Sponsored by:

MY New 991 Preformance Comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Mr. Gee
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY New 991 Preformance Comments

I have a new 991S Cabriolet. I compared my 991S cabriolet to my Corvette C6, and Audi R8 (V8) Spyder. The brute force of the R8 seems to accelerate off the line (ever so) slightly faster, yet the Porsche handles, feels, drives and over all out-preforms both the C6 and R8. The 991 seems to move (steer) with telepathic communication, instead of muscle movement (superb handling). People always notice my R8; the R8’s engine sound is distinct (like a 70’s muscle car) and the body contours are magnificent; yet the stimulating roar of the 991 “S” comes in a very close second. The R8 definitely turns heads (to the point of whip lash sometimes) it’s more conspicuous and eye-catching than the 991 or C6 (My C6 ceased to turn heads back in ’08; I imagine it’s because there’s an ample supply of Vetts on the road –unfortunately predicting the same w/ the C7). Yet the only advantage my AUDI R8 has over the new 991S is styling and engine sound. Of the three; the luxury and sporty comfort of the 991’s interior is unprecedented. There seems to be more room in the 991S than the others. The 991S interior feels tailored made, while the R8 seems cramped (I’m constantly adjusting the R8’s seats and steering wheel to find the “sweet spot”). Additionally, the 991S is the auto I prefer to drive and revel in every day -rather than on the weeks ends. Audi’s R8 R-tronic automatic transmission is immature, unrefined while the Porsche PDK (Pretty-Darn Quick) is Amazing! -very fluid and peppy. Furthermore, the 991S new cabriolet roof system is whisper quiet, quicker and more solid than the Audi R8 Spyder roof-system. Overall, the 911S is able to combine these advantages and offer more to the driver in terms of driving enjoyment and satisfaction.

Only Con: Options and Option Pricing. Unfortunately, the standard equipment on the new 991 lacks the luster associated with a 100K + automobile, thus one has to turn to Porsche’s multitude of befuddled options. Porsche is the “Master of Options”, unfortunately the list of inconspicuous options, which in my opinion should be standard accessories, goes on-and on.

Side Note: Its fantastic that the 991S has the optional Porsche Entry and Drive …..Baring 911 tradition; I wonder IF Porsche will elect to offer a Push-Button-Starter?

Last edited by Mr. Gee; 12-02-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: type-o
Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice one! I agree on Porsche charging arm and leg for the accessories/today's necessities!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I sat in Gary SIms 991 and the interior was stunning as far as 911's go. I still remember my 996 interior.
Even though it was decked out with carbon out the ying yang it was stark compared to a 991. And the word stark is being generous.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Gee, do you have the sports exhaust option? In my humble opinion I think it sounds better than the R8 V8 above 4K RPM.

Quick Reply: MY New 991 Preformance Comments