Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM, PTV, AWD, and PDCC -- Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013 | 04:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by STALKER99
My hesitation with PDCC is that it will be too artificial and not give as much driver feedback. Im faster in a car that I know what is doing beneath me.
PDCC in my Cayenne S doesn't feel artificial or unpredictable at all, even when pushed hard. I haven't experienced it yet in a Carrera, but it's been further refined for that application and after reading Gary's impressions after his test drive, I don't think getting good feedback is an issue.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-24-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-24-2013 | 05:00 PM
SiNi
Instructor

A harsh suspension and a stiff suspension are two very different things. Well aware of that. I have run JRZ coils in the past with very hight spring rates, while the ride is stiff, its never harsh(beat you up inside the car). Thats actually one of the pluses of a well put together suspension.

My hesitation with PDCC is that it will be too artificial and not give as much driver feedback. Im faster in a car that I know what is doing beneath me.
Guess it depends what you are used to / prepared to learn. My PDCC C2S will be my first track car so I am not pre-programmed and will hopefully learn its limits at my own pace.
Old 01-24-2013 | 05:05 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
PDCC in my Cayenne S doesn't feel artificial or unpredictable at all, even when pushed hard. I haven't experienced it yet in a Carrera, but it's been further refined for that application and after reading Gary's impressions after his test drive, I think don't think getting good feedback is an issue.
Im sure its a great system for a large heavy SUV, but I would have to drive it for myself under more extreme conditions. Im sure that it has its merits, but again, I gotta drive it to be 100%.
Old 01-24-2013 | 05:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Im sure its a great system for a large heavy SUV, but I would have to drive it for myself under more extreme conditions. Im sure that it has its merits, but again, I gotta drive it to be 100%.
A very reasonable approach. I'd also want to try it for myself in a sportscar before ordering....
Old 01-24-2013 | 05:16 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SiNi
Guess it depends what you are used to / prepared to learn. My PDCC C2S will be my first track car so I am not pre-programmed and will hopefully learn its limits at my own pace.
You will and Im sure you are going to love it. Just be warned, you go once and you will be hooked.
Old 01-24-2013 | 05:50 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

A harsh suspension and a stiff suspension are two very different things. Well aware of that. I have run JRZ coils in the past with very hight spring rates, while the ride is stiff, its never harsh(beat you up inside the car). Thats actually one of the pluses of a well put together suspension.

I don't find it in any way "artificial"- just a bit different. Nothing you won't get used to fast.
Old 01-27-2013 | 10:35 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Excellent write up! I'm by no means an "old timer". Quite the opposite; I'm an extreme technophile both personally and professionally. I also have no doubt that, as time passes, even today's most extreme technologies will become passé

That said, I do feel that cars are becoming homogenous as a result of the pursuit for absolutely neutral performance, universal accessibility and ultimate performance numbers. And If I'm going to be honest, I have to say that something is lost in the transition for me.

I never thought I'd reach the day where I was identifying more with the "old timers", but I've found that these days I am.

I will have to drive a new 991 loaded with all of the gadgets to see, but the trend so far hasnt been good. I definitely prefer last gens BMWs and Audis to the current crop and I was only able to stay with my 09 GTR all of 6 months before I sold it and went back to an old 996 (throwing the difference into a daily driver crossover)

I have no doubt that EPS, EDC, advanced suspension controls, DCT, et al make the car more predictable, more able to deliver ultimate performance in the hands of just about anyone, and far "easier".

The problem I'm finding personally is they all feel the same. I've driven the GTR, an F30 335xi with the full MSport treatment, and an S4 with DSG and S-Tronic and they felt nearly identical in too many ways for my liking.

Learning the quirks of the car, IMO, is part of the fun of a fun car (thats just me). While its great that we're reaching the point where the wife can lap VIR and then stop off at Wegmans on the way back while on a bluetooth call, I cant help but feel that a big part of the challenge has been lost when the onboard machine intelligence is perpetually adjusting, compensating and correcting all aspects of the driving experience.

Im really curious to drive a loaded up 991C4 with maximum electronic wizardry and see if it honestly feels any different than the Audi, BMW, or GTR. And it's going to have to be more than "sound" too since, soon enough, that will be purely synthetic too - want your Hyundai to sound like a Ferrari? just hit a button
Old 01-28-2013 | 02:36 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by mlambert890
Excellent write up! I'm by no means an "old timer". Quite the opposite; I'm an extreme technophile both personally and professionally. I also have no doubt that, as time passes, even today's most extreme technologies will become passé

That said, I do feel that cars are becoming homogenous as a result of the pursuit for absolutely neutral performance, universal accessibility and ultimate performance numbers. And If I'm going to be honest, I have to say that something is lost in the transition for me.

