Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK in Sport Auto mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 996 TT Cab with Tip and I sure don't get a "blip" with downshift.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

John, your cab looks like it would leap up and bite something if you "blipped"!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
I have a 996 TT Cab with Tip and I sure don't get a "blip" with downshift.
John, I think we are referring to a blip on the throttle causing the PDK to downshift on the 991 as opposed to a downshift causing a blip!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Yes but further up someone mentioned Porsche's had been doing this for years I think.

I sure was impressed with the 991S with PDK doing this. On the Autobahn at about 125mph someone cut me off not realizing the left lane was stopped a very short distance ahead. I used brakes only to avoid hitting him and the "blip" happened from 6th down to 2nd in a very few seconds. All on its own.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by SiNi
John, I think we are referring to a blip on the throttle causing the PDK to downshift on the 991 as opposed to a downshift causing a blip!
+1
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM
jmct
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 997.1 Tip and I don't think it downshifts when I do a throttle blip, but will test and report back if incorrect.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sorry, but when you say blip are you talking about a quick depression of the gas pedal quickly followed by letting it off?
Maybe im not getting this, but if that is what is being discussed what does this do as opposed to just aggressively punching the gas which in any mode drops the gears? Sorry if im missing something obvious, had a travel day from hell and been sitting in business reviews all day.
My contribution to the OP is that for my fun runs around the forest roads im really enjoying sports plus in manual.
cheers
Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by limey940
Im sorry, but when you say blip are you talking about a quick depression of the gas pedal quickly followed by letting it off?
Maybe im not getting this, but if that is what is being discussed what does this do as opposed to just aggressively punching the gas which in any mode drops the gears? Sorry if im missing something obvious, had a travel day from hell and been sitting in business reviews all day.
My contribution to the OP is that for my fun runs around the forest roads im really enjoying sports plus in manual.
cheers
You just quickly punch the pedal.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheers
Yes. It enables shifting to a lower gear without accelerating - try it!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 PM
rpilot
Pro

Downshifts by blipping the throttle are a characteristic of ZF transmissions for some years now. I don't know how long. Their 8 speed automatics (the best slush box auto IMO) also do this unless for some reason the car manufacturer has changed the logic, which happens quite often.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

PDK has been doing this since 2009 when it was introduced. Welcome to the 21st century.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok I'm feeling very dim
if you are driving a PDK in gear then a blip of the throttle will
result in acceleration. however brief the blip. if I want to change hear without accelerating I just use a paddle. I'm not trying to be petulant, what am I missing here?
cheers
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

ok I'm feeling very dim
result in acceleration. however brief the blip. if I want to change hear without accelerating I just use a paddle. I'm not trying to be petulant, what am I missing here?
cheers
Trust me. It won't accelerate. Just a fast snap of the pedal.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

ok I'm feeling very dim
cheers
Doesn't take that much of a blip. I knew nothing about this until my mechanic showed me during a test drive. All it takes to cause the downshift is a tap of the throttle with your toe. Like me at the time, you're picturing a throttle movement that hooligans use to make the engine briefly run up the rpm at a stoplight to let the massed populace appreciate the beauty of their exhaust sound. This is not that.

This isn't a throttle movement so much as it is a tap with your toe. Obviously, some physical movement of the pedal takes place or the position sensor wouldn't detect your action, but it is too shallow and too brief to cause an engine speed increase.

Honestly, I have no idea when it would be used since we have the levers on the wheel to command a downshift. The mechanic told me more as a curiosity than anything.

Gary
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 PM
jmct
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmct
I have a 997.1 Tip and I don't think it downshifts when I do a throttle blip, but will test and report back if incorrect.
Well, I never drive in auto-shift mode so didn't realize this, but blipping the throttle causes a downshift on my tiptronic. It went from 5th to 4th and then 2nd coasting down a hill around 40mph using a few throttle blips. One or two of them did not result in a downshift so it was a little unpredictable.

I tried it coasting on relatively flat road a few times and could not get a downshift while coasting (e.g., the freeway off-ramp), so it's not configured too well IMO and I'm sticking with manual shift until my 991 arrives.
The following users liked this post:
Jwgilmore (12-02-2019)

Quick Reply: PDK in Sport Auto mode