Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will Porsche ever offer free scheduled maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:43 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
That's the best way to compensate an employee; the more you earn for your employer, the more you earn as the employee. Incentive is the engine of capitalism. To pay an employee just to "be there" is a waste of both the employer's money and the employee's time. I have several attorneys in my office that I pay that way and other than us partners, they are the highest compensated attorneys in my office.
I get what you're saying. But its a razor thin tightrope to say its as flat out simple as that.

If the sales honcho in question doesn't have the long term best interests of that particular dealership as well as the over all brand in mind, it will eventually backfire.

Anyone can go over a used car and find something. A pure revenue generating attitude will eventually backfire. I saw it happen with two high end German shops (non dealer, but the same principle applies) who first gained great reputations for quality, price and fairness, then let it go to their heads big time. One had one of the better mechanics branch off and start his own shop and brought with him a lot of business the original shop never got back.

I fully intend on sticking with my dealer (whom I picked precicely because of their fair reputation) of purchase for all warranty and post warranty maintenance, as well as repeat business for another vehicle in a couple years. But one sleeze ball move (and I know what to look for) and I'm out of there forever.

There's more to financial success than who can get the most billable hours this quarter. Higher end, smaller "community" dealers like Porsche are far more vulnerable to the costly effects of a lost reputation because there simply isn't as much volume or churn to make up for it that other mass produced brands may have (and even they aren't immune).
Old 02-12-2014, 08:08 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

The cost of 40,000 miles of Porsche maintenance is around $1700 and that's a high estimate. Sure there are dealers doing

I like working on my own car and my cost for the recommended maintenance is about $600 - I change the oil every 5000 miles so my cost is greater. The big job is at 40000 miles as filters and plugs are changed. Still it's not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I get what you're saying. But its a razor thin tightrope to say its as flat out simple as that.

If the sales honcho in question doesn't have the long term best interests of that particular dealership as well as the over all brand in mind, it will eventually backfire.

Anyone can go over a used car and find something. A pure revenue generating attitude will eventually backfire. I saw it happen with two high end German shops (non dealer, but the same principle applies) who first gained great reputations for quality, price and fairness, then let it go to their heads big time. One had one of the better mechanics branch off and start his own shop and brought with him a lot of business the original shop never got back.

I fully intend on sticking with my dealer (whom I picked precicely because of their fair reputation) of purchase for all warranty and post warranty maintenance, as well as repeat business for another vehicle in a couple years. But one sleeze ball move (and I know what to look for) and I'm out of there forever.

There's more to financial success than who can get the most billable hours this quarter. Higher end, smaller "community" dealers like Porsche are far more vulnerable to the costly effects of a lost reputation because there simply isn't as much volume or churn to make up for it that other mass produced brands may have (and even they aren't immune).
A good service employee will call the customer and advise of the recommended/needed work and let the customer decide. Since the car is already in the shop, most customers will approve the work which will increase the dealers profit and his own pay.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
A good service employee will call the customer and advise of the recommended/needed work and let the customer decide. Since the car is already in the shop, most customers will approve the work which will increase the dealers profit and his own pay.
True. For a while. But eventually they will get the reputation of soaking the customer. Porsche customers aren't stupid and its a very small community; word gets around. Save me money and you'll get more of my money in the long run than trying to soak me on one particular visit, even if you may end up being "successful" that one time.

Quick Reply: will Porsche ever offer free scheduled maintenance?