Sponsored by:

Getting a White-over-red 911S Coupe in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
You know you could have arranged to pick the car up ar port and saved the $950 and gotten it sooner(since it's only 140 miles away).
Well, that would have been nice to know - I never heard of that! Really?

Anyone else have a car that was on the Capricornus Leader that came in Tuesday????

Waiting for the car to get handed over to the carrier after getting through PDI in one day. It's making me crazy(er)!

Is it here yet? How about now? Is it here yet? How about now?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

It's here! Preliminary iPhone pics by my son, better ones soon:

Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Comprador
Track Day

great looking S!!! have a blast and drive the cr@p out of it!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Congrats!
My favorite color combo! It looks gorgeous!
Enjoy!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's pretty Can't wait to see some more pictures. Enjoy !!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Gorgeous, just gorgeous!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

Very nice. The red is gorgeous!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Thanks everyone! Yes, I still owe more and better pics!

Getting it tinted 35% front and 20% rear next week; the sun is relentless here in SoCal. My only misgiving is that it will be hard to see the gorgeous red over black carpet interior from the outside.

The car is really fabulous. I put 200 miles on it in a day and a half; both days workdays. I hit famous Mulholland Drive on the way home from work yesterday. The car handles beautifully. It's not as nimble as my 850-pounds-lighter and very modded Fiat 500 Sport (go ahead and laugh, I don't mind), but it corners flat and accurately with no fuss. Much better than my latest-generation 335i Sport, which is very capable but not nearly as much as this car. Plus the BMW feels like you are operating a video game; the Porsche feels real. I am surprised at how good the Porsche's electric-assist steering is. BMW really messed that up. I also think that the steering effort without PSP is just right. I wouldn't want it any lighter at low speeds.

The PSE is stunning and mesmerising. I drive the 991S almost all the time with it on and in Sport mode. Every time you touch the throttle is says back to you "step on it!", "c'mon, let's go", or some such. It is really wonderful. I gave five different demo rides to coworkers yesterday and to a person they sqealed with delight when I hit it. I haven't even turned on the Burmester yet; why would I?

The ventilated seats are a revelation. Yesterday I was heading to Mulholland on a sunny 75-degree day, and it wasn't therefore hot, but it was warm inside the cabin from sitting out in the sun. The seat ventilation instantly made the seat-to-butt interface far cooler. A must-have.

The power is great. The down-low torque was more than I remembered from the test drive. My expectations were high, as the turbo-six 335 has boatloads of torque off-idle. Very nice acceleration even keeping things relatively close to the recommendations for break-in. The roar from the engine/exhaust song while doing so is smile-inducing every time.

Brakes: very positive and right-now, with zero brake dive (under mostly modest braking thus far). Another area where BMW lost feel in their latest version (it's my fifth BMW).

Negatives are few. Tire noise on concrete freeway is a more than I'd ideally like. Also when driving backroads, those tires pick up and throw into the wheelwells a LOT of gravel, even where you cannot see any in the road. Yikes! Other than those two, I can't think of any.

The car is beautiful to look at, listen to, and importantly, to drive. My heartfelt thanks to all of everyone's opinions and impressions that helped me get the build right.

A recommendation: The red full-leather interior is stunning, especially with the deviating black carpets providing (in my opinion) much-needed contrast. And get the matching steering column cover if you are getting the red leather. The environment while sitting in the car feels very special. Smells great, too.

Anybody notice the white-painted intake grills in the first pic? I've seen almost no pics of cars with this option. (I really like them on a white car).

Cheers and thanks,
John
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

Tint will look nice on the white, but i wouldn't do too dark. I had white w/ red interior a previous car and tinted the windows 40%. Still looked pretty dark cause of the red interior.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:37 PM
jmct
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John - the car looks fantastic, nice colors, and you got the Burmester, which I love in mine, plus the PSE, it's the perfect combination of sounds - enjoy!!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 PM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

I love the color combo! And you are so right about the PSE...I drive with it on most of the time. I find myself hitting and releasing the throttle more often just to hear the pops and burbles.

The debris being flung up into the fenders by the sticky tires is disconcerting at first, but you get used to it.

Wait until you go for a drive on the freeway and decide to listen to the Burmester. The system causes the music you've been listening to forever to have a presence and clarity you can feel. You won't be disappointed.

Enjoy.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:35 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Originally Posted by widers911
Tint will look nice on the white, but i wouldn't do too dark. I had white w/ red interior a previous car and tinted the windows 40%. Still looked pretty dark cause of the red interior.
Thanks for the advice. My two other non-white cars have the percentages of tint that I proposed for the Porsche, and it is looks good and is very effective in this very sun-bright state. But I agree that sometimes in the dark it's a bit hard to see behind. It does a great job of attenuating headlights in the mirrors, though! Being white, perhaps a bit less darkening is called for given the stark contrast of pretty dark tint and white paint. I'll keep thinking about it.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAHack
I love the color combo! And you are so right about the PSE...I drive with it on most of the time. I find myself hitting and releasing the throttle more often just to hear the pops and burbles.

The debris being flung up into the fenders by the sticky tires is disconcerting at first, but you get used to it.

Wait until you go for a drive on the freeway and decide to listen to the Burmester. The system causes the music you've been listening to forever to have a presence and clarity you can feel. You won't be disappointed.

Enjoy.
Thanks! I am getting used to the debris flinging a bit. Just went for a nice dual-canyon drive and had it happen quite a few times. Yup, get used to it is right.

Finally turned on the Burmester and was pleasantly surprised. I am used to VERY good tube-based stereo at home (it's a passion and a hobby; I'm a member of the largest audiophile society in America) and am very picky. The Burmester is a perfectly fine auto stereo and will do a great job when I want to hear something other than six rhythmic power pulses per revolution of hot expelled gasses.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

-

One of my dream specs (colour) - major congrats. Enjoy - which I am certain you will!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Uh Oh! I've got a problem. I was driving it today and suddenly got a warning message in the multi-function display that the car could not read the oil level. Drove it home, let it sit for a few, and restarted. Drove a short distance and the inability to read the oil level warning reappeared, then got a second(!) warning stating that the oil temperature sensor was defective. Now the oil temperature gauge went to zero. The water temperature was fine at around 195.

Let it sit for three hours, drove again. The oil temperature gauge seemed to work fine now, eventually reading in the 100s. Then all of a sudden, the oil temperature in MF display said -4 degrees F, then the oil level warning came back. Kept driving a bit, as the water temp was fine, then the second warning about the oil temperature sensor being defective returned.

Not what I wanted. Needs to go to the shop already. Bummer.

By the way, I corrected very over-inflated tires. The rears were in the low 50s when warm, fronts in the high 40s. Jeesh. Rides better now!

Quick Reply: Getting a White-over-red 911S Coupe in SoCal