Sponsored by:

Covering yellow airbag info on visors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering yellow airbag info on visors

has anyone found a source for a solution to covering up the yellow airbag info on the sun visors?

thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 01:26 PM
RMR991
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SunVisor covers

On both my Boxster and my 991 I have used Sunvisor covers purchased off ebay from Boxsterbob1999. They work great to cover the nasty stickers. Search Sunvisor Covers on ebay. They ship in a couple of days. I have ordered from him twice and no problems either time.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

thanks, will do that

cheers
Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

If you do a search of the RL archives you will find instructions as to how to remove the stickers entirely using denatured alcohol. That's what I did.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:18 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If you do a search of the RL archives you will find instructions as to how to remove the stickers entirely using denatured alcohol. That's what I did.
I will do a search, i will also double check the visor because it doesn't look like a sticker, it looks like its actually part of the visor material.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by limey940
I will do a search, i will also double check the visor because it doesn't look like a sticker, it looks like its actually part of the visor material.
Unless Porsche has changed the way that they do it for the 991, you're correct in that it's not a normal paper sticker. It's a very thin vinyl-like film but it's not actually part of the visor.

You remove the visor and place a cloth soaked (not dripping) in denatured alcohol on the sticker for 10 minutes or so to soften it. Then "paint" the edge with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol. Very carefully pry up a corner and as you peel the sticker it helps to continue to paint the contact line between the sticker and visor with the Q-tip, continuing to dip the Q-tip in the alcohol as you go. If you do this slowly and carefully it's easy to get the sticker off in one piece.

In the light of a photo flash it's possible to see the barest "shadow" of where the sticker was but under normal interior light this isn't noticeable and much less obvious than a covering sticker would be. With a little more work even this shadow could be removed but I was happy with it as is.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2012, 06:26 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Thanks a lot Mike, im going to take a look at this over the next day or so
Is denatured alcohol the same as rubbing alcohol, if not where can you buy denatured alcohol.
cheers
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Is denatured alcohol the same as rubbing alcohol, if not where can you buy denatured alcohol.
cheers
Yep. Rubbing alcohol is denatured alcohol. Just means alcohol contaminated with a government-mandated compound to make you very very sick if you drink it.

Vodka would work just as well. At least the unflavored sort. Other recreational alcohols would leave an odor. Possibly a congenial odor, but an odor nonetheless.

Gary
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I recall form college many years ago, denatured alcohol is ethanol with methylated additive to make it unfit for drinking while rubbing alcohol is Isopropyl alcohol. Don't know if both would do the same job on the adhesive. I do know that I removed the adhesives on my BMW's visors with Goof-Off and it worked very well.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

cheers
Here in the US, virtually any hardware store (DIY stores in England?) will carry denatured alcohol.

Originally Posted by mtony
From what I recall form college many years ago, denatured alcohol is ethanol with methylated additive to make it unfit for drinking while rubbing alcohol is Isopropyl alcohol. Don't know if both would do the same job on the adhesive. I do know that I removed the adhesives on my BMW's visors with Goof-Off and it worked very well.
That's what I understood the difference to be as well. Both types of alcohol should work as solvents although I've never tried isopropyl for that purpose.

Since the things on the Porsche visors aren't typical adhesive backed stickers, I don't know how well Goof-Off or similar products would work on them. But if BMW uses the same kind and it worked for you, maybe that's another option.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I like mine the way it came from the factory. Matches the yellow exterior and seatbelts.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Gene G
Advanced

Just dampen a small cloth or sponge with 91% alcohol. Then damped the edge of the sticker and it will come off. Has to be 91%. I tried 70% and it wouldn't work.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on the Boxsterbob1999 ebay purchase. I applied two black stickers and it's all good. I didn't want to mess with trying to get them off, so I chose the less risky approach of just covering them.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:27 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's no risk if you do what gene g describes above. comes off easily, just have to be patient and keep applying the alcohol frequently. easy.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene G
Just dampen a small cloth or sponge with 91% alcohol. Then damped the edge of the sticker and it will come off. Has to be 91%. I tried 70% and it wouldn't work.
70% works. You just have to soak the vinyl for at least 10 minutes (probably over 15 minutes). I can say this from personal experience. However, 90% will work much faster.

Goof-Off does NOT work on Porsche visor vinyls. Ask me how I know.... (what seemed like) hours and hours wasted on picking off 1 mm piece at a time..... Maybe it was Goo-Gone. All I know is that one of those (or both) does not work. Unless you like torture...

Quick Reply: Covering yellow airbag info on visors