Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you rather have Sport Chrono or PASM & PTV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Would you rather have Sport Chrono or PASM & PTV?

There are two left over 2012's I have my eye on, they are similarly priced and differ in color and a few options.

So on a 7MT car would you rather have sports chrono or PASM + PTV?

In the past I would have said PASM+PTV but I am interested in the dynamic engine mounts. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SC and PSE for outrageous pops, cracks and burbles in sport/+ modes. Isn't PASM+PTV included with the SC?

I should know this but I keep forgetting.

I get to go driving in 11 minutes. Gawwd I love driving my car.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

On a MT car, Sport Chrono is not needed. It is a must with PDK.

PASM is NOT part of the Sport Chrono package. PTV is nice because you get a real limited slip differential.

Best,
Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with Bob that on a MT car Sport Chrono isn't the "must have" feature it is on a PDK car, although as you point out, it does include Dynamic Engine Mounts. My opinion is that the effect of the DEM will relatively subtle, while PASM and PTV will be quite noticeable and useful and improve performance to a greater degree. I would choose the car that has them, assuming all else is about equal.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:05 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

PASM is a must. PTV I think you would only notice on track. You don't say 3.4 or 3.8 car. If it is strictly a 3.4 road driving car, go with your favorite color combo.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ny991
PASM is a must. PTV I think you would only notice on track. You don't say 3.4 or 3.8 car. If it is strictly a 3.4 road driving car, go with your favorite color combo.
3.4 but i track my boxster 6-8x a year. I think I would strongly favor the PASM + PTV car but it also has PSP which I am kind of leery of.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ny991
I have PTV on my Cayenne S and it sharpens steering response even on the street by helping the car rotate more quickly into a turn. It's probably not as important in a 991 as it is in an SUV, but I suspect it would be noticeable.

Originally Posted by systemr
3.4 but i track my boxster 6-8x a year. I think I would strongly favor the PASM + PTV car but it also has PSP which I am kind of leery of.
There's a recent thread in this forum that deals with Power Steering Plus. It might be helpful to you in addressing your concern, especially the comments by simsgw.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7362...ng-option.html
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by systemr
There are two left over 2012's I have my eye on, they are similarly priced and differ in color and a few options.

So on a 7MT car would you rather have sports chrono or PASM + PTV?

In the past I would have said PASM+PTV but I am interested in the dynamic engine mounts. What are your thoughts?
I agree with the other comments. The PASM and PTV that comes stock with the S option are almost worth the cost in themselves. I'd put those first. PSP isn't an issue either way. Sport Chrono is nice, but low priority on a 7MT car.

Gary
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I am confused. (this happens often, don't be alarmed)

So, I went back to the thread where I introduced the car I'm driving now.

Here is a direct quote from my original post. It (first time of many that I've said) states the amazing 991 PSE burbles and pops that will not happen unless you have Sport Chrono (driving with sport chrono always off or without would be terribly dull I would imagine, and I wouldn't drive a manual without it..that's just me. I'm not trying to butt heads with anyone, but to provide an alternative view to the OP.)

So from my first 991 ownership post:

The 7-speed manual transmission C2S won me over..could not pass it up. Somehow was meant to be. I've been looking for this car my entire life. Brought her home today. The engine music with sport or sport plus and the manual transmission with PSE is just AMAZING. I mean really, really amazing.

Anthracite Brown/Natural Espresso leather interior, black top, '12 C2S:

693 - 6-disc CD/DVD changer
690 - SiriusXM(R) & HD Radio(R) rcvr
680 - BOSE(R) Surround Sound System
P37 - BOSE© Audio Package
630 - Light Design Package
625 - Porsche Entry & Drive
603 - Porsche Dynamic Light System
541 - Seat ventilation (front)
342 - Seat heating (front)
276 - Automatically dimming mirrors
P3C - Prem Pkg Plus w 18-way seats
324 - Adaptive Sport seats Plus (rig
XSC - Porsche Crest on headrests
P07 - Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
671 - Voice Control
998 - Natural leather interior
844 - Multi-function steering wheel
748 - Electric folding ext. mirrors
658 - Power Steering Plus
640 - Sport Chrono Package
636 - ParkAssist (front and rear)
446 - Wheel caps color Porsche crest
427 - 20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
176 - Sport Exhaust System
323 - Adaptive Sport seats Plus

All I'm saying is, I don't see the PASM listed on my options sheet. So - it must be a part of my build somehow..and now that I've just again read Gary's message above, I see that it is perhaps included with the "S" model build and not specifically stated in the options list. Anyway..to the OP..consider Sport Chrono even if it's a manual, if the car has (or you plan to get) PSE. Not a huge deal, you can always add it on later if you want. But after driving a 2S manual Cab with sport chrono for the last several months every single day...I truly must submit this advice: you want..If... you are a driver. If the car is for show and boulevard, that is another case I guess. But still then, for the PSE..grin.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
I am confused. (this happens often, don't be alarmed)

So, I went back to the thread where I introduced the car I'm driving now.

Here is a direct quote from my original post. It (first time of many that I've said) states the amazing 991 PSE burbles and pops that will not happen unless you have Sport Chrono (driving with sport chrono always off or without would be terribly dull I would imagine, and I wouldn't drive a manual without it..that's just me. I'm not trying to butt heads with anyone, but to provide an alternative view to the OP.)

So from my first 991 ownership post:

The 7-speed manual transmission C2S won me over..could not pass it up. Somehow was meant to be. I've been looking for this car my entire life. Brought her home today. The engine music with sport or sport plus and the manual transmission with PSE is just AMAZING. I mean really, really amazing.

