Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 991 'software updates' -- real or imagined?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts
Default The 991 'software updates' -- real or imagined?

The forums abound with vague references to supposed 'software updates'.

Mostly, they seem to be of the variety 'I heard that there may be an update to System X', but little clarity seems to exist as to what is real and what is fiction.

I called PCNA, and they said it's a dealer thing -- and dealer tells me car's record is clear. (PCNA does give you the 'campaigns', but I think the software things are more on-demand type things?)

What, if anything, have you all had done as far as rumored software updates to PDK, Steering, PDCC... other? Any noticeable changes?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also curious about this. I always learned from forums when my old Boxster updates were available.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm under the impression that most dealers will only do non-recall/campaign updates if the customer has a specific complaint or issue. If there's a software version update available for say, the PCM system, but the customer has not voiced any concerns about his current system, then most likely you would not get the latest and greatest. I guess I can understand the dealer's & Porsche's position as far as not fixing something that isn't broken.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are software updates every time the dealer has the car in. Things have changed. The steering is nothing like the one I got when I took delivery of the car in Feb 12. The key less entry bugs have been sorted out. There may be other changes too which I have not been able to notice.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
There are software updates every time the dealer has the car in. Things have changed. The steering is nothing like the one I got when I took delivery of the car in Feb 12. The key less entry bugs have been sorted out. There may be other changes too which I have not been able to notice.
All software updates done on new cars are documented in the cars records and on the paperwork provided by the dealer. I have had every campaign done, including a software update involving the PDK, but and none involving steering or keyless entry.

What are the factory bulletin/campaign number details for your steering and keyless entry updates?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

I too would love to hear of any steering software updates. My car is a Mar 12 build.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 75 Posts

Me too!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by aamersa
Please expand on the update to your steering
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Chuck -- do you have the name/code/whatever for the PDK update?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by fbroen
Chuck -- do you have the name/code/whatever for the PDK update?
My car is a Jan 2012 build.
Here is what is on the paperwork/ invoice of 06 aug 2012:

- Campaign WC25
ELE Electrical Concern (no parts listed so I assume something was checked)

- Campaign WC27
WC270660001 (.05 for some part unspecified)
Performed WC27 - Reprogrammed PDK Trans Module

My car is a Jan 2012 build, I recall reading a couple of theories:
- they had some sort of uncommon fault condition that prevented operation and this fixed it
- that somehow the shifts were made "softer" or slower for reliability .

I could feel no difference at all after it was done.

There seems to be some misinformation floating around based on rumors and theories: a common view of software- its all magic in any case.

Other campaigns discussed here involved Cabs. My dealer's first cab gave them fits.

WC28, A/C pipe O rings
WC34, front control unit.
WC40, Wind deflector. Rework the wind deflector using super fin long-life spray-on grease
WC41, Tension Ropes. Replace both convertible top tension ropes.
WC38, Seat belt opening.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 01-13-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:05 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i had 997.2 and once they updated the pdk it was night and day, i wish the 991 had a more badass update for the pdk... i feel like it's always pulling timing to induce traction control even w/ the PSM turned off... not trying to do donuts or silly stuff, but the PSM just steps in way too much on 991 and i feel like the trans feathers the gears too much (non sport chrono model which could explain something, i'm sure sport plus is badass)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Thx Chuck -- so the PDK is an actual Code Campaign -- perhaps means early cars only, since my March build does not have that.

Now let's see if the other updates are real. Steering, PDCC, anyone?

Riley -- in Sport Plus, sometimes I am afraid the box will fall out the back with its banging in gears... Not much subtlety there.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i had 997.2 and once they updated the pdk it was night and day, i wish the 991 had a more badass update for the pdk... i feel like it's always pulling timing to induce traction control even w/ the PSM turned off... not trying to do donuts or silly stuff, but the PSM just steps in way too much on 991 and i feel like the trans feathers the gears too much (non sport chrono model which could explain something, i'm sure sport plus is badass)
Definitely not something I've noticed with mine. I normally run in sport mode, not sports plus. I doubt it has anything to do with traction control intervention unless you're talking about driving on packed snow with patches of ice.

Gary
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by fbroen
Thx Chuck -- so the PDK is an actual Code Campaign -- perhaps means early cars only, since my March build does not have that.

Now let's see if the other updates are real. Steering, PDCC, anyone?

Riley -- in Sport Plus, sometimes I am afraid the box will fall out the back with its banging in gears... Not much subtlety there.
I recieved notice from the dealer about the campaigns, and all were invoiced. The dealer service manager apparently learned what they entailed from my car as is it was one of the first they sold, and I responded promptly. The tech who did some of the work is an old friend and while he had been trained extensively of the 991, mine was his first actual experience and taking stuff apart. He advised that it was not much different effort wise (in terms removing stuff to get to stuff) than working on a 997, just new to him and the shop, so they took more time. They did not have the tools needed to do the front seal campaign - and a Porsche certified body shop specializing in that was used.

It is my understanding that the campaigns to deal with potential fuel line chaffing, AC O ring replacement due to leaks, front compartment/front bulkhead seals, and Cab top mechanism install quirks were for cars built before March 2012.

I don't know about the build date details of the PDK reprogramming or the replacement of changeover valves (due to defective insulaton).
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by simsgw
Definitely not something I've noticed with mine. I normally run in sport mode, not sports plus. I doubt it has anything to do with traction control intervention unless you're talking about driving on packed snow with patches of ice.

Gary
The 991 PDK - along with all of the other systems affecting engine, brake and LSD are much evolved from the 997. Everything seems more optimized for each of the selectable modes, with the smoothness of the downshift to first in normal when stopping, and the hammer blow downshifts of Sport Plus when braking hard being the most obvious things I noticed. Sport Plus in the S does everything except start the roof lights and sirens.

Quick Reply: The 991 'software updates' -- real or imagined?