Sponsored by:

Battery drain with entry & drive key

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery drain with entry & drive key

After sitting in my garage for 16 days the battery was so dead than I couldn't even open the trunk with the threshold switch. I got it open per OM (jumper cables to fuse box/ door stop post). Since the light switch was on auto I couldn't determine why the battery went dead. After a comical amount of shifting of cars and motorcycles, I jumped it off my Audi. I called my sales guy and after some discussion he determined that my habit of leaving my key in the center console was stupid. He was much kinder in his characterization, but that was the conclusion that I came to. I have entry and drive and apparently if you don't get the remote key at least 10' away from the car there are current drawing things that don't turn off. I make this post because there is no indication That I found find of this potential problem in the OM. You may wonder why I would choose to leave the key in the car. I haved lived by few rules but two are: never have a job that I can't take my dogs to, and never live where I need to lock my house or car. I hope this saves some grief for you guys...Chris
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip.

I like your thinking about job and home choices but..........a Porsche with a key in it may be more then the best 15 year old can resist. Hide the key. Thinking back if it were me anything could happen. I actually let my 15 year old with a 3 month old permit drive my car because I don't want it to be forbidden fruit.

16 days is a long time. Might want to consider a battery maintainer. I have one and it is in charge mode more then you would think is would be.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
After sitting in my garage for 16 days the battery was so dead than I couldn't even open the trunk w.... I called my sales guy and after some discussion he determined that my habit of leaving my key in the center console was stupid. He was much kinder in his characterization, but that was the conclusion that I came to. I have entry and drive and apparently if you don't get the remote key at least 10' away from the car there are current drawing things that don't turn off.
What stays on to drain the battery?
Does locking the car shut the whatever it is off?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

I have had a Panamera Turbo (2 years) with entry and drive and a 991 with entry and drive (7 months old) and leave my keys in the center console - same as you...never an issue...wonder if there wasn't something else that caused this? I do drive my cars often, so never have had them sit for that long...wonder if it might have been something else?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
Thanks for the tip.

I like your thinking about job and home choices but..........a Porsche with a key in it may be more then the best 15 year old can resist. Hide the key. Thinking back if it were me anything could happen. I actually let my 15 year old with a 3 month old permit drive my car because I don't want it to be forbidden fruit.

16 days is a long time. Might want to consider a battery maintainer. I have one and it is in charge mode more then you would think is would be.
My 991 had 175 miles on it, and a 16 year old new driver that is a car head helped me wax it. I let him drive it down the driveway by himself, about 400 yards, but he had to keep it in 1st gear. That kid is still smiling!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
After sitting in my garage for 16 days the battery was so dead than I couldn't even open the trunk with the threshold switch. I got it open per OM (jumper cables to fuse box/ door stop post). Since the light switch was on auto I couldn't determine why the battery went dead. After a comical amount of shifting of cars and motorcycles, I jumped it off my Audi. I called my sales guy and after some discussion he determined that my habit of leaving my key in the center console was stupid. He was much kinder in his characterization, but that was the conclusion that I came to. I have entry and drive and apparently if you don't get the remote key at least 10' away from the car there are current drawing things that don't turn off. I make this post because there is no indication That I found find of this potential problem in the OM. You may wonder why I would choose to leave the key in the car. I haved lived by few rules but two are: never have a job that I can't take my dogs to, and never live where I need to lock my house or car. I hope this saves some grief for you guys...Chris
I put the car on a battery maintainer overnight. As I approached the car with the key in my pocket I noticed that the maintainer's fully charged green light shifted to yellow charging status

Now I understand what happened.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool...I'm going to try that.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

I encountered similar issue of battery drainage with my bmw with convenience access feature but it was after 4 years of so....this could be something else draining the battery..
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

in the UK, leaving car key in the car will invalidate your insurance
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

havent experience this yet with new C2S that has entry and drive. according to the manual the E&D turns off after 96 hours on drivers side and 36 hours on passenger side. i would certainly hope porsche would fix this if a problem!!!! but i did buy a charger just in case

Quick Reply: Battery drain with entry & drive key