Sponsored by:

991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:51 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
The crazy thing is this is standard on European cabriolets - aarrrgghh!
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
seriously? another anti-idiot-litigation feature from PCNA!
Ya, there's even a fourth button on the remote for the softtop's operation. Gotta love American litigation.

I have one waiting to install when my Cabriolet gets here from Germany, its a must have for a cabriolet IMO
The convenience factor of this mod is crazy. It's so simple and so it may sound like nothing to some people, but once you have it, you immediately recognize how cool it is.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Ya, there's even a fourth button on the remote for the softtop's operation. Gotta love American litigation.

The convenience factor of this mod is crazy. It's so simple and so it may sound like nothing to some people, but once you have it, you immediately recognize how cool it is.
cant wait - for the car to arrive *and* to install this!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:44 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install

How many hours for install?
Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4forme
How many hours for install?
1/2 - 1 hour (max).
Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading the programming info from the mods4cars web site there seems to be a lot of customization you can do with this module. For those of you who have installed this unit, did you simply leave it with default settings?

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...action=manuals
Old 06-09-2015, 08:53 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
Reading the programming info from the mods4cars web site there seems to be a lot of customization you can do with this module. For those of you who have installed this unit, did you simply leave it with default settings?
I customized SmartTop for the way I like to drive. For example, when I put the top down, I like everything down. So I programmed it so that when I put the top down, both the windows and wind deflector stay down. When I get on the highway, I've got all four windows programmed to go up simultaneously (with the pull of both window switches), etc.

The programming is very easy via the steering wheel controls, so you can always change it once you've got the SmartTop installed. For example, I had originally programmed the module to mute the radio upon start-up, but decided I didn't like that a few days ago, and changed it in about 5 minutes.

I'm really not the most technical guy in the world, but there's nothing to be intimidated by with this product. It's all quite easy to install, program and use.
The following users liked this post:
Daleoos (07-28-2020)
Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I customized SmartTop for the way I like to drive. For example, when I put the top down, I like everything down. So I programmed it so that when I put the top down, both the windows and wind deflector stay down. When I get on the highway, I've got all four windows programmed to go up simultaneously (with the pull of both window switches), etc.

The programming is very easy via the steering wheel controls, so you can always change it once you've got the SmartTop installed. For example, I had originally programmed the module to mute the radio upon start-up, but decided I didn't like that a few days ago, and changed it in about 5 minutes.

I'm really not the most technical guy in the world, but there's nothing to be intimidated by with this product. It's all quite easy to install, program and use.
its worth it for this feature alone
Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrandLaker

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...action=manuals
this is a good reason to install with a usb cable connected and (somewhat) accessible ...
Old 06-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dalema
1/2 - 1 hour (max).
I can see a 6 pack of (your favorite) cold beer in your future...
Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

its worth it for this feature alone
It's funny, but that's what I first thought as well. However, the way that the SmartTop function works is that instead of muting the radio (similar to pushing the volume ****), it turns the radio volume all the way down. So after start-up, you don't push the volume **** to hear the music. Instead, you've got to turn the **** clockwise about three full turns.

I know that may sound like a stupid gripe, but it annoyed the hell out of me. And hey, we're all raving about a mod whose best feature is that we don't have to hold a convertible top button for 20 seconds (not that I'm defensive about my **** nature)!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:44 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Exact set up I have. I configured it on my laptop first to ensure the software was up to date.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

I can see a 6 pack of (your favorite) cold beer in your future...
Haha - let's see if it stays working for a while first before leaping to conclusions on my tech ability
Old 06-10-2015, 10:15 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

.............now just add a rain sensor.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:44 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dalema
1/2 - 1 hour (max).
Good to know. Thank you. Any forum sponsors sell these?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:00 PM
AZ-Steve
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my SmartTOP today. Thanks to all who contributed to the instructions. Aside from the good instructions at the top of this thread, the additional suggestions to use a pair of needle nose pliers and smartphone camera came in quite handy.

I'm not one to typically tackle something like this, but felt encouraged from everyone's posts suggesting this was something you really can do yourself. I'm glad I tackled it. Everything worked as planned. And... my top now opens and closes the way it should have from the factory.

Last edited by AZ-Steve; 06-22-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install