Help! .. PDCC in Carrera 4s

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 06:25 PM
saint.666
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! .. PDCC in Carrera 4s

Hi..

I have a few days left to lock my order for Carrera 4S .. but this issue of PDCC is bugging the hell out of me .. i read nearly every post on this topic and opinions are divided so the only valid conclusion i can draw that it ultimately a personal choice .. and that's fair enough

However i feel the issue of PDCC has not been covered with regards to 4-wheel drive and therefore request your guidance..

for my prospective im considering PDCC because:
1) This will be my 1st Porsche ... thus im not going to be missing that Porsche/911 feel that every 1 is talking about
2) Im not major track person ..so lap-times is not concern.. however i do go for a drive on some twisty roads every weekend
3) We have the worst roads ever ever ever .. its criminally bad !.. and from what i read it seems PDCC provides a more comfortable and forgiving ride .. especially that ill be including SPASM in my order..

However the following concerns me:
A) its well known that 4-wheel drive cars tend to under-steer a bit.. so will the PDCC improves or worsen the under-steer?
B) This seems to be complex system and thus there could be maintenance issues down the line

I know that 4s has not yet been driven and thus its more difficult to provide a constructive opinion .. Nonetheless id really appreciate some feedback in view of the above factors
Old 10-20-2012, 06:31 PM
dochusar
Advanced

Difficult to answer your question as the 991 4 and 991 4S are available to test drive. I drove the 991 S with and without PDCC without spasm as my roads are notoriously bad after each winter. I decided not to opt for PDCC, and went with the regular PASM. I used my money on a glass sunroof and the sports design package. I would recommend that you drive the 991 S with and without PDCC to see if it is worth it for you.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:43 PM
saint.666
AutoX

Originally Posted by dochusar
I would recommend that you drive the 991 S with and without PDCC to see if it is worth it for you.
The dealers over here are completely sold out !! .. all the cars on delivery are sold too ...
Old 10-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Originally Posted by saint.666
The dealers over here are completely sold out !! .. all the cars on delivery are sold too ...
If trackdriving is not important, ordinary PASM.

PDCC would add comfort and I think no problem.

Dag
Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 PM
iambon
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

I m amazed how good is PDCC , actually I feel like there is no body roll at all and I can attack corners with confident.
There is other cars drive and turn like 911 with PDCC.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Originally Posted by saint.666
Hi..

I have a few days left to lock my order for Carrera 4S .. but this issue of PDCC is bugging the hell out of me .. i read nearly every post on this topic and opinions are divided so the only valid conclusion i can draw that it ultimately a personal choice .. and that's fair enough

However i feel the issue of PDCC has not been covered with regards to 4-wheel drive and therefore request your guidance..

for my prospective im considering PDCC because:
1) This will be my 1st Porsche ... thus im not going to be missing that Porsche/911 feel that every 1 is talking about
2) Im not major track person ..so lap-times is not concern.. however i do go for a drive on some twisty roads every weekend
3) We have the worst roads ever ever ever .. its criminally bad !.. and from what i read it seems PDCC provides a more comfortable and forgiving ride .. especially that ill be including SPASM in my order..

However the following concerns me:
A) its well known that 4-wheel drive cars tend to under-steer a bit.. so will the PDCC improves or worsen the under-steer?
B) This seems to be complex system and thus there could be maintenance issues down the line

I know that 4s has not yet been driven and thus its more difficult to provide a constructive opinion .. Nonetheless id really appreciate some feedback in view of the above factors

If the roads are so bad you DONT want SPASM. Normal PASM are WAY more comfortable.
PDCC or not, as long as you dont trackdrive the car, it will be fine with it.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

SPASM lowers and stiffens the ride with shorter stiffer shocks and roll bars.

PDCC has nothing to do with comfort. It neither stiffens or softens the ride- it keeps the car from leaning in hard cornering (barely perceptible in low speed cornering) by dynamically adjusting roll rate.

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 AM
aljaberh
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the normal PASM will be a better choice for our roads (am from Qatar) i was really confused whether or not to go for the SPASM & PDCC but found it more convenient to stick with the standard PASM and spend the money on other options
Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
SPASM lowers and stiffens the ride with shorter stiffer shocks and roll bars.

PDCC has nothing to do with comfort. It neither stiffens or softens the ride- it keeps the car from leaning in hard cornering (barely perceptible in low speed cornering) by dynamically adjusting roll rate.

Agree it does not play in suspension softness. With SPASM and PDCC you get a stiffer roll bar but by having the end links soft it is like having a disconnected/soft roll bar when you are cruising or driving straight and one wheel hits a pot hole! Bam! But only one side of the car reacts, little to no force transferred across the car as would be normal with a hard bar. That is comfort, confidence and safety especially on rough roads in normal driving.

I would agree with regular PASM it is not needed. The suspension and bar are soft enough for comfort.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 AM
o2bcdn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 991S with regular PASM and PDCC. I can't say enough good things about this combo. The ride is excellent on crapy Illinois highways and very well controlled on the track (I do 4-6 track days per year). Compared to me 997.2 C2S, the overall ride comfort is dramatically improved - the ride more supple over bumps, potholes, railway tracks etc and the interior is noticeably quieter. During a 991S test drive, it drove over a railway crossing near my house. In my 997.2 I always braced a little for the crossing, it would rock the whole car and I could feel it through the steering and the seat. The first time I went over that railway crossing in the 991S I said "wow, that was amaingly smooth" to the salesman. It really impressed me.

The PDCC option does not directly improve comfort, but it does indirectly. If Porsche wanted to achieve the same no body role, flat cornering qualities without PDCC, they would have to use extremely stiff sway bars - those very stiff sway bars would reduce comfort and suppleness of the ride. So, PDCC does not directly make the car more comfortable, but it does make the car more comfortable for the relative amount of cornering stiffness available.

I am very happy with PDCC and would not consider buying a Porsche without it, except perhaps a Cayenne diesel, in which case cornering prowess would not be the reason for buying a vehicle like that.

My 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

The problem with PDCC is that in a low sports car it masks the 'seat of the pants' feel - if you understand what that means and are tuned with the car.

It's excellent on a Cayenne though.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:25 PM
SiNi
Instructor

PDCC plus regular PASM potentially gives you best of both worlds - the lack of body roll without having to have harsh suspension on the bumps! My understanding is that the PDCC system on the 991 is a new design and cannot necessarily be compared to PDCC on other P cars. Also the whole "feel thing" on track is surely a case of learning how the car behaves with PDCC by lots of practice especially if you are a novice with regard to driving a high performance car on a circuit.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:19 PM
saint.666
AutoX

Thank you all for your feedback ..

With regards to SPASM .. my decision to go with it is aesthetic .. lowered suspension with those wider arches and 305 back tyres..perfect !

i know its gonna create an issue with roads here .... but all i wanted to know if PDCC will give some advantage on the terrible roads here

my other issue is under-steer .. The guys at Motor Trend say that the PDCC creates under-steer ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Upd03eZjzIo

That test was made with C2S (2-wheel drive) .. so i guess it could be worst in the C4S (4-wheel drive)..

your opinions on the under-steer will be appreciated
Old 10-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
The problem with PDCC is that in a low sports car it masks the 'seat of the pants' feel - if you understand what that means and are tuned with the car.
Not on mine it doesn't. Contrary to expectations I can always feel what levels of grip are on offer.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Not on mine it doesn't. Contrary to expectations I can always feel what levels of grip are on offer.
You need to drive it harder.

Quick Reply: Help! .. PDCC in Carrera 4s