Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Not that we should care but, 997 guys are ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/718843-not-that-we-should-care-but-997-guys-are.html)

MikeBat 10-01-2012 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by watermelon (Post 9872766)
I'm coming from an other (french) forum. As far as I can see, there is the same behavior there. One member posted a quite funny (but realisitic) description of each Porsche owner profile (from Porsche classic to 991's owner).
I cannot translate it all here in english, but concerning 997's owners, this is something like this:

"The ex-King of the site: 997's and gt3rs owners. They were laughing (until dec 2011) to see others wanting to get into the Club. They are mainly from Paris [ie: traffic jam and no way to enjoy a sport car], riding from "La Concorde" and "Place de l'Etoile" [equivalent to driving on Hollywood Bvd :p]. They are changing their cars very often, and some (the jealous) consider them as 'not passionnated'. They'll tell you this is not a 'girls trap', but due to their age, they have to compensate. If you see them on topics talking about luxury watches, aircraft or next vacation in Dubai, you'll be their home.

Let's end with.. Gods of the Stadium!! Future, or even already new 991's owners. They are always one step ahead. They ordered it even before seeing it. We can recognize them when they pass in the street, there are always few inches between them and the floor. They are levitating on top of the mob. They particularly sneer at fallen kings, ex-kings, 997's owners, who pretend to "not like at all" the new one. They are laughing when they hear about "ugly back" of their car, about "bourgeois" and "definitly no longer a Porsche" interior, because they actually knows that when they will sell it, there will be a huge queue to buy firsts used 991 as second hand.
Them, "Gods", don't care, because at that time, they'll have already bought a brand new GT3 or Turbo. And of course, like any Gods, we hate them or we venerate them."

Here the link to the source, if you can understand french, this is quite hilarious, including about other categories of Porsche owners.. :)
http://www.club911.net/viewthread.ph...00211&page=106

EDIT: Well you'll certainly have to register to see the post. If some of you are interested to read it completely, I might take some time to translate it all :)

Love it!

chuckbdc 10-01-2012 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by deturney (Post 9879436)
Not trying to hijack the thread but I just have to answer back to this: IMO Porsche already has possibly the finest pure sports car anywhere, but it is not a 911. My 2012 Cayman with a MT and standard non-adjustable suspension was about as pure as it gets these days.

I am no expert so I can't say for sure that it ultimately handled better than my 991S, what I will say is that I could take it through the same corners as fast or faster than my 991 with more confidence. It's hard to explain, but the