Sponsored by:

Roofrack with bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Roofrack with bikes

As promised, here's a brief update on my new factory roofrack set up for hauling bikes.
The OEM rack arrived at the dealer with no instructions and they hadn't even seen one for the 991 yet so they were going to call tech support. After a quick Google search, to my embarassment (and their's), found out that detailed instructions are in our owner's manual starting on page 179.
It's a really keen design. Pull up four pieces of rubber driprail trim, lift up eight folding tabs in the roof slots, and the rack screws into them. There is a small locating tab on each rack foot that goes down into the slot and that is the only thing that touches the car itself, nothing touches the painted surface of the roof which is really nice.
I mounted the feet separately, then placed my RockyMounts trays up on them to measure for where the rear support would be. The RockyMounts Eurotrays come in lots of colors, I actually had some red ones from my former MINI but I had cut them down to clear its hatch, so I opted to use the blue ones from my former Audi. The front "head" of the tray bolts down into the front crossbar, then I drilled a hole through the tray to bolt it down to the rear crossbar. The trays are forkmount, meaning you have to remove the front wheel of the bike, they are lockable, and very secure bolted down to the already bolted down rack.
I took one of my mountainbikes out for a ride yesterday, it's a large framed full suspension Scott that weighs about 25lbs. The front wheel goes into a Mavic bag and I put it in the back with the seats folded down, carried my gear in the trunk. It was a short trip, less than 15 miles each way, but it's not too noisy and gas mileage didn't seem to be affected that much. You can't open the sunroof with it mounted, but wouldn't want to anyway because of the wind noise factor. I think it's a very well designed addition that truly helps make our cars "Porsche Everyday."

Old 10-29-2012, 01:36 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Second the racks -- very useful.

Thank you for the bike carrying review. Looking to do that next.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:45 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Nice to know how well they work. I once spent about 30 mins wrapping my bike frame and wheels in blankets and stowing in the back. Not a good option but doable in a pinch.

I regret not getting the racks when ordering my May build 991S as I could have saved about $250.00.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 PM
ctporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks very much for the info, mtbscott. If you accidentally opened the sunroof, would it cause damage by hitting the rear roof crossbar?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:02 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

can you do me a favor and measure from the ground to the top of your seat? On some trips I need to pull into a parking garage and would love to know if I can fit.

Looks cool!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ctporsche
Thanks very much for the info, mtbscott. If you accidentally opened the sunroof, would it cause damage by hitting the rear roof crossbar?
The roof most definitely will not clear the crossbars. I suspect there may be some "reverse pinch protection" but haven't tried it yet. It's really a non-issue for me as I only use the open roof sparingly.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vman4639
can you do me a favor and measure from the ground to the top of your seat? On some trips I need to pull into a parking garage and would love to know if I can fit.

Looks cool!
I won't have it back on until the weekend to measure. I can tell you it's a few inches lower than either of my past two cars, and both of them could fit under nine foot barriers which seems to be the standard for most drive-thru lanes. I would think it would be too tall for most parking garages in general.

Last edited by mtbscott; 11-09-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Attilars
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for to review. I have ordered mine with the rack and will be using it often. How long does the rack take to put on and take off?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen

Loved your car fbroen!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Attilars
Thanks a lot for to review. I have ordered mine with the rack and will be using it often. How long does the rack take to put on and take off?
The first time I put it on, adjusted everything, and mounted the trays took about an hour. When I got home from riding I just loosened the eight bolts holding it on and lifted it off with the help of my neighbor. It's not heavy but I wanted to be cautious the first time.
On my previous Audi, I would lay a thick quilt on top of the car before mounting/dismounting my rack to avoid any scratching and I could easily do it by myself, about 10 minutes to mount, 5 minutes to dismount.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Love your choice of recreation! I'm a wakeboarder too. (Very very novice over 40 year old wakeboarder!)

Oh....wait a sec....is that a snowboard or a wakeboard?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Wakeboard. Season is winding down tho. Time for snowboards soon.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:03 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Wakeboard. Season is winding down tho. Time for snowboards soon.
Not here in S FL - went out today!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vman4639

Looks cool!
Measured tallest mountainbike on rack and seat height was about 80-82" or right at 7'. I would think that would really be testing parking garage clearance.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have often wondered if the rack would conflict with the sunroof. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quick Reply: Roofrack with bikes