Sponsored by:

991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 05:44 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Yes, they are! I wish I had seen these before doing my install. The part about having the needle nosed pliers would have saved me some headache. That's the second most difficult part of the process.

The most difficult is seeing what you're doing with the plug. Like the OP, I used my iPhone forward facing camera as a mirror, but it's still a bit tricky.

Love this mod!
Old 06-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Anyone know anywhere in the Carolinas I can get this done? Occasionally in Atlanta also.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Anyone know anywhere in the Carolinas I can get this done? Occasionally in Atlanta also.
I would imagine any car audio place or even mechanic would install this for you. It is really not difficult. I am not one to ever do anything on my own to a car as it's simply not my forte, but this was very straight forward.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Your driveway.

Seriously, this is a very easy install to do. If you have assembled a desktop computer, you can do this. Feel free to PMe for tips. I'd hate to see you waste your money on having someone else do it.

I literally did it in the parking lot of a strip mall whiley son was in his Karate class, using nothing but two screwdrivers. While wearing business attire.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:17 PM
AzCoronaDog
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I hesitated buying this for a long time, based on the price vs features vs other priorities.
I finally saved enough spare change and Christmas money and ordered it.

I could not be happier with this silly thing!
The install is very easy, and although I did have a job installing car stereos one summer, this is as simple a job as you will find. If you can turn a screwdriver, there is no need to pay somebody to do this. It is simply plug and play, and like the OP said, pulling back the carpet was the most difficult part (if you can really call it difficult!)

I do not consider myself lazy, but I really hated having to hold the up and down buttons for the whole cycle considering the price of this car. I know it is only 13 seconds, but I can't even see what safety purpose it served. Same goes for the air deflector.

There are other features I initially didn't think were a big deal, but now I really love too:

One touch up and down of all windows - If you get or want to make a phone call with the top down, having all the windows up dramatically reduces background noise, so being able to do it quickly is awesome.

Options for the windows and air deflector at the end of the down cycle - I live in AZ, so I get a very long top down season. But near the beginning and end of winter, when I still want the top down but some wind protection, I program the module to put the windows up when the top is down. I reset it when it gets warmer.

I seldom use the remote to open or close the top, but it can be really fun in parking lots when people are walking by! Sometimes I do it just because it is so fun to watch. (I am easily amused.)

I still wish the price was lower, but overall I am very happy with this module.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:35 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey Gary,

I live in Atlanta and will be in Charleston SC all of this coming week. If you have the module I would be happy to help you. It is very straightforward. Plugging it in and removing the existing plug is a little challenging but not difficult.

Let me know if I can help you.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:42 AM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does this work if you have keyless start and lock feature?
Old 06-04-2017, 07:23 AM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenyc
So does this work if you have keyless start and lock feature?
Yes. I have Keyless entry/drive
Old 06-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by NOSUB2T
Hey Gary,

I live in Atlanta and will be in Charleston SC all of this coming week. If you have the module I would be happy to help you. It is very straightforward. Plugging it in and removing the existing plug is a little challenging but not difficult.

Let me know if I can help you.
Yes fellow "2017 991.2 Carrera Cab" would like to meet up. PM sent.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:43 AM
erdrff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my SmartTop and it was actually pretty easy to install. Thanks for all the advice and pics on this thread! I do have a question though. I'll be taking my 991.2 to the dealer to get an issue with my key and my navigation fixed. Do you think I will have to turn off the SmartTop before taking the car in so that any reprogramming the dealer does will not affect the SmartTop device or do I not have to worry about this? Will the dealer using the OBD-II know that I have this device installed and mess the function of the device up. I would hate to have to remove all the panels and carpet to access the device just to turn it off via USB to my computer.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erdrff
Got my SmartTop and it was actually pretty easy to install. Thanks for all the advice and pics on this thread! I do have a question though. I'll be taking my 991.2 to the dealer to get an issue with my key and my navigation fixed. Do you think I will have to turn off the SmartTop before taking the car in so that any reprogramming the dealer does will not affect the SmartTop device or do I not have to worry about this? Will the dealer using the OBD-II know that I have this device installed and mess the function of the device up. I would hate to have to remove all the panels and carpet to access the device just to turn it off via USB to my computer.
I expect you will be fine, I would simply tell dealer it's installed.

My A/C fan went out two weeks ago and I took it to dealer. I simply told them I had it installed (my concern was them errantly lowering roof).

The dealer LOVED it and said he'd never heard of it. Pretty shocking as they have an install shop for after market items.

There could be a sight risk of it affecting the diagnosis as it's your electronics that are at issue, but I think you'll be ok.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

my advice; always disable the function (using the facility to program it via the
stalk on the steering column) ...

if you are taking the car in for any warranty work, remove it entirely, don't
take the risk of the dealer denying the work because the installation voided
the warranty
Old 06-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

see here:http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...on_v1.1/en.php for directions on how to program (turn off/on) the SmartTop from the steering wheel computer stalk...
Old 06-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
my advice; always disable the function (using the facility to program it via the stalk on the steering column) ...
Agreed. Prevents some unknowing dealer hump triple clicking the keyfob in the rain while walking towards your car, only to have the top spring open. Same goes if you ever have to valet the car (gasp gasp).

The stalk programming makes disabling it so easy....takes about 5 seconds.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:59 AM
AntirisK AK
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the device installed on my 2014 C2S Cab. OP's post was immensely helpful. I think it took me about 30 minutes in all, but most of the time was just dealing with the plug in a hunkered position on the back seat (I'm not even 6', just 5'11").

The part1 video (
) on youtube was also helpful to see the panel removal (certainly helped more than images).

If anybody is getting cold feet about DIY, this is pretty straight forward.

But thanks OP for the great start.

Quick Reply: 991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install