Sponsored by:

991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:16 AM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AntirisK AK
Just got the device installed on my 2014 C2S Cab. OP's post was immensely helpful. I think it took me about 30 minutes in all, but most of the time was just dealing with the plug in a hunkered position on the back seat (I'm not even 6', just 5'11").

The part1 video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYOsXkJK4fY) on youtube was also helpful to see the panel removal (certainly helped more than images).

If anybody is getting cold feet about DIY, this is pretty straight forward.

But thanks OP for the great start.
i have a 17 cab 991.2 is it worth installing this on this model and can it void the warranty? THxs.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:08 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenyc
i have a 17 cab 991.2 is it worth installing this on this model and can it void the warranty? THxs.
Yes and no.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 AM
gashalot
1st Gear

I recently installed a unit for the wife in her 991.1 cab. Although I can't speak to your local dealer, I'd be very surprised if they could win an argument about this voiding warranty if you had to push. I'd recommend disabling, per earlier postings, to avoid any questions.

If you did get in trouble, it's worth point out that the default config reduces the maximum speed for a top-open command (NB: I have not, nor do I intend to test this limit.) Unless you increase the limit and then manage to damage the top when operating at a high speed, there is little damage this unit could do, since top operation is allowed in engine-off modes.

PS: For those reading, this is the only mod I've ever installed that immediately won accolades from the wife. Well worth an install.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 AM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenyc
Absolutely a no brainer. I have a 2017
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 PM
johnmhudson111
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gashalot
I recently installed a unit for the wife in her 991.1 cab. Although I can't speak to your local dealer, I'd be very surprised if they could win an argument about this voiding warranty if you had to push. I'd recommend disabling, per earlier postings, to avoid any questions.

If you did get in trouble, it's worth point out that the default config reduces the maximum speed for a top-open command (NB: I have not, nor do I intend to test this limit.) Unless you increase the limit and then manage to damage the top when operating at a high speed, there is little damage this unit could do, since top operation is allowed in engine-off modes.

PS: For those reading, this is the only mod I've ever installed that immediately won accolades from the wife. Well worth an install.
Same with my wife, the only thing I found easier to install was the DSC module, only because you can see what you are doing without a mirror/phone.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:55 PM
SacJoe
Advanced

Hey, wondering if anyone has had service issues after installing this device? I put mine in last saturday and it worked flawlessly. Today I used it a couple times and then while driving in traffic, I closed the top and got a service notification. thankfully the top locked, but now what? not sure I can access the controller to remove it with the top up, although I can try. thoughts???

BTW, LOVE my car!!!! best purchase I've ever made
Old 06-29-2017, 09:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by SacJoe
Hey, wondering if anyone has had service issues after installing this device? I put mine in last saturday and it worked flawlessly. Today I used it a couple times and then while driving in traffic, I closed the top and got a service notification. thankfully the top locked, but now what? not sure I can access the controller to remove it with the top up, although I can try. thoughts???

BTW, LOVE my car!!!! best purchase I've ever made
ok, well Ive had no issues with mine since I installed it back in 2015...

I *did* screw up the re-install of the trim over the back (I broke a clip) which caused a problem...

I removed the SmartTop, closed the top manually and took it to my dealer, they fixed it (warranty) ... and I re-installed it again ... no problems since.

you might try the procedure to open the top manually ... but if you do
take the car into a dealer ... they will most likely not cover the repair (if needed) with the SmartTop in place...

you might want to contact mods4cars directly before doing anything else...
Old 06-29-2017, 09:03 PM
SacJoe
Advanced

dumb question... is opening the top manually in the manual???
Old 06-29-2017, 09:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SacJoe
dumb question... is opening the top manually in the manual???
yes
Old 06-29-2017, 09:27 PM
SacJoe
Advanced

ty! I'll update later with hopefully good news
Old 06-29-2017, 11:57 PM
SacJoe
Advanced

omg...removing that smart top when the top is down and you are almost 6'2/200lbs... not fun. plus it is like 95 degrees in our warehouse :/ needless to say, the smart top was defective. I had left the usb cable attached and snaked out to where i could pull on it to reach my laptop and deactivated the unit but still no luck. I guess stuff happens :/
Old 07-10-2017, 08:52 PM
King1999
3rd Gear

Default Roof control fault

Guys I've installed the unit about a week ago. Everything works great until today. Started the car and dash shows "roof control fault, service required" the top is fully closed. What do you guys recommend that I do? Is there a way to manually remove the top onto service position to remove the module? I've already send mods4cars a ticket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by King1999
Guys I've installed the unit about a week ago. Everything works great until today. Started the car and dash shows "roof control fault, service required" the top is fully closed. What do you guys recommend that I do? Is there a way to manually remove the top onto service position to remove the module? I've already send mods4cars a ticket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
go read your owners manual, it explains how to manually close the top, you simply reverse the operation, and once in the service position "lock" the pump
as per the instructions...

btw the top *is* quite heavy to lift, probably best if you have someone help you
to open it, and to hold it while you lock the pump again to secure it in the service position.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

here you go: http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ency-operation

"Using the hexagon on plastic attachment B, turn emergency hand screw H approx. 180° anti-clockwise." is the "pump unlock" to which I referred above...
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 PM
SacJoe
Advanced

I'm a pretty tall guy and was able to remove the unit with the top closed. it isn't easy but it can be done. interesting that your unit failed too so soon after install. are you in a 991.2 by chance?

Quick Reply: 991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install