Sponsored by:

Export/Import NAV destinations via USB

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Export/Import NAV destinations via USB

I have figured out how to export a NAV destination to a USB stick. I also know how to import them. What I can't figure out is how to do what I want to do. The classic flaw of coders, creating menu items that enable the stuff their program is written to do. Instead of creating menu items based on what their users want to accomplish.

What I would like to do is type a bunch of destinations here at my desktop and let the NAV read them from my USB stick. Since the NAV code knows how to pick up a destination from a phone message, I figured it had a -- forgive the technical jargon -- a free-text 'parser' built in. Reading any file requires a 'parser', but specifically they have one to parse free text and spot location information, so I figured their import/export would be based on some sort of standard text format, like comma-delimited, or newline delimited. That sort of thing. It does not appear so.

I did the obvious: I had the system write a 'location' from the destination memory to the USB stick. I just examined the file that results. It is given a file type 'navi' and is not in human readable format.

Does anyone know how we can deal with these files?

Gary
Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious how long is this list?

Is there a way to select your destination from your imported phone directory?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doing a google search on Porsche, .navi, PCM, returned some earlier attempts on this, one here on Rennlist.

Searching for .navi file format returns nothing interesting on a quick glance..this should be known. Hmm...
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
I have figured out how to export a NAV destination to a USB stick. I also know how to import them. What I can't figure out is how to do what I want to do. The classic flaw of coders, creating menu items that enable the stuff their program is written to do. Instead of creating menu items based on what their users want to accomplish.

What I would like to do is type a bunch of destinations here at my desktop and let the NAV read them from my USB stick. Since the NAV code knows how to pick up a destination from a phone message, I figured it had a -- forgive the technical jargon -- a free-text 'parser' built in. Reading any file requires a 'parser', but specifically they have one to parse free text and spot location information, so I figured their import/export would be based on some sort of standard text format, like comma-delimited, or newline delimited. That sort of thing. It does not appear so.

I did the obvious: I had the system write a 'location' from the destination memory to the USB stick. I just examined the file that results. It is given a file type 'navi' and is not in human readable format.

Does anyone know how we can deal with these files?

Gary
The PCM unit is engineered by Harman Becker. The file is probably a proprietary format or some type of encrypted vcard /xml format.

Here is a software tool that allows interaction with the Becker Map pilot portable unit sold in europe and/or with some mercedes cars. A long shot but maybe it allows you a way to enter destinations and saves them on your computer when the map pilot unit is not present for download later. And if they are in the .navi format, maybe you can then copy the files manually to the PCM.

http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/main-na...lot/downloads/

Download the content manager and the related user guide. Like I said, a shot in the dark.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
Just curious how long is this list?

Less than ten places, just my destinations for trips around the area, but I would prefer to type them on this keyboard then mess around with the menu structure.

Gary
Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Doing a google search on Porsche, .navi, PCM, returned some earlier attempts on this, one here on Rennlist.

Searching for .navi file format returns nothing interesting on a quick glance..this should be known. Hmm...
Thanks, Nico. I didn't think to search Rennlist specifically. Must have categorized it as a coder problem in my mind. I did search the internet file resources and came up dry.

Obviously, I'm not the first one to bump into this silliness. Now I'm trying -- without much energy -- to think what value they thought the menu items would serve. The ones that say "send to USB" or "read from USB".

Gary
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
Sorry. Meant to answer this the first time. There is not so far as I can tell. The NAV head seems able pick up addresses from v-cards however, as well as parsing SMS messages.

Gary
Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rpilot
The PCM unit is engineered by Harman Becker. The file is probably a proprietary format or some type of encrypted vcard /xml format.

Here is a software tool that allows interaction with the Becker Map pilot portable unit sold in europe and/or with some mercedes cars. A long shot but maybe it allows you a way to enter destinations and saves them on your computer when the map pilot unit is not present for download later. And if they are in the .navi format, maybe you can then copy the files manually to the PCM.

http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/main-na...lot/downloads/

Download the content manager and the related user guide. Like I said, a shot in the dark.
Well, it was worth a try. I downloaded and installed that program. It's what I would characterize as a low-end business program. That is, written with no consideration of standard interfaces, but it uses a professional installer that had to be licensed, so you know they cared. Typical of companies who's real business lies elsewhere, but whose management is convinced there's really nothing to do this software stuff so they hire an intern to deal with it.

