Sponsored by:

Cold-Blooded Engine it seems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Oh, I'm sure its much more elaborate than one simple rheostat. My point was that I'd expect to see pretty much the same temp rise changes either way. More dramatically of course with 9 modes but different only in degree not the general trend.

Back when I was reading everything they had on-line I could have sworn somewhere it said they use 7 different electric oil pumps. But last night, only found one reference to thermal management that mentioned "an" electric oil pump. I'm sure they must use more than just one.
When you get your 991 you can amuse yourself watching the water temp rise, the oil temp rise to match and then exceed it by 10-20 degrees, and then pushing the sport button and seeing the oil temp come down fairly fast to 10-20degrees cooler than the water.

PS - I asked the tech where to oil cooler was and he said there was a combined water and oil cooer system on the top of the engine. In my ol 911SC I had an oil radiator (installed at the factory in place of the loop that was standard but that is another story). I never could get the water temperature guage working on my 911 SC.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

In addition to all the computer gizzmo stuff at work, you have to consider the heat transfer effectiveness of water vs oil. I believe water is better at heat transfer than oil, so based on that alone, you would expect the water to heat up faster than the oil. You also have to consider the mass of the water vs the oil, and the mass flow rates of the two through the engine during warmup.

I am not a fluids expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
In addition to all the computer gizzmo stuff at work, you have to consider the heat transfer effectiveness of water vs oil. I believe water is better at heat transfer than oil, so based on that alone, you would expect the water to heat up faster than the oil. You also have to consider the mass of the water vs the oil, and the mass flow rates of the two through the engine during warmup.

I am not a fluids expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Better get your fluids checked asap.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Better get your fluids checked asap.
I value your advice and will get fluids checked asap.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

this is not unusual
Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read this thread with great interest.

One issue still niggles with me; early on in my Rennlist days - I'm guessing 2005/6 or thereabouts - a member with a great deal of knowledge in such matters wrote a terrific treatise on the function(s) of the oil in our engines. I read it avidly and what I most recall taking from it was his statement that the main function of the engine-oil is cooling, not lubrication.

This was certainly news to me then; however, reading this thread there appears to be learned opinion inferring that that may not actually be the case. Or am I mistaken?

Thank you anyway, gentlemen, for the time taken to enlighten the dorks here!

ps: there once was a man called OCBen.....sounds like the start to a limerick, I know, but really, times like this Ben would've swooped in having found exactly that earlier thread.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by draxa

One issue still niggles with me; early on in my Rennlist days - I'm guessing 2005/6 or thereabouts - a member with a great deal of knowledge in such matters wrote a terrific treatise on the function(s) of the oil in our engines. I read it avidly and what I most recall taking from it was his statement that the main function of the engine-oil is cooling, not lubrication.

This was certainly news to me then; however, reading this thread there appears to be learned opinion inferring that that may not actually be the case. Or am I mistaken?
I don't think anyone here was making the case that the "main function" was cooling. Oil lubricates best at the specific optimal temps for which it is formulated, so keeping it there is the goal of oil regulatory systems. Ditto for other engine systems. And many work together, hence the software to convert that knowledge into mechanical effects.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 01-08-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anyone here was making the case that the "main function" was cooling. Oil lubricates best at the specific optimal temps for which it is formulated, so keeping it there is the goal of oil regulatory systems. Ditto for other engine systems. And many work together, hence the software to ocnvert that knowledge into mechanical effects.

OK. I think perhaps I was led astray by the first two sentences in this paragraph of Chuck's:

"Not so much the oil though. Because, while coolant is channelled to dissipate heat, oil is only pumped where its needed for lubrication- and as its needed for lubrication all the time, its pumped all the time. Coolant, meanwhile, is controlled by temperature. Very little flows below a certain point, while maximum flow is only attained under conditions of high ambient temp and full engine load. There is in other words a great deal of coolant overhead capacity. The distinction here perfectly explains the varying temps, with no computer and just one rheostat."

In fact he only deals with a specific function of the oil - lubrication - whilst not necessarily excluding any other functions.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts

I asked the tech where to oil cooler was and he said there was a combined water and oil cooer system on the top of the engine.
Yes, and notorious for eventually leaking (after the warranty period of course) and requiring an engine drop to repair. Let's hope Porsche fixed this!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa

This was certainly news to me then; however, reading this thread there appears to be learned opinion inferring that that may not actually be the case. Or am I mistaken? [...]
It is not the case. Cooling is a function of oil, especially in the air-cooled Porsche engines, but the primary purpose is always lubrication. Just as the primary purpose of measuring the oil temperature is to infer the temperature of the most hard-working components. It is cheaper to do so, and the temps reported are closer to everyday values that drivers understand, than if we measured and reported the cylinder head temp, let alone the exhaust valve temps. Measuring the stress on the bearings of an operating engine requires a completely different class of sensor of great cost.

All those possibilities meld into an idiot light in family sedans and because most of us put our cars through a wider range of situations, sports cars report the temperature of oil and water-based coolant as well as oil pressure and other tidbits.

Gary
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by simsgw
All those possibilities meld into an idiot light in family sedans and because most of us put our cars through a wider range of situations, sports cars report the temperature of oil and water-based coolant as well as oil pressure and other tidbits.

Gary
And lets face it, enthusiasts enjoy seeing the colorful computer graphic display that is redundant with analog guages to the far left and right of the comprehensively instrumented dash (the hard to see ones just behind where I set the steering wheel).

I imagine that next year the configurator will offer a moderate cost option to store the data for analysis on personal computers, to pour over after a drive. A somewhat higher cost option on the GT3 will be real time transmission (along with tire pressure) back to the to the pit to get one ready for the session after lunch. Proof that racing technology improves the breed will be evident when Porsche gets back into F1 and a hunderd other things are clocked, cell phones have terabit memories, and apps are available to analyze and display the data.

At some point, it may be possible to get a red warning light, as a reasonable cost option.

Slow afternoon here.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

[...] At some point, it may be possible to get a red warning light, as a reasonable cost option.

Slow afternoon here.
I can tell!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And lets face it, enthusiasts enjoy seeing the colorful computer graphic display that is redundant with analog guages to the far left and right of the comprehensively instrumented dash (the hard to see ones just behind where I set the steering wheel).

I imagine that next year the configurator will offer a moderate cost option to store the data for analysis on personal computers, to pour over after a drive. A somewhat higher cost option on the GT3 will be real time transmission (along with tire pressure) back to the to the pit to get one ready for the session after lunch. Proof that racing technology improves the breed will be evident when Porsche gets back into F1 and a hunderd other things are clocked, cell phones have terabit memories, and apps are available to analyze and display the data.

At some point, it may be possible to get a red warning light, as a reasonable cost option.

Slow afternoon here.
All I want is a good old fashion dip stick. Is that too much to ask for?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Well, it does impose annoying limitations on the designer you know. And since it isn't as reliable as an electronic gauge we prefer an electronic read-out when the minor extra cost isn't an issue. I must say the one on the 991 is much more pleasant to use than the one on my 997.

Gary
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
You can get an old fashion dip stick at any Porsche service department, speed shop, swap meet, and some junk yards. You may have to get an old fashion Porsche, and a garage drip pan to make old fashion use of it.

Quick Reply: Cold-Blooded Engine it seems