Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:20 PM
iLeo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming Soon!

Hi everybody,

Pulled the trigger!!

31 year old, very successful marketing consultant, still it was a big decision, and a very expensive one. I could afford it, but it'd definitely be on the expense of some other things in my life, at least for a while... But hey, if this is a mistake, it'd be the most sweet mistake I've even done

I used to have a Cayman S 2009, I owned it 2nd hand during the period from Jul 2010, until last month, when I sold it at a minor loss who some believe to actually be a gain.. Still, I wasn't as happy as I should be, as I only sold it to get rid of it before the new shape comes out. I loved the car, way too much to do it, but I did.

I couldn't convince myself to buy any other car but a Porsche... yet, this time it can't be another Cayman... My son is now 4 years old, and he since my job requires lots of traveling, I'd most likely need to take him & the wife out during weekend, hence the need for the extra seats!

I've driven the Carrera S 991 for a test drive. To be honest, Cayman S is MUCH MORE FUN to drive, but still, the spirit is there...

Couldn't afford the S with the options I want as a must, so I ordered a Carrera, with the following options:

- Chrono-package (had it in the Cayman, loved it, and it comes with extra features in the 991 which could help compensate the less power vs. the S).
- Sport exhaust (I've always hated the low noise Porsche cars make, this fixes that for sure, a must in my opinion).
- PDK
- Glass sunroof
- 20 inch Carrera S wheels Painted in platinum (a must)
- Some other luxurious/ comfort/ cool features

Color I've chosen is Basalt Black... 90% of that decision is driven by the following:
- I HAVE TO have the interior Carrera red. Had it in the Cayman, LOVED IT, STILL LOVE IT, can't imagine riding any other interior color!
- Like white, but my Cayman was white.... it'd feel really boring to have the same exterior + interior color combinations again in my new car, wouldn't it?!

Now, what other exterior colors work with red interior? mmmmmmmmmmm
I still have a week or two to catch & change if you guys have any recos

Appreciated, and pleased to join
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by iLeo
Unless you absolutely need the rear seats, I would wait a couple weeks - the new Cayman will be unveiled at the LA Auto Show two weeks from today, and I think it will be a stunner - especially if the Carrera is a stretch, and you don't find it as fun to drive as the mid-engined cars.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:19 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

silver works much better with carrera red ..

black competes, and the contrast isn't there
Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came from a Cayman and would never turn back. 991 is insane. S or Base. If you can stretch, get 991. Plus from your post, I take it that you need the seats.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

GT Silver with Carrera Red is amazing! I had it on my Boxster RS 60 Spyder and still miss it! Now I have a 991 Carrera S Cab in Carrara White with Carrera Red interior. I am loving this combination too, but still wish I had GT Silver again. The metallic in the GT Silver is miles deep and I never got tired of looking at the color - in any light!!! It is not cheap, but definitely worth it in my opinion! Also do yourself a favor and spring for the extra dash leather around the windshield vents. I have this on my GT-3 RS and marvel at the look everytime I get in the car!!! Also, definitely worth the price!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iLeo

Now, what other exterior colors work with red interior? mmmmmmmmmmm

Appreciated, and pleased to join
For the conservative side, you can match you red interior with platinum silver (which I prefer over GT silver).

For show, I've seen racing yellow, black wheels, ceramic brake, red interior, carbon fiber trims. Looking great and striking as well.

One thing for sure, you made good decision for not cheapen out on options. I find hard to believe not having an interior leather for this kind of car, might as well buy BMW ///M for a much better value.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 PM
dochusar
Advanced

For me, only two colrs work we'll with the Carrera red is GT or platinum silver and white.

Personally, I prefer the way white and black look on the 991.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Platinum silver and Agate gray work great with red interiors and satin platinum wheels,
Imo not worth the extra cost of GT silver.
I would get the Bose audio.

Last edited by Galion; 11-15-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 AM
bill8411
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pyramid
For the conservative side, you can match you red interior with platinum silver (which I prefer over GT silver).

For show, I've seen racing yellow, black wheels, ceramic brake, red interior, carbon fiber trims. Looking great and striking as well.

One thing for sure, you made good decision for not cheapen out on options. I find hard to believe not having an interior leather for this kind of car, might as well buy BMW ///M for a much better value.