I never thought I'd reach the day where I was identifying more with the "old timers", but I've found that these days I am.

I will have to drive a new 991 loaded with all of the gadgets to see, but the trend so far hasnt been good. I definitely prefer last gens BMWs and Audis to the current crop and I was only able to stay with my 09 GTR all of 6 months before I sold it and went back to an old 996 (throwing the difference into a daily driver crossover)

I have no doubt that EPS, EDC, advanced suspension controls, DCT, et al make the car more predictable, more able to deliver ultimate performance in the hands of just about anyone, and far "easier".

The problem I'm finding personally is they all feel the same. I've driven the GTR, an F30 335xi with the full MSport treatment, and an S4 with DSG and S-Tronic and they felt nearly identical in too many ways for my liking.

Learning the quirks of the car, IMO, is part of the fun of a fun car (thats just me). While its great that we're reaching the point where the wife can lap VIR and then stop off at Wegmans on the way back while on a bluetooth call, I cant help but feel that a big part of the challenge has been lost when the onboard machine intelligence is perpetually adjusting, compensating and correcting all aspects of the driving experience.

Im really curious to drive a loaded up 991C4 with maximum electronic wizardry and see if it honestly feels any different than the Audi, BMW, or GTR. And it's going to have to be more than "sound" too since, soon enough, that will be purely synthetic too - want your Hyundai to sound like a Ferrari? just hit a button
I am sorry, I found this is too hyperbole. Have you driven on a track? An advanced driver in a Miata could easily beat me in a corner. You don't press a button and the car will drive for you. You still needs to learn the line, when to brake, how to threshold braking, when to apply power to settle the rear, etc. The biggest improvement of the 991 platform is the chassis, in my opinion. PDCC, PASM, PSM, Torque vectoring, and dynamic engine mounts are tools to make a track capable car compliant on the street too. You literally get the best of both worlds.

I have no experience with C4, but I got my 991 C2S's rear to step out on track because I did something stupid, and the famous 911 rear engine bias showed up to give me a moment of pure terror. I am glad PSM saved my butt.

Anyway, test drive a 991 and then you can form a more informed opinion, instead of just pure conjecture.
Old 01-28-2013 | 09:30 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

There is just no explaining a 991, particularly an S with PDK, to someone who has not driven one and believes their assumptions. It is appropriately hard for someone who has not experienced it for themselves, to comprehend the 911 essence it has (including road feel and ability to control the car with skill) but at higher levels of performance and comfort.
Old 01-28-2013 | 02:06 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
There is just no explaining a 991, particularly an S with PDK, to someone who has not driven one and believes their assumptions. It is appropriately hard for someone who has not experienced it for themselves, to comprehend the 911 essence it has (including road feel and ability to control the car with skill) but at higher levels of performance and comfort.
+1. I feel very fortunate to own one. It surpasses any car I've ever driven before!
Old 01-28-2013 | 09:41 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Concur. Get so tired of the uneducated. It's killing me. Time to find my moment of Zen.

Old 01-28-2013 | 09:54 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by holminator
Concur. Get so tired of the uneducated. It's killing me. Time to find my moment of Zen. [...]
I dropped by the GT3 forum. Their 991 model isn't released yet, and sure enough: they've got their own crop of "haven't tried it but any sensible person would hate it without needing a test". I remember something similar when I first joined after buying a 997S. The absolutely certain prediction was that even if we thought we liked the dot two, it would plug solid with carbon or bankrupt us with oil consumption in six months.

Is this peculiar to Porsche new model releases or do all the bits flying through the air erode the brain tissue of some percentage of the posters on forums?

Gary
Old 01-28-2013 | 09:58 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Yup. You nailed it, Gary. I saw it in 2004 through 2006 when I got my PASM-equipped 997. Metaphorically speaking, someone should lock Sprydel and Jim-Jim in the trunk and just walk off so we don't have to listen to the silliness.

Old 01-28-2013 | 10:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by simsgw
Is this peculiar to Porsche new model releases or do all the bits flying through the air erode the brain tissue of some percentage of the posters on forums?
Gary

Probably the latter, although some Porschephiles do seem particularly averse to change.....
Old 01-29-2013 | 12:19 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

I have been following the Definitive 991 GT3 threads 1 and 2 because I am keenly interested in the topic. The amount of negativity -- based on what is mostly rumors -- is staggering. I am continually amazed by how little confidence some exhibit in the same company and set of people who so recently put out what in my mind is one of the most desirable 911s EVER in the 4.0. Somehow between then and now, they have all lost their way and the next GT3 will be horrible. Nothing but a tarted up 991 Carrera. And we all know how terrible those are.

Quick Reply: PASM, PTV, AWD, and PDCC -- Oh My!