solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all good......Chris
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way this guy's for real. He is just jerking our chains to see what we say....991 is nothing of that sort...
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toplabels
There is no way this guy's for real. He is just jerking our chains to see what we say....991 is nothing of that sort...
actually, no, I'm not jerking your (or anyone else's) chain - and despite what some think, there has been some useful perspective in the thread - I loved the car when I drove off with it, and what I was trying to see is if others have had a similar issue - a few have, although with different cars. I actually have not decided what I want to do, I am not inclined to be precipitous, but as many pointed out, it makes no sense to keep a $$ car if you don't like it.

I suspect right now the car has decided to see if it can annoy me - maybe these things are alive, and threatening it will scare it into making me happy again..... or not.

Oh, and for those that point out that a suburban is bigger - I can't fit the suburban down my driveway, and the 59 cad will barely fit, with 3 inches clearance, so I don't drive it down the driveway either. If I were to put the 991 in the driveway next to the house, it would be impossible to exit the car, it's wider than my 51 dodge.

So, for a few days/weeks, I'm going to see what happens, and I'll park the car in the street while I work on some other projects - I certainly understand that I can sell it, even at a significant loss and buy many other cars, but that certainly wasn't my intent when I bought it.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:10 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Happiness comes from within.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 AM
rotero8513
Track Day

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
by the way, it's been raining lately - a light rain, and if I come back to the car after letting it sit for a few hours (outside, of course), there is so much water condensation on the inside of the windshield that it is running in rivulets down the inside - I've never had that happen - is this something you guys are seeing?
She is in tears bcz you really dont love her. My 991S make me happy every time , I drive with a smile on my face. Let her go!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh, and for those that point out that a suburban is bigger - I can't fit the suburban down my driveway, and the 59 cad will barely fit, with 3 inches clearance, so I don't drive it down the driveway either. If I were to put the 991 in the driveway next to the house, it would be impossible to exit the car, it's wider than my 51 dodge.
So the real problem is your driveway. Why blame it on the 991? The dimensions of a 991 were never a secret. The car did not fault you in any way. It is your own fault.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

But gentlemen, we have already uncovered that it is my abhorring sense of humor with videos, penchant for subtle ad hominem, and mercurial prose. How dare you. You deny me my shame, which is most unsportsmanlike. Guard you tongues, for yee be aware that as adults we cannot weather criticism and controversy on our own if a stand is taken against the 991. For shame.

Surely it must be okay to walk into full church on a Sunday morning and profess ones dislike for God out in the open. Any such comparison here would be ummmm.... Oops.

<Copying Chris Rock, holminator throws the microphone at the floor and walks off stage, getting in his 991 and driving to a no name Bryan's Road, Maryland bar that doubles as a liquor store with a drive through window.>

Last edited by holminator; 12-07-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Life's too short and apparently your driveway too narrow. As much as I love Porsches, I realize there are a few other cars that other people love just as much. We all make mistakes. Do what makes you happy.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I believe you are. Maybe your driveway is the problem? Haha just kidding. But I don't believe the modern 911 is for you. Perhaps a lotus evora if you still want some luxury?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had the car for about 2500 miles, I'm liking it less and less - it is a beautiful, fast car with many amazing features - but it is just huge - I didn't realize how gigantic the car was but I can barely get it into my driveway, and all those features make it "just a car" - I'm finding that I think about it just like a regular rental car - and that's not a good thing - I can press the sports button and go very fast, but it's just not fun like my 993 was, or like a 944, or even my 356. It lost the special "S" type front rubber lip the second day, it fell off every time I went into my driveway or many other driveways, so I bought a non "S" rubber lip (I don't think the car is an S, it just had the lip that does not have the separate retainer) - that is better engineered and it stayed on. I can't pull into many parking spaces because the car is too wide.

it has me thinking I should just sell the car back to the dealer and take the loss and be done with the darned thing..... grumble grumble - I'm seriously tempted to go back to the 356 or my Morgan +4 - those are nice small light cars without all the features (well, without any features...) or maybe my 944

what do you guys think?
You don't know if your car is an S???
Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe he suffers from depression or something, who knows. I hope the OP finds the right car and that his 911 finds a good home. I hesitate to say anything, knowing what a goofball I've been the last few cars. I adore the 991 and feel like Porsche almost made it just for me. That kinda satisfies my ego too..lol.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I've had the car for about 2500 miles, I'm liking it less and less - it is a beautiful, fast car with many amazing features - but it is just huge - I didn't realize how gigantic the car was but I can barely get it into my driveway, and all those features make it "just a car" - I'm finding that I think about it just like a regular rental car - and that's not a good thing - I can press the sports button and go very fast, but it's just not fun like my 993 was, or like a 944, or even my 356. It lost the special "S" type front rubber lip the second day, it fell off every time I went into my driveway or many other driveways, so I bought a non "S" rubber lip (I don't think the car is an S, it just had the lip that does not have the separate retainer) - that is better engineered and it stayed on. I can't pull into many parking spaces because the car is too wide.

it has me thinking I should just sell the car back to the dealer and take the loss and be done with the darned thing..... grumble grumble - I'm seriously tempted to go back to the 356 or my Morgan +4 - those are nice small light cars without all the features (well, without any features...) or maybe my 944

what do you guys think?
Based on your remarks I have to assume that you bought your 991 without test driving it. Is that a correct assumption? Otherwise I'm puzzled by your statements.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:24 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting thread, though I can see how posting it in this forum can be contentious. Troll or not, the OP thoughts are something in which I can relate at some level. Not too long ago, I saw a 991 being parallel parked. I watched with interest because it is a car that I consider owning down the road as a daily driver. In spite of the factual marginal increases in dimensions, I did comment to myself that it indeed looked significantly bigger. This notion was likely exacerbated as I drove a 993 the same day and the 993 felt/looked more like a little jewel.

One thing I would say, however, that after getting behind the wheel of a 991 and 991S especially at the track, the size seemingly disappears. But then, I can also say the same with the Panamera GTS at the track.

One last comment I can make regarding the OP's thoughts: bonding (or not) with a car requires seat time that a couple of short test drives can not provide. In my case, whether or not I keep the car for more than several months has been historically dependent on my car driving experience during post-purchase.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM
ah9999
AutoX

To help balance this debate......

I've had numerous 911's, mainly 997.1 and 997.2, I'm now on my second 991 C2S.

It took me about a month to 'connect' with the 991, to me it was such a change from the 997. It does "feel" and "look" bigger albeit the actual differences are minor. A lot less tyre noise. Different steering feel, the list can go on.

Bottom line for me, once I had connected there's no going back......I'd struggle to live with a 997 DD even though I still love them.

Stick with it for a few more weeks, you will "connect" and then you won't care about the drive width challenge.......It really is worth persevering

Good luck!

Quick Reply: am I the only one starting to really dislike the 991