Sponsored by:

Roof Tansport System

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 AM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof Tansport System

Anyone have any thoughts on the factory roof transport system versus an after market?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
Anyone have any thoughts on the factory roof transport system versus an after market?
Since you've had no reply from an owner of the RTS, I might as well offer my views as a non-owner. The fittings are quite well mated to the roof and the various versions seem quite effective. I've seen people carrying all the things I ever carried on a conventional roof rack with the exception of an 18' cargo canoe. I don't insist the RTS couldn't handle that, but I wouldn't care to risk my own Carrera with an aerodynamic load like that. We carried ours on a beater Camaro.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the RTS if I still had a coupe and once again had the pleasant chore of carrying such loads.

Gary
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the RTS and carry bikes on it all the time. If you search my posts you'll find several pictures. It is without a doubt the best integrated OEM rack I have ever had and I don't know why you'd even think of going aftermarket (if Thule or Yakima even offer one.) It bolts directly to tabs mounted in the roof under the rubber trim, very secure, let's just say mine has been speed tested. I also get tons of compliments for actually using my car as opposed to garage queening only.

Now a bit about pricing of the RTS. I believe if you order it as a factory option when you buy the car it's only $400, retail price at the dealer will be closer to $600, I got them to throw it in at cost + shipping which was about $425. The comical thing to me is that it's made by Votec, who makes pretty much all of the OEM racks for Euro cars. The crossbars for my Audi TT-RS were $109, the ones for my MINI were $249, the Porsche one comes with its extra Porsche tax.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm looking to put my bike on it. I don't know a lot about these systems as I typically just ride out my front door or use my wife's suv when I need to drive somewhere to ride so please forgive the following basic questions.

The transport system just allows a bike rack to be bolted to it, correct? And the system is easily attached and removed from the car when not needed? Of course I would expect there to be no chance of car damage (if used correctly) with the oem system?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Second the endorsement of the RTS. Very well designed and integrated with the new clever flip-up attachment points in the roof. Through bolted into those attachment points so very secure. And the rack feet do not touch the roof, but are offset just above the roof.

Quick Reply: Roof Tansport System