Sponsored by:

Ashtray Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 PM
RMR991
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ashtray Install

I got the ashtray for the 991 for Christmas and wanted to replace the coin holder. I can't get the coin holder out. Any suggestions? Do I have to have my dealership install? I like the look of the closed lid. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 PM
meine911
Racer

Can't offer help, but would like to know if it is a good match and where it was acquired. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a suggestion that can not only save your health, but put $1,500 in your pocket every year.
Quit smoking.
Don't say you are planning on smoking in that new 991. Yuck.
Sorry, but my mom passed away from smoking at a very young age, so I'm a touch biased.
I try to encourage any smoker I can, to give up the nasty habit.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
I have a suggestion that can not only save your health, but put $1,500 in your pocket every year.
Quit smoking.
Don't say you are planning on smoking in that new 991. Yuck.
Sorry, but my mom passed away from smoking at a very young age, so I'm a touch biased.
I try to encourage any smoker I can, to give up the nasty habit.
I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming his comment that he "likes the look of the closed lid" is his reason for getting the ashtray. I also guess that most people who spec the "smoking package" for the bin with the lid and the extra outlet have no intention of sparking one up in their 991.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 PM
RMR991
3rd Gear

I have no intention of smoking in the car, I just like the look. The ashtray was purchased from Suncoast and is the proper ashtray for the smokers package. Based on lack of response I am guessing nobody else has attempted the replacement. Planning on calling the local Porsche dealership to see what needs to be done and how much it costs if they install, including wiring the plug.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 PM
meine911
Racer

Originally Posted by RMR991
I have no intention of smoking in the car, I just like the look. The ashtray was purchased from Suncoast and is the proper ashtray for the smokers package. Based on lack of response I am guessing nobody else has attempted the replacement. Planning on calling the local Porsche dealership to see what needs to be done and how much it costs if they install, including wiring the plug.
Thanks. Keep us posted.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you smoke dope, which I never ever do, you shouldn't do it while driving.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Odo3
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the look of the closed lid as well. Look forward to hearing what you find out. Suncoast should provide instructions...
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I would buy a well done hinged lid to press into the existing hole. Aluminum with an inlayed ceramic Porsche crest, please.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK. My mistake.
I just figured it made sense that if you get the "smoking Package" you will probably use it because you smoke.
Common sense error.
No offense intended, I just like to encourage those who smoke to quit.
Enjoy your machine.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 AM
ArthurK
Racer

Originally Posted by MAHack
I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming his comment that he "likes the look of the closed lid" is his reason for getting the ashtray. I also guess that most people who spec the "smoking package" for the bin with the lid and the extra outlet have no intention of sparking one up in their 991.
+1 I too optioned the smokers package mainly for the compartment lid. I didnt like the open tray. I am a non smoker so a bit of an assumption that smokers package => smoker.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Fabolous
Intermediate

I also got the smokers package and do not smoke. I bet most folks that take the time to go on these forums like their 911 too much to smoke in it. *shrug*
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabolous
I also got the smokers package and do not smoke. I bet most folks that take the time to go on these forums like their 911 too much to smoke in it. *shrug*
Ditto. I would just assume there are a lot more people getting the smoking package than are actual smokers. I read about it on the forums (dealer didn't point it out) - get a cover to avoid the open hole in the center console + get an extra outlet, all for $0... I mean, how many Porsche options can you say that about?

Interesting tidbit from a relative of my wife's who works at Ford (or maybe it's common knowledge and not interesting, but here it is anyway!): They stopped installing lighters in passenger vehicles years ago (falling demand and saves them money putting in just a power connector instead), but if you buy a pickup/truck, you still get a lighter. Construction crowd and all.

Quick Reply: Ashtray Install