Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a new Power Steering option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If this is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), I think it's mildly scandalous that Porsche is charging $270 as an "option" for a 5 minute software tweak.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

All I can say is that coming from a 997 GTS, I test drove a 991 S cab and remarked how overly-light the new car's steering was. I thought it was just the characteristic of the new 991 steering. I didn't like it at all. Then, when I came back to the dealership and looked at the window sticker, I noticed that it had PSP. I subsequently test drove one without it and preferred it much more. I also have a Panamera GTS without it and love the steering. My wife drives it mainly and she likes it too, but then she is a hardcore Porsche girl. I plan to buy a 991C4S very soon, and it will definitely be without it.

Originally Posted by simsgw
No, I don't feel that way at all. I wouldn't even agree that steering is lighter than the same car without it until you get into the lowest speed ranges. And nothing is unpredictable about the transition. In fact, I can't feel the transition. As I say, it doesn't get lighter, it just doesn't let the steering grow heavy as fast as a car without the feature.

I read those original complaints about the new "electric steering" and you have to read those comments with the understanding that the writers were full of what we spread on the fields every year. We've discussed it at length in other threads, but briefly -- and skipping the very long list of things it is not, like 'fly-by-wire' -- it is simply using an electric motor to assist instead of a hydraulic one. This has the advantage of permitting computer control that is much more refined than hydraulic techniques. (I'm talking about all the current cars, not just the PSP option.)

The big difference in feel to me in driving this and a 997 back to back is the change in the chassis, not the change in the steering assist. I can feel the road surface through the steering, and the work being done by the tires, just as easily. Possibly even a little better, because the 997 has some chassis effects going on that distract from the essential information about the tires.

ChuckPDC has a good description of the older feel that I haven't time to dig out just now. Besides, we've talked it to death already. Bottom line: certainly no problem with omitting the Power Steering Plus if you don't need it, but if a car you like has it installed, it won't detract from your enjoyment. And if you need it, it is wonderful.

[Forgot to answer this: Without knowing their motives, I'd say no. We have been complaining of the compromises caused by this issue for decades. It is notorious in muscle cars with all that engine weight on the tires that do the steering. Make it easy to park one and you have a dangerous light steering feel at higher speeds. Hydraulic systems just do not have good solutions that are cost effective. Computer control makes them feasible but it's awfully expensive to do it with this precision in a hydraulic system. It is feasible with an electrical assist motor. At least on a car with a manufacturing cost roll-up that's already as high as the Carrera.]

Gary
Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
If this is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), I think it's mildly scandalous that Porsche is charging $270 as an "option" for a 5 minute software tweak.
Not as scandalous as electrically detuning the 3.4L Boxster S motor to make 10% less power than the mechanically identical 991 Carrera 3.4L motor...
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxy
[...]My car was ordered without PSP, while changing VO and coding the PSP functionality works in full. I assume most dealers do not know how to make these changes or simply would not do it for some policy/procedure considerations.
More likely the latter. They have computer-based manuals that detail how to do all these things.

There is no differences in steering unit or gears between STD and PSP, only different coding controls different boost map.
With respect, this is not demonstrated by what you report. You have shown that the system has no way to check whether the hypothetical additional hardware is actually installed, and that the steering will work with the a mismatch of software and hardware. Mind you, I don't assert that PSP entails additional hardware. I just say that it's entirely plausible that rpilot is right and all you managed to do was install the software map without installing the corresponding hardware.
I think the advertisement is wrong. Having driven with standard steering since September, the PSP boost is still lower (lighter steering) above 70km than standard, albeit heavier than walking speed.
This is the big reason it's worth mentioning this. I have not found that to be the case. My PSP-equipped car has the same steering weight above 70 km as a the 991's I've driven without PSP. Adding additional boost all the way up the range is a questionable engineering choice for most brands and very unlikely for Porsche, given their conviction that every unit should be able to make an Autobahn run at 170 mph. PCNA only just persuaded them with this generation to include tire pressure settings appropriate to our lower speeds in North America.

I think what you've done is make a "probably harmless" change to your configuration.

Gary
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtbscott
If this were true, and I have reason to believe it is not, then they would be charging for the five months and half a million Euro that someone spent developing that software. The dealer will charge for installing that 'tweak'. Or not, according to your relationship.

That's another reason for doubting the 'tweak' is all it takes. Porsche includes coding that makes every software installation specific to your VIN number when the software is a revenue item. Viz: the sport mode software on a 997 which I ordered and installed for about a grand. If PSP were only software, I'm pretty confident it would be VIN-coded and encrypted like all their other products.

Gary
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Not as scandalous as electrically detuning the 3.4L Boxster S motor to make 10% less power than the mechanically identical 991 Carrera 3.4L motor...
Interesting coincidence. Try to get hold of the Dilbert cartoons in the desktop calendar for this year: Jan 28-29.

