to the High Plains track east of Denver last fall at the invitation of my dealer. I watched the service manager driving the dealer car (a used GT3) up against some turbo's with far more horsepower. The service manager was a former racer, everyone else were merely good drivers. On the straightaway, he couldn't gain on them naturally, but once the track took a turn, they were toast. In other words, the complete Porsche experience has more to do with what happens on the corners than on the straight away. And that is what I am looking forward to and why I bought the Porsche. I didn't buy it for 0 - 60, but rather for the overall experience. And from what I have read and experienced so far, the Porsche engineers didn't leave much lying around on the shop floor.
Art
Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are the BMC Distributor in North America, just did a small write up on DIY for the Filters this morning on our Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/SportsCarBo...7480698&type=1 while doing our Autoshow Project http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ers-991-a.html

PM me for Rennlist Price, we have 5 kits in stock!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a K&N air filter for my Yamaha motorcycle and when I went out for a test ride the bike performed poorly, with the engine misfiring and the bike jerking at hard acceleration.
Went away when I switched back to stock.
I returned it.
Someone in the motorcycle industry said that many have messed up pistons using a K&N air filter.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by futurz
Gary
You and I are both old enough to remember the days of evil Detroit "buying up" those fantastic carbs and preventing us from getting 100mpg in our heavy cars.[...]
And Tom Cahill! Remember Popular Mechanix?

Originally Posted by futurz
[...] the complete Porsche experience has more to do with what happens on the corners than on the straight away. And that is what I am looking forward to and why I bought the Porsche. I didn't buy it for 0 - 60, but rather for the overall experience. And from what I have read and experienced so far, the Porsche engineers didn't leave much lying around on the shop floor.
Smart attitude, Art. That's my conclusion about Porsche also. With some generations, you can tell the total resource 'purse' was pretty limited, but even then the engineers were keeping the designs well out to the edges of the possible.

Gary
Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Gary - you again have simplified for the layman, and stated to me in a straightforward manner, something I've been trying to grasp the concept of for quite some time. I get to read really cool stuff here. Thank you..and, good morning.
You're welcome, Nico, and it makes a good morning to wake up to this note.

Gary

Quick Reply: 991S Air filter