Anthracite Brown/Natural Espresso leather interior, black top, '12 C2S:

693 - 6-disc CD/DVD changer
690 - SiriusXM(R) & HD Radio(R) rcvr
680 - BOSE(R) Surround Sound System
P37 - BOSE© Audio Package
630 - Light Design Package
625 - Porsche Entry & Drive
603 - Porsche Dynamic Light System
541 - Seat ventilation (front)
342 - Seat heating (front)
276 - Automatically dimming mirrors
P3C - Prem Pkg Plus w 18-way seats
324 - Adaptive Sport seats Plus (rig
XSC - Porsche Crest on headrests
P07 - Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
671 - Voice Control
998 - Natural leather interior
844 - Multi-function steering wheel
748 - Electric folding ext. mirrors
658 - Power Steering Plus
640 - Sport Chrono Package
636 - ParkAssist (front and rear)
446 - Wheel caps color Porsche crest
427 - 20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
176 - Sport Exhaust System
323 - Adaptive Sport seats Plus

All I'm saying is, I don't see the PASM listed on my options sheet. So - it must be a part of my build somehow..and now that I've just again read Gary's message above, I see that it is perhaps included with the "S" model build and not specifically stated in the options list. Anyway..to the OP..consider Sport Chrono even if it's a manual, if the car has (or you plan to get) PSE. Not a huge deal, you can always add it on later if you want. But after driving a 2S manual Cab with sport chrono for the last several months every single day...I truly must submit this advice: you want..If... you are a driver. If the car is for show and boulevard, that is another case I guess. But still then, for the PSE..grin.
I'm not sure what your concern is regarding Sport Chrono and PSE. Even without Sport Chrono, if you order PSE you will get a button that allows you to engage or disengage it at your whim, with all the associated pops and burbles. And yes, PASM is standard on the "S" as you've discovered.

And congrats on your car, it must be beautiful!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm not sure what your concern is regarding Sport Chrono and PSE. Even without Sport Chrono, if you order PSE you will get a button that allows you to engage or disengage it at your whim, with all the associated pops and burbles. And yes, PASM is standard on the "S" as you've discovered.

And congrats on your car, it must be beautiful!
Hi,

the difference in sound between engaging just the PSE, and the PSE with Sport Chrono..is huge.

PSE without sport chrono, you get the deeper sound, but don't get all the great pops and cracks and burbles you get with Sport Chrono. The SC changes the fuel mapping or whatever and it just ups the sound a ton.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi,

the difference in sound between engaging just the PSE, and the PSE with Sport Chrono..is huge.

PSE without sport chrono, you get the deeper sound, but don't get all the great pops and cracks and burbles you get with Sport Chrono. The SC changes the fuel mapping or whatever and it just ups the sound a ton.
You know, Nico, I didn't think about that interaction. It well may be. I attributed that extra ferocious note in the exhaust to the behavior of Sport Plus with the PDK. How do you know with an MT? We enable or disable Sport Plus with a button on the PDK cars. Is it the same with 7MT cars?

Gary
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Hi,

Hmmmm. Does it perhaps have something to do with the Sound Symposer opening up?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Possibly. Doesn't the S have the two stage symposer depending on RPM?

Also, Nicoli when you mean SC, do you mean the car in Sports Plus mode or are you saying that the pops/burbles of PSE change character with the SC option being on the car regardless of the mode the car is driven?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by simsgw
You know, Nico, I didn't think about that interaction. It well may be. I attributed that extra ferocious note in the exhaust to the behavior of Sport Plus with the PDK. How do you know with an MT? We enable or disable Sport Plus with a button on the PDK cars. Is it the same with 7MT cars?

Gary
Yes indeed, same exactly button setup. Between shifts I get ferocious cracks and pops, moreso in Sports Plus than Sport mode, but both vastly superior in sound to PSE without Sport Chrono. It is like night and day (to me).

Do Cabriolets have the sound symposer? After installing a smart top module back behind the rear seating area and seeing all the little bits under the carpet, I thought they did not, but am not sure.

Originally Posted by rpilot
Possibly. Doesn't the S have the two stage symposer depending on RPM?

Also, Nicoli when you mean SC, do you mean the car in Sports Plus mode or are you saying that the pops/burbles of PSE change character with the SC option being on the car regardless of the mode the car is driven?
There are no pops and gurgles (or very subtle) for me with just the PSE button pressed (no Sport Chrono).

With Sport Chrono pressed (and PSE active) - the pops and crackles and burbles and gurgles are just over the top awesome. Moreso with Sport Plus than Sport, but both modes really "turn on" the PSE, imo.

I would absolutely not buy a manual (with PSE) without Sport Chrono. The difference (to me) is night and day in my Cabriolet. Especially with the top down.

edit to add: I humbly submit the 997-era common knowledge 'Sport Chrono is only for PDK owners' needs a bit of revision. In my daily driving experience of the last few months, Sport Chrono not only opens up the sound of PSE but every other aspect of the car. They did not, in my opinion, stick with the variables modified by 997-era Sport Chrono. It has been expanded and turns the whole car alive, much like the PDK, but for the manual as well. I would not drive a manual without it and only say that after my experience driving with it turned on and off (to experience the 'feel' both ways). I caution anyone considering buying a manual shift 991 without Sport Chrono that they may be seriously hampering the enjoyment of their car if they like to drive in a spirited fashion and hear the pops and gurgles offered by the Sport Exhaust while in Sport or Sport+ mode.

Last edited by Nicoli35; 01-18-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Would you rather have Sport Chrono or PASM & PTV?