Questions about some options

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:46 PM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about some options

I'm going through my 991S build now and had a few questions about some options:

1. With the electric folding mirrors, does the passenger side mirror tilt downward so you can see the curb while reversing? The one on my BMW did, and I thought it was a very useful feature.

2. With the front and rear park assists, will they detect very low lying objects like parking blocks? Had these on my BMW and they did not, causing me to scrape the bottom of my car countless times. Very annoying.

3. Anyone have any info on the adaptive cruise control (ACC) with Porsche Active Safe (PAS)? I did an extensive search on this and the best I could come up with was this video:

They demonstrate the ACC part of it but not the PAS part (probably didn't have it). The Porsche web site is not very helpful either; seems to say that it will apply some braking for you in an emergency situation and even magnify your own braking effort, but will not stop the car completely by itself (which I guess is a good thing, in case it's a false alarm or something). They also mention that there would be "audible and visual warnings" but don't say what they are. Anyone know how obtrusive these are, and how sensitive they are at being triggered? And can they be disabled? I wouldn't want them to be constantly going off in everyday traffic (not that I normally tailgate or anything).

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

1. Yep and is selectable as in can be turned off and on as in the BMW.

2. Yes, sometimes. Not consistently but most of the time. Just remember to go very slow as stated in manual.

3. No.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM
ww007
Instructor

Originally Posted by holminator
1. Yep and is selectable as in can be turned off and on as in the BMW.

2. Yes, sometimes. Not consistently but most of the time. Just remember to go very slow as stated in manual.

3. No.

Hope that helps.
Yes thanks for the info. That makes the electric mirrors and parking sensors really useful.

Now about the ACC and PAS... anybody???
Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ww007
Yes thanks for the info. That makes the electric mirrors and parking sensors really useful.

Now about the ACC and PAS... anybody???
Porsche has a video showing it in action. I don't like what it is designed to accomplish so I didn't pay much attention, and I can't find it using this toy computer's keyboard. But check the Porsche channel on YouTube. I believe that, like Mercedes, the system will bring you to a complete halt if necessary to avoid collisions, but I had tuned out the concept before reaching that discussion so I'm not at all sure.

Gary
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 PM
ww007
Instructor

Thanks Gary. Couldn't find the video you were describing, but found something better: the instruction manual.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...nual/4/160/ACC

The PAS section is after the ACC one.

Now granted this is for a Cayenne, but I'm guessing it's the same system. It doesn't seem to be in the 911 section yet.

Based on what they're describing, I think I'll pass on the ACC with PAS. Sounds like too many limitations (i.e., will get confused around curves, won't detect a merging vehicle until it's completely in your lane) and a hassle to use. You can't use it in stop and go traffic since whenever you come to a complete stop, you have to manually reactivate the ACC with the stalk and gently press on the accelerator to nudge it along; two steps when it would be easier just to drive normally!

Plus they mention that the brake pedal may feel "different" during ACC use but describe this as "normal behavior." I'd think it would be very disconcerting to have the brake pedal change its feel while driving!

The PAS is not much better (you can have it active even with the ACC off, or turn both off completely). It has various stages of warning, with only the most dire (imminent) warning active by default. The warnings show up in the multifunction display, and there is also an audible alert and "braking jolt" for the final warning. It helps in braking by "prefilling" the brakes and by "Reduction of the activation threshold of the Brake Assist function", whatever those mean. My interpretation is that it readies the brakes for hard braking, and magnifies your breaking effort. In any case it sounds like you kind of have to adapt to the system and may be startled by the warnings and panic in an emergency situation, which is not what you'd want to happen. Maybe if there was a way to "practice" emergency braking with the warnings somehow.

In any case it sounds like the system is not quite ready for prime time. Maybe in a few years they'll have systems that can overcome these limitations and truly be able to prevent crashes (possibly Volvo already has some of these systems?). In the meanwhile, I'll enjoy saving the $2400 dollars or so that this option costs.

BTW don't know if it's been posted before but that looks like a great web site for prospective Porsche customers to see how a particular option they are contemplating works, and decide if it is right for them.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ww007
Thanks Gary. Couldn't find the video you were describing, but found something better: the instruction manual.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...nual/4/160/ACC

The PAS section is after the ACC one.

Now granted this is for a Cayenne, but I'm guessing it's the same system. It doesn't seem to be in the 911 section yet.

Based on what they're describing, I think I'll pass on the ACC with PAS. Sounds like too many limitations (i.e., will get confused around curves, won't detect a merging vehicle until it's completely in your lane) and a hassle to use. You can't use it in stop and go traffic since whenever you come to a complete stop, you have to manually reactivate the ACC with the stalk and gently press on the accelerator to nudge it along; two steps when it would be easier just to drive normally!

Plus they mention that the brake pedal may feel "different" during ACC use but describe this as "normal behavior." I'd think it would be very disconcerting to have the brake pedal change its feel while driving!

The PAS is not much better (you can have it active even with the ACC off, or turn both off completely). It has various stages of warning, with only the most dire (imminent) warning active by default. The warnings show up in the multifunction display, and there is also an audible alert and "braking jolt" for the final warning. It helps in braking by "prefilling" the brakes and by "Reduction of the activation threshold of the Brake Assist function", whatever those mean. My interpretation is that it readies the brakes for hard braking, and magnifies your breaking effort. In any case it sounds like you kind of have to adapt to the system and may be startled by the warnings and panic in an emergency situation, which is not what you'd want to happen. Maybe if there was a way to "practice" emergency braking with the warnings somehow.

In any case it sounds like the system is not quite ready for prime time. Maybe in a few years they'll have systems that can overcome these limitations and truly be able to prevent crashes (possibly Volvo already has some of these systems?). In the meanwhile, I'll enjoy saving the $2400 dollars or so that this option costs.

BTW don't know if it's been posted before but that looks like a great web site for prospective Porsche customers to see how a particular option they are contemplating works, and decide if it is right for them.
Exactly the conclusion I reached. For now at least, it's better to pay attention when I'm behind the wheel.

Gary
Old 12-09-2012, 11:23 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

auto dipping mirror on reverse only with electric memory seats

Quick Reply: Questions about some options