Sponsored by:

Getting a White-over-red 911S Coupe in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a White-over-red 911S Coupe in SoCal

Yesterday I got up the courage and pulled the trigger on a to-be-built 911S coupe. It's completion date is February 5th and is due around the middle to the end of March. The build:

White with painted air intake grills and model delete
Carrera Red natural full leather, with matching steering column
Deviating Black Carpet
20" Carrera S wheels with colored Porsche crested caps
Metal sunroof
PDK
Sport Chrono package
Sport exhaust
Premium Package Plus
14-way power sport seats
Sport steering wheel
Black instrument dials
White Sport Chrono clock dial
Burmester audio
Voice control

I was for a while strongly considering Guards red with Luxor beige interior, but was frequently lured by pics on the forum of 911s in white, which somehow popped for me. Also I did experience glare with the Luxor dash when facing into the sun's direction. I also drove three different cars to make exhaust (yes), Power steering plus (no) and sport suspension (no) decisions. The inexpensive Sport Suspension option intrigued me from a canyon-carving point of view, but on uneven roads and expansion joints, it was a tad hard for me. Also, leaving the dealer's lot diagonally and carefully resulted in front scrape nonetheless. Oops!

This order was a very big deal to me, satisfying a near life-long yen for a 911 while simultaneously terrifying me over the high cost. I got a fair deal that helped. But yesterday was one of the most exciting days of my life. Somehow, I think the excitement will be trumped when I take delivery.

Thanks to all of you forum members for the valuable information that helped me select the car and options and then decide to take the deep plunge.

Last edited by 2wheels4me; 12-18-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Change in order and delivery time
Old 12-03-2012, 09:45 AM
deturney
Instructor

These are wonderful machines, congratulations!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats, this process is fun and exciting! I agree Guards Red is gorgeous but there is something about the 991 in white that just MAKES the car. You will love it!!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on your upcoming new car. Like you, i'm ready for one too and have been asking for feedback regarding options as well as going with the c2 or the c2s. Docmalone's pics of his white cab have me second guessing my plat silver choice. Also have been unsure to get pse with the s or not. Price a big deal for me also. Wife wants me to keep cost below 100k which isn't possible with the s. Anything you left off due to cost that you wanted?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! I think your car will be great. I have the beige interior, and it looks great but you are correct, in certain lighting conditions it does glare on the windshield.

Now for the wait...
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
Congratulations on your upcoming new car. Like you, i'm ready for one too and have been asking for feedback regarding options as well as going with the c2 or the c2s. Docmalone's pics of his white cab have me second guessing my plat silver choice. Also have been unsure to get pse with the s or not. Price a big deal for me also. Wife wants me to keep cost below 100k which isn't possible with the s. Anything you left off due to cost that you wanted?
I kinda went nuts with all the options ($29K) I truly wanted, making this an expensive car. I had previously spent only half of the cost of this car on any of my BMWs. This is a, well, dream car. To me it was such a stretch already that I didn't want to underdo it and have "wish I had" regrets. Then this is a car I plan on keeping for a long time, and there currently is not a next car on the horizon. Hence loading it up.

To me, the "S" made a big difference in the car's behavior. I am used to a fair amount of down-low torque that the S comes closer to having, in addition to its prodigious top end. To me, the PSE is VERY important to the character of the car; I drove one with PSE and two without and the one with PSE turned the experience into a true thrill ride. I think that the Burmester is unnecessary but better, but not generally enough better as to warrant the gigantic price difference; I am however an audiophile and want what I can get sonically. However it really sounds no better than the upgraded one in my 335i Sport. The Bose is passable, especially for a sports car. The full leather was important to me but is probably unnecessary to most. The natural leather just happened to be what the red comes as, so there was an extra 1500 or so there. Painted intake louvers, white gauge face, fuse box and steering wheel covers are all unnecessary, the covers especially if one gets the black interior where it doesn't show. This car has great dynamics, and that is what comes first over cosmetics. Just get the PSE, though, Jeez it sounds good!

However, in the end, I'd say buy as much as you can truly afford, with perhaps some concessions with other things in life, to get you something that ALWAYS makes you happy. You don't want to hate it 'cause it made you poor, and you don't want to wish you had gone further with options or models (911 vs. 911S) if it's going to bug you every time you see another car that has what you wanted. Not when you're in the 100+K range! Furthermore, I have found that during my earlier earning years that for more reasonable purchases, by the time a year or two goes by, you cease to feel the effects of what seemed to be large payments (income increases, you do less other stuff that isn't as fun, etc.) Also I have a very tolerant wife; that helps a LOT!

So I got everything I wanted and wouldn't change a thing. I'm lucky to be able to do that now that my house is paid off and my kid's college tuition is done. That obviously isn't true for everybody, and wasn't true for me just a year ago.

Good luck with the decision making.

Last edited by 2wheels4me; 12-03-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks 2wheels for the comments. Like you I think PSE is a must have, just maybe a little less so if I go the C2S route. When I built my house 10 years ago, some upgrades that seemed so important at the time I now just laugh at. I'm wondering if the car will be the same thing if I go with the C2. Will I be very happy with a great car or wish I had upgraded to the S? Hard to know. You're correct though about spending the money. A year or two down the road it won't be as bad as the day you wrote that big check. My wife is fine either way but has just said she would be more fine if it was sub $100k. Probably the biggest decision I'm having a problem with is whether to have PASM or not. Not (usually) a spirited driver. Might like the lower profile though.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please post a picture! That's the color combo I wanted for my cab, but could not locate one unless I custom order.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go 991, as long as you dont test drive the S
I went from 2008 997 to 991 7mt, and love it. So grounded even in base form. I dont miss pasm or pse or even S. there is so much performance in the base its unreal. I guess unless you drive the S...
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Great specs! The only thing I would change is the Black gauges to White to match the Sport Chrono clock. White gauges are white during the day, moving to Gray at dusk and then to Black at night.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
deturney
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevebmd
go 991, as long as you dont test drive the S
I went from 2008 997 to 991 7mt, and love it. So grounded even in base form. I dont miss pasm or pse or even S. there is so much performance in the base its unreal. I guess unless you drive the S...
The above quote is good advice. Had I not gone to a Roadshow and driven a 911, then hopped straight into an S (on a short road course) I would have been totally satisfied with the 911.

Had I not gone to the Roadshow, I would still be happily driving my base Cayman 6mt.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 AM
dochusar
Advanced

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Please post a picture! That's the color combo I wanted for my cab, but could not locate one unless I custom order.
Paul Miller had a similar car in inventory, would have bought it but was a manual and I need a PDK due to my bad knees.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
Great specs! The only thing I would change is the Black gauges to White to match the Sport Chrono clock. White gauges are white during the day, moving to Gray at dusk and then to Black at night.
Duly noted and agree about considering them. I had played with the white gauges, but ended up liking all-black more with the red interior. The white clock makes it look more like a timepiece and matches the white of the outside and distinguishes it from the gauges without clashing.

The one thing that I found a bit inconsistent with the white is the multi-function lcd "gauge" to the right of the tach. To me it looks more of a set with all-black. The center tach's gray is too low-contrast for my taste, and as such, I ordered it black. See configurator pic below...
Old 12-04-2012, 09:16 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Note: Configurator pics do not reflect current order's change to deviating black carpet...

Last edited by 2wheels4me; 12-18-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: update of configuration
Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

More! Note painted intake grills on the frontal pics...

Last edited by 2wheels4me; 12-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Getting a White-over-red 911S Coupe in SoCal