Do you have any links or images of the racing yellow w red interior.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bill8411
Sounds like Ronald McDonald's car
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Although I did not save the link, I once saw a dealer selling a CPO Cayman S in Speed Yellow with Carrera Red interior. Outgoing personality to say the least, and the initial owner had spent a fortune on Exclusive options. It was listed for a pretty long time, then some bold person must have loved it and bought it. I've also seen pics of a Superman Cayman, blue with red interior.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM
pyramid
Racer

Unfortunately I don't, I didn't take a picture of the car and it was customer ordered. A bold combination of colors that actually works. Just like yellow/red/black porsche badge. Now if you add white somewhere on the exterior, that's mcdonald's

But if it were me (with racing yellow exterior, pccb, and carrera black wheels), I will choose espresso brown leather, yellow stiching, (and or) trims in exterior color, yellow belts, crono and spedometer face in yellow. That would be smashing in my opinion, definetely flashy
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 926 Likes on 431 Posts

I was 31 when I bought my first new 911. Every Porsche lover should do it at least once in their life if they can afford to. I don't remember the financials as they're long gone, but owning that car at a young age brought a lifetime of memories.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
But if it were me (with racing yellow exterior, pccb, and carrera black wheels), I will choose espresso brown leather, yellow stiching, (and or) trims in exterior color, yellow belts, crono and spedometer face in yellow. That would be smashing in my opinion, definetely flashy
That would look very striking, yet subdued enough as to be not flashy ..

I would only add yellow dials and seatbelts .. no stitching.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM
iLeo
Advanced

WOW!
So many nice people here! Thanks a lot for the replies & welcomes!

Unless you absolutely need the rear seats, I would wait a couple weeks - the new Cayman will be unveiled at the LA Auto Show two weeks from today, and I think it will be a stunner - especially if the Carrera is a stretch, and you don't find it as fun to drive as the mid-engined cars.
I guess those days are over... I need the seats now. Previously, I used to drive the car 90% of the time alone (going & coming back from work), but now with traveling, I only get to use it on weekends, which will most definitely mean wife + kid along!

Came from a Cayman and would never turn back. 991 is insane. S or Base. If you can stretch, get 991. Plus from your post, I take it that you need the seats.
Very good & comforting to hear that As I said, my test drive was a quick one, I really didn't need to be convinced, as I know what I'd be owning... One of the best -if not the best- but maybe it's either my initial reaction, or maybe the car needs to be driven more to the limits in order to get more out of it, as some car magazines were hinting!

I was 31 when I bought my first new 911. Every Porsche lover should do it at least once in their life if they can afford to. I don't remember the financials as they're long gone, but owning that car at a young age brought a lifetime of memories.

Life is for living, aint it?

So many interesting discussion on colors. I think silver and gray both become very boring after a while... Of course this is subjective, but colors are..

Yellow exterior with red interior is very, very cool! It is a bit too flashy though.

Here's a surprise: Yesterday I saw an Aqua Blue color with red interior (Superman)... never thought it'd work, but it simply looked AMAZING!!! I think it's mostly due to the blue color and it's unique + extreme metallic shine! I really, really liked it that I'm now considering to go change my order!!
This is the color:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tilenlicen/8085596168/

I'm considering one more aspect however:
This is a car that I'm planning to keep for about 7-8 years. Within a period like that, some accessories, colors & additions would sometime go outdated. Remember the unique orange color of the infiniti FX 2005? That was very cool, however, after a couple of years, it becomes so outdated & over used that you don't wanna look at it anymore.. BMW 3 series of 2000 had wheels that are unique, but people got sick of it after a while. I staid away from the 20" Carrera Classic wheels for the same reason, and picked the Carrera S instead. Again, might be very subjective, but might also be true..

And for that, I guess Black is a color that never gets outdated or out of fashion, which is a strength!

Oh,
I almost forgot... Amaranth red:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregory...n/photostream/
Although I never saw it in reality, but I just LOVE this color! Unlike the Aqua blue which looks sporty, this one looks classy, but very nice.. Problem: can't imagine it with red interior, I guess it'd look odd, wouldn't it?

White is a beauty, especially with red interior. But again, that's the same color I had on my Cayman S. Having the same color again -considering the keeping it for the next 8 years- means that I'll be driving a white car with red interior for a whole decade! Can't think of anything else that defines "boring" better

Mmmmm.. It doesn't seem that I'll be sleeping tonight!

Quick Reply: Coming Soon!