Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are "online services" in the 991 Configurator?

Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What are "online services" in the 991 Configurator?

I was poking through the configurator trying to come up with some idea of how I want to option my upcoming 991 C4S and saw "online services" with no description. What is Porsche charging $210 for?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM
hepmonk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a description here:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...etail/comfort/

Has anyone actually tried it out yet?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
I was poking through the configurator trying to come up with some idea of how I want to option my upcoming 991 C4S and saw "online services" with no description. What is Porsche charging $210 for?
Basically Aha Radio (Audio Content Aggregrator) and Pandora. I have used it briefly in another car and do highly recommend getting it if you ever think you might need it. I beleive Porsche is charging for software built into the PCM for this, so maybe you could add it later, but I don't know for sure.

Go to the new Cayman configurator @ PCNAs website. There is actually an info button there which tells you what this is better than the link you posted above.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 179 Posts

I contacted Porsche of NA about a month ago about this and they said that there is no retrofit as of this time. May be offered later
Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM
911SF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have online services in my (soon to be sold) 2012 Audi S5 which is pretty good - google maps, online destination searches, wifi in car

I would think the P-car is similar but can't really comment.

So I'm not really much use and will go away now!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by 911SF
I have online services in my (soon to be sold) 2012 Audi S5 which is pretty good - google maps, online destination searches, wifi in car

I would think the P-car is similar but can't really comment.

So I'm not really much use and will go away now!
No, it's not the same thing in a p-car and thank goodness for that.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Now I am even a bit more confused than I was before. I guess a visit to the Porsche center is needed...

Darn... ;-)
Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Now I am even a bit more confused than I was before. I guess a visit to the Porsche center is needed...

Darn... ;-)
Ok, just a guess, but according to the website the Online Services app is free and can be used with your iPhone through the universal audio interface with PCM. If you have an Android phone it can only be used through PCM with the optional mobile telephone preperation or telephone module. According to the website, "In order to use AHA Radio services with the optional telephone module, the HFP function must be activated in PCM". Maybe that activation is what they're charging $210 for?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

yeah, I get that part. But what does it actually do that a normal iPhone without this app can't do?

Is this the AHA Radio being referred to?

http://www.aharadio.com/
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

yeah, I get that part. But what does it actually do that a normal iPhone without this app can't do?

I think that's the AHA Radio they are referring to.

If I'm understanding correctly what the online services feature does, the app allows you access to all of the sites available with AHA directly through PCM without having to physically pull out your phone and input to it. I assume some kind of menu appears on the car's touchscreen. More convenient and safer to do while driving.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM
rpilot
Pro

Yes, it is the correct AHA. Basically you create an account, mark content you want to hear on your iphone when on the go. You can do this on your computer or on the iphone itself.

Normally, when the iphone is connected via USB, only the music (ipod) portion of the iphone interfaces with the PCM.

Other audio , including AHA or other apps can be channeled (if the app supports it) to the PCM via Bluetooth, but as far as PCM is concerned, it is simply using the bluetooth connection to decode and pipe the audio to the speakers. It does not care what audio it is. You can also play the ipod portion of the iphone this way if you choose to. You have to do all the selection / manipulation on the iphone. For the record, I do not know for sure if aha content can be streamed over bluetooth.

The "online services" add on is an add on (internal.. software? firmware? whatever) to the PCM unit that allows the Unit to control the Aha app on the iphone while connected via USB in addition to the iphone music (ipod) . You will still be using the iphones data connection and such, you will just be able to select from YOUR aha content pool (news, talk, whatever you have previously preselected) while on the go from the PCM directly. In other words if you have NPR or BBC news or some audiobooks pre defined in aha, you can select your channels and sub content thereof on the go directly from the PCM.

Apparently what Mike in CA is referring to is that for Android phones, the Online services app can only work thru bluetooth phones (I think it means you will be able to control the app as well, via bluetooth for android phones only)

I would highly recommend this option even if you do not have the immediate inclination, as you may find content you like sometime in the future, and it would be a huge plus when it came time to sell the car, but I completely understand the concept of wanting the car just for yourself, resale be damned.

There are no monthly charges or data fees or anything else beyond what you pay for your iphone data service or unless aha charges for premium content, over limit , etc. (i have not checked their policies recently).

I hope that clarifies and helps.

PS: Do not confuse this with any other phone or handset related option. Also, this is not like the Audi's online services with require an in car data connection for google maps etc.. ,Nor is it a telematics service in the vein of safety connect, onstar, etc. It is simply the cost of a feature in the PCM.

Last edited by rpilot; 12-06-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Ok, thanks for the replies. I get it now.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Ashokrts
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Online Services (Aha Radio...)

Do any of you have the online services option on your car? The website said available at the earliest, November 2012. I had it listed as a paid for selected option on my 991S order sheet with the dealer (it was an available option on the online configurator at the time) My car's completed build date was 11/15/12 and somehow it was missing on the car when it arrived at the dealer 12/13/12. Just looking for some input on anyone else's experience, thanks.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

I just retrofitted online services at the dealer. It is now available for those of us who didn't have online services. Now I'm able to use Aha and get real-time traffic. Also, you can now search POIs via the PCM database or via Online Search which, when selected, says "Powered by Google." It is working very well.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:07 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I just retrofitted online services at the dealer. It is now available for those of us who didn't have online services. Now I'm able to use Aha and get real-time traffic. Also, you can now search POIs via the PCM database or via Online Search which, when selected, says "Powered by Google." It is working very well.
So where do you go to set up the the real-time traffic? I have the online services but don't see that option

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are "online services" in the 991 Configurator?