PCM/Nav programming - tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCM/Nav programming - tips and tricks

Hey;

So Ive had the car a couple of weeks Im experimenting with all the different PCM and Nav type options. Is there a thread for folks to post little tips or tricks or things that they discovered while playing with the settings?

I remember there was a thread in the 997 forum about things people had discovered and i learned something even after having the car for a year or two.

There are just so many options it can be a little overwhelming coming from a 997.1

cheers
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Looks like you just started one If it gets traction we'll make it a "sticky".

Best,
Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I know one thing, the NAV interface is one of the worst I've ever seen, I am tempted to buy a Garmin unit and just glue it to that damned large screen, what a useless piece of junk - there are two things that are just awful on thie 991, the horrible awful hill holding function that makes me stall the car on every hill, which I never do with any other car, and the horrible awuful user interface to the map display, particularly the stupid way to enter addresses. I also don't think much of the sirius radio thing that was supposedly pre-installed with a 3 month free subscription and does nothing at all. You would think that a $100,000 could either hire a competent user interface designer, or omit the functions - there is nothing on that display that is done better than a $200 GPS or radio - the car would be better without it, much better.

There, now that I got that off my chest..... I sure hope someone comes up with something useful to do with it other than paste a picture of a real dashboard over it or cover it over.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i really like the nav, much better than any other car.

i always have the cluster one set from above, up as direction of car,

the dash, birds eye, 3D, north up, buildings on, with the satelite image..

sounds like william really likes his car,
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 78 Posts

I have 991 4S on order. One thing I really like on my wife's 2004 Lexus is multiple destinations input that creates a route...is that function available in my2013 PCM?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing to remember is that if you set your seat memory, it will remember all of your map settings, audio settings, and the like. So, if you get your PCM display to where you like it, be sure to "save" your work by using the seat memory, and then you can really play and mess around as much as you like and always return to your "safe", or "known" settings.

Myself, I've played with the latest Audi Google-earth Nav stuff in the 2013 S5 (I actually purchased the car after my 2009 C4S and traded it on the 2012 C2S after a few months) - and I find the new PCM with the 991 a real breath of fresh air into the Porsche Carrera. I think it's pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. Car makers do silly things sometimes. For instance, in the 2013 Audi S5 Cab, I had to use a Ross-Tech vagcom cable plugged into the OBD-II port and Ross-Tech's software to bypass the Audi lockout of their voice command system in the cabriolet. That's right, they have a voice command system ready to go but they lock it out on their A5 and S5 Cabriolets, and it's a great system once you use your professional shop-level diagnostic tool to go around their corporate silliness. At least Porsche has their cabriolet voice command unlocked from the get-go But, I digress. The 991 PCM has some nice features like graphics of the satellite radio stations you won't find unless you get a brand new aftermarket system, and if you access the "options" tab of the PCM in all of its different areas you can really set it just about any way you want..I really like that. Basically I'd say the key to the PCM in the 991 is becoming familiar with the options screens, and having a base set of preferences you can return to with the seat memory.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also find the nav to be fine. How do you find entering addresses deficient?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:59 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Im quite liking the NAV so far. yes, you can set multiple destinations along a route, and add a stop by touching the screen.
Im going to take a look at what this set up looks like;

i always have the cluster one set from above, up as direction of car,

the dash, birds eye, 3D, north up, buildings on, with the satellite image..

Do all cars have the ambient lighting feature, cant seem to find that in the vehicle settings?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't depend on NAV much, in fact I haven't used it yet in my 991. During my introduction to it by the salesman though, it was noted that you can use the touch screen to choose your destination, that looks pretty user friendly to me.
limey, there is a setting for interior lighting under the CAR screen. I can't remember the exact steps, but it has something like "lighting and visibility," which leads you to "interior lighting" where you can set/adjust the dome and ambient lights. In the same general area you can also adjust the coming home feature's timing, etc.
I probably use my Ipod more than any other music source and I am very pleased with the 991's PCM interface for it. The one on my previous Audi reset itself every time you turned the car off, where the Porsche returns to where you left off. I have now had the free trial Sirius/XM radio on my last few cars, and although I like it while I have it, I don't like it enough to pay for it, so have never re-upped the subscriptions when they expire.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

OK, thanks MTB.
On the entertainment side Im loving the streaming of Pandora via blue tooth from my i phone.
that is probably what i listen to the most, have about 20 stations for every mood..

cheers
Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is going to be a very helpful thread. My eyes glaze over when I try to read the directions. After 5,000 miles I would have to say it's a great radio but a lousy television. Operator error I'm certain.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 159 Posts

Have you read the manual? I find the nav in my 991s to be one of best I have ever had in a car. The sat radio on the other hand, has the worse reception of any sat radio I have ever owned.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:48 PM
deturney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any problems with my 991 Nav or Sat.

I put an in-dash Kenwood unit with a Garmin Nav into my Forester, it was installed about 6 months before I got my got my 991. There was only one thing on my 991 Nav that I had to adjust to, which was putting the street name in before the actual address #. Not a big deal and I like the Nav very much.

I don't plan to stay with the Satellite subscription even though it works fine. I can put the money to better use buying albums and expanding my iTunes music library which I can use anywhere.

Last edited by deturney; 11-02-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

You sure your sat radio is working right? My reception has been great.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:47 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

OK, i have a question.
Just got back from running some chores, wife called me on the way home, need to pick up some buttonaires (SP?) for a function tonight.
So, i go into the NAV system to try and find a florist, don't know the name of any.
Went into POI, and shopping but couldn't refine it to florist.
Anyone know how to search on a shopping sub type?

thanks

thanks

Quick Reply: PCM/Nav programming - tips and tricks