Gary
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Then likely also not true, because there are multitude of different parts on the top end of the 981 and 991 motors.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Then likely also not true, because there are multitude of different parts on the top end of the 981 and 991 motors.
I'd be interested to see the differences - have you a link handy?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I'd be interested to see the differences - have you a link handy?
I recall it was an answer from a factory rep when asked the question in an interview in some auto mag, but I went looking and still can't find a link. Might have been something actually on paper!

PS- on planet 9 a few months ago we explored the same subject. At the time my post was:
"I believe I read that the engines differ mainly in the intake manifold- due to "room" advantages in the 991 compared to the 981.

But I'd bet it is in the room for product merchandising more than anything that could not be accommodated."
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have shown that the system has no way to check whether the hypothetical additional hardware is actually installed, and that the steering will work with the a mismatch of software and hardware. Mind you, I don't assert that PSP entails additional hardware. I just say that it's entirely plausible that rpilot is right and all you managed to do was install the software map without installing the corresponding hardware.

Gary
I suspect this as well. Here is a link to sonnen porsche parts ordering for the 991...

http://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/par...ow=1&maxRow=10

I chose 991 instead of S, because I did not want to figure out which was the 997 and which one was for 991 since 2012 is the latest part catalog they have. With the 3.4 it is obvious it is the 991. Anyways, they do have 2 different steering racks even though the line diagram for ordering is very similar. If you go through the 3 pages of parts for the 991, note the part where the steering assembly that lists for $1,9xx.xx. Apparently there are 2 different flavors of these even though Porsche is charging the same price for parts. (which in itself is not unusual for a manufacturer).

While this does not definitively prove that there is some kind of gear assembly inside the PSP, it is reasonable to assume that there are 2 different kinds of steering hardware for the 991.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 PM
rpilot
Pro

Furthermore...

From Porsche on 991 chassis..

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...etail/chassis/

On page 2 of the steering section...

"Power steering Plus
Power steering Plus, the comfort-enhancing power-steering system, is available as an option for the 911 Carrera models. At high speeds, the steering is as firm extreme precision while steering comfort remains as high. At low speeds, the steering ratio of Power steering Plus adjusts for much easier maneuvering and parking. "

Of course, it could be miniature space aliens instead of a planetary gear box changing the ratio...

And Also .. Servotronic is simply a marketing name for the Variable Assist part as well as the PSP as far as Porsche is concerned (although a bit muddled and confusing)..
From Porsche on Panamera Hybrid...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/pa...etail/chassis/

In the "Steering and Servotronic" section...

" "Precise" and "direct" describe a Porsche steering system with variable-steering ratio. Around the straight-ahead position, such as during motorway driving, the ratio is less direct with no loss of agility or feedback from the road. When the steering wheel is turned further, the ratio becomes more direct, allowing easier cornering and parking.

Standard on the Panamera S Hybrid and Panamera Turbo S and optional for all other Panamera models is Servotronic, a speed-sensitive power-steering system. At high speeds, the steering is firm and responds with extreme precision while steering comfort remains as high as you would expect. At low speeds, Power Steering Plus, ratio adjusts for easy maneuvering and parking "

And... as far as BMW is concerned (since boxy brought up the BMW connection), Servotronic is their name for the Variable assist technology and they call their Variable Ratio technology, " Active Steering" and they actually talk about planetary gears in there.

---

So, in conclusion, there are two steering racks for the 991 and PSP has variable ratios (albeit it is quite possible miniature space aliens who eat ball bearing grease and respond to electronic stimuli may be changing the ratios instead of planetary gears )
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rpilot
Furthermore...[...]
So, in conclusion, there are two steering racks for the 991 and PSP has variable ratios (albeit it is quite possible miniature space aliens who eat ball bearing grease and respond to electronic stimuli may be changing the ratios instead of planetary gears )
So we're either talking about planetary gears or galactic gearheads?

Gary
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 AM
rpilot
Pro

So we're either talking about planetary gears or galactic gearheads?

Gary

In all seriousness though, if Porsche is using a different way to change steering ratios instead of planetary gears, I would love to know. But since these steering racks all come from the usual suspects.. ZF, Thyssen Krups, etc (with Porsche tuned software of course) and AFAIK, these companies use planetary gears for VGR (variable gear ratio) steering assemblies.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

IF Power Steering Plus can be enabled via software what about
voice control
bluetooth
navi
and so on ?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
IF Power Steering Plus can be enabled via software what about
voice control
bluetooth
navi
and so on ?
With coding you are dealing with a configuration program that simply enables or disables features. All of these features require additional hardware to be installed.
So at best, enabling something that has no supporting hardware does precisely nothing at all and at worst, fools related equipment to modify its behaviour in anticipation of the missing support (This can cause all sorts of undesirable behaviour including software lockups).

Yes, you could well have features that are entirely coded in software that do not require any form of additional hardware (or different hardware) installed. When a manufacturer does this they will not allow the dealers to be able to simply check a tickbox in a configuration program to enable the unpaid for feature. Unless somebody goofed up of course...

I'm with Gary on this one...

Rainier

Quick Reply: Why a new Power Steering option?