All that would have been fine if it had been able to read and write 'navi' files, but I never got to find out. After installation, it's first question is "Where's My NavPilot!!!" and when it can't find one connected to the computer, it asks whether you want it to quit looking and exit. Well, no. Obviously, what I want is to manipulate some files on this computer that I can take elsewhere, but it somehow couldn't hear me shouting.

I tried a couple of workarounds, gave up, and uninstalled the program. Fortunately, it hasn't seemed to leave any unremovable traces. Last time I used a program like that it woke up screaming for Mommy every time I rebooted. Had to ignore it for two years until I upgraded my system.

But it was a darn good chance it would work. Thank you for spotting that. Am I going to have to hack PCNA's home server to fi... no, that would be excessive and I never would do that. Ahem.

Gary
Old 05-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

can someone save one of these files to USB and upload it here along with the information regarding the actual location used to generate the input, full address, lat/long of origin and destination?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:49 AM
Anthony Hsieh
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upload Navi destinations from USB

I was able to transfer stored destinations from my Boxster to my 911 GTS. After you downloaded the .navi files to the USB stick, to upload the files you select Stored Destinations, then Add Destination, then just click on Load from USB. It works!
Old 12-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Has anyone figured out how to do this from a PC? Plan a route with stop overs and then transfer all of it to the PCM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:11 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Has anyone figured out how to do this from a PC? Plan a route with stop overs and then transfer all of it to the PCM.
And THAT is the million dollar question. Apple/Google-WAZE/etc phone based nav all support some form of this capability for stand-alone use (PC/Mac to phone). Our 2011 BMW 550i supported this PC to car sharing/loading. Oh well.

I'm thrilled that I stumbled onto the use of Google for POI searches on our 2014 PCM when my iPhone is plugged into the USB port (via a ProClip installation).
Old 12-27-2015, 05:21 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by beaverlake
I'm thrilled that I stumbled onto the use of Google for POI searches on our 2014 PCM when my iPhone is plugged into the USB port (via a ProClip installation).
Can you elaborate on this? Is the ProClip the iPhone holder?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:55 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes. ProClip snaps on to the console and I have the phone holder that takes an iPhone cable. I ran the cable under the side of the console and into the glove compartment. When the USB end of the cable is plugged into the USB port in the glove box the POI menu changes and I can search for a POI and the PCM reads that it is powered by Google. A hit list is displayed and whatever I choose is then used as the destination address. I can't reference a manual page since I'm still awaiting my 2014 manuals from Sonnen but I'm sure it's in there somewhere.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:09 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Well, it was worth a try. I downloaded and installed that program. It's what I would characterize as a low-end business program. That is, written with no consideration of standard interfaces, but it uses a professional installer that had to be licensed, so you know they cared. Typical of companies who's real business lies elsewhere, but whose management is convinced there's really nothing to do this software stuff so they hire an intern to deal with it.

All that would have been fine if it had been able to read and write 'navi' files, but I never got to find out. After installation, it's first question is "Where's My NavPilot!!!" and when it can't find one connected to the computer, it asks whether you want it to quit looking and exit. Well, no. Obviously, what I want is to manipulate some files on this computer that I can take elsewhere, but it somehow couldn't hear me shouting.

I tried a couple of workarounds, gave up, and uninstalled the program. Fortunately, it hasn't seemed to leave any unremovable traces. Last time I used a program like that it woke up screaming for Mommy every time I rebooted. Had to ignore it for two years until I upgraded my system.

But it was a darn good chance it would work. Thank you for spotting that. Am I going to have to hack PCNA's home server to fi... no, that would be excessive and I never would do that. Ahem.

Gary

Funny.... Turns out Jester is a Porsche guy!

Quick Reply: Export/Import NAV destinations via USB