Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked an E63 on the way home.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 PM
ThePartsMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked an E63 on the way home.....

I was trying to be a gentleman and have a leisurely drive home from work today when I noticed than a E63 was keeping pace with me. I turned to look at the driver and he motioned with his hand that he wanted to race. Of course I ignored him and made the exit off of the freeway to head home. I looked in the rear view mirror and this man had crossed 4 lanes of traffic to exit behind me. The feeder road contains a 2 mile stretch before intersecting the highway that leads home. While on this feeder road, he pulls up next to me and jumps his car forward. We were already going about 60 mph. I tried to ignore him, but I just decided to put this guy to rest. I motioned to him that I would partake in this contest. From 60 mph he punched it, ad soon after, I just put the pedal to the floor and let the car do what it wills. In no time, he was just a memory. I must admit that I forgot to utilize the sports plus option. Perhaps net time...
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Now that's a nice ride home!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I sometimes bait BMWer drivers into thinking it's a race so they act as a pathfinder for every cop ahead. I would never actually race off track. I may be going to Hell for it but at least I'll be management.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rock on partsman! you are only encouraging the rest of us ya know! love it
Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
I sometimes bait BMWer drivers into thinking it's a race so they act as a pathfinder for every cop ahead. I would never actually race off track. I may be going to Hell for it but at least I'll be management.
Fair assessment of my own situation, I'm sure.

Drove 85 miles to my dealer this morning; test drove a C4S without PDCC while they serviced my C2S; drove thirty miles of L.A. Friday traffic to the only dealer with a PDCC coupe and test drove his C4S with PDCC; then drove thirty more miles of surface traffic to my hotel for a PCA mountain tour tomorrow before our Zone 8 dinner. Started to get a little impatient by the sixth hour of traffic and sign says "right lane ends". Guy to left in lane two and a truck ahead of me are having a snoozing contest. Can't get over. Got fed up and dropped the hammer. PDK slams into first gear, [First! Have you heard how that sounds?] and teleports me to lane two and two hundred feet in front of either sleeper. I slow to maneuvering speed on impulse power and stop like a gentleman at the approaching light.

A motorcycle was back there in lane one, so I leave him room between the car in lane one and myself so he can "make a lane" at the light. Puzzlingly, he slides up between us but stops next to my door. I turn my head and see a title printed on the side of his bike "T R A F F I C City of Downey". Oh.

I nodded politely and turned back to adjust my Burmester. Thoroughly expected him to wait until we cleared the signal and then light me up. Nope. I guess the polite spacing and the friendly nod changed his mind.

My management role will probably be in diplomatic affairs.

Gary, who will report on those test drives on Monday
Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Gary, after that I am waiting to see your debut in this series:

Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Gary, after that I am waiting to see your debut in this series:
It's possible that the officer thought it was a trailer for the next episode. But I don't even know a girl with a bikini and a bike these days!

Gary
Old 01-19-2013, 02:16 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Drove 85 miles to my dealer this morning; test drove a C4S without PDCC while they serviced my C2S; drove thirty miles of L.A. Friday traffic to the only dealer with a PDCC coupe and test drove his C4S with PDCC; then drove thirty more miles of surface traffic to my hotel for a PCA mountain tour tomorrow before our Zone 8 dinner. Started to get a little impatient by the sixth hour of traffic and sign says "right lane ends". Guy to left in lane two and a truck ahead of me are having a snoozing contest. Can't get over. Got fed up and dropped the hammer. PDK slams into first gear, [First! Have you heard how that sounds?] and teleports me to lane two and two hundred feet in front of either sleeper. I slow to maneuvering speed on impulse power and stop like a gentleman at the approaching light.

A motorcycle was back there in lane one, so I leave him room between the car in lane one and myself so he can "make a lane" at the light. Puzzlingly, he slides up between us but stops next to my door. I turn my head and see a title printed on the side of his bike "T R A F F I C City of Downey". Oh.

I nodded politely and turned back to adjust my Burmester. Thoroughly expected him to wait until we cleared the signal and then light me up. Nope. I guess the polite spacing and the friendly nod changed his mind.

My management role will probably be in diplomatic affairs.

Gary, who will report on those test drives on Monday
Monday...you'll make us wait until then .oh well...look forward to it
Old 01-19-2013, 07:25 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fester
Monday...you'll make us wait until then .oh well...look forward to it
Would say something now, but I'm in a hotel using a laptop keyboard best suited to hobbits. I'm this close ][ to illiterate without a full size keyboard.

Drove cars. Cars good. Yea.

G
Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePartsMan
I was trying to be a gentleman and have a leisurely drive home from work today when I noticed than a E63 was keeping pace with me. I turned to look at the driver and he motioned with his hand that he wanted to race. Of course I ignored him and made the exit off of the freeway to head home. I looked in the rear view mirror and this man had crossed 4 lanes of traffic to exit behind me. The feeder road contains a 2 mile stretch before intersecting the highway that leads home. While on this feeder road, he pulls up next to me and jumps his car forward. We were already going about 60 mph. I tried to ignore him, but I just decided to put this guy to rest. I motioned to him that I would partake in this contest. From 60 mph he punched it, ad soon after, I just put the pedal to the floor and let the car do what it wills. In no time, he was just a memory. I must admit that I forgot to utilize the sports plus option. Perhaps net time...
Do you have the base 991? I suspect that the E63 didn't have the suffix AMG because I can't see a 991 pulling away from one from 60. The big advantage of the 991 over the E63 is that the E63 is about a thousand lbs heavier. E63's advantage is that it has about 170 more HP and almost 200 lb/ft more torque than a 991. Once you get an E63 up to speed, they are hard to beat. If it were an E63 AMG I'd advise the owner to get a tuneup.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
[...]Once you get an E63 up to speed, they are hard to beat. If it were an E63 AMG I'd advise the owner to get a tuneup.
Actually, I'd advise him to get a life. The results of any street race are determined entirely by who is more worried about losing his license, since both have shown they don't care about risk to bystanders, and public streets aren't configured to challenge modern cars. This ain't Woodward Avenue and these ain't flathead Fords. If you get challenged this way more than once a decade, you may be driving in a way that invites them.

Corvettes get this all the time, but most people assume Porsche owners know better. Get cards printed with the address of the nearest track and the website to find the next DE day for PCA or POC. Flip one to the next challenger. Or flip something else if you ... well, never mind.

Gary
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd like that ride home!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Actually, I'd advise him to get a life. The results of any street race are determined entirely by who is more worried about losing his license, since both have shown they don't care about risk to bystanders, and public streets aren't configured to challenge modern cars. This ain't Woodward Avenue and these ain't flathead Fords. If you get challenged this way more than once a decade, you may be driving in a way that invites them.

Corvettes get this all the time, but most people assume Porsche owners know better. Get cards printed with the address of the nearest track and the website to find the next DE day for PCA or POC. Flip one to the next challenger. Or flip something else if you ... well, never mind.

Gary
Gary - You are 100% on target. Even though I live in the country, there are no public roads where I would be willing to race. If I'm going 150'+ a second, I've got to know that there are no surprises on the road. However since I did race on the streets when I was young and invincible, I'm hesitant to preach to anyone.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 PM
ThePartsMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have the 991S and an E63 is a lug of a heavy car. The stretch of highway that we were travelling was completely safe for this kind of drag race. After I pulled several lengths ahead of him to the point where I could see him the rear view, I let off and let him pass. I am impressed how the PDK downshifted and just allowed the engine to redline before shifting.

Gary, I am sure you are not insinuating that I am a careless driver. No bystanders along this stretch of road.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
Gary - You are 100% on target. Even though I live in the country, there are no public roads where I would be willing to race. If I'm going 150'+ a second, I've got to know that there are no surprises on the road. However since I did race on the streets when I was young and invincible, I'm hesitant to preach to anyone.
Me too about the countryside and my attitude toward surprises. I like corner workers when I go fast.

I can't say that I ever street raced, but I did a few other things best left unmentioned. Surviving our stupid years not only gives us the right but the obligation to mention that it isn't smart to fly into icing conditions with ... ahem. Never mind.

Let's just say that being boring about it is self defeating, but once in a while we have to speak up about diving in cold water wit... Uh... skip it.

Gary, with a very lucky youth

Quick Reply: Smoked an E63 on the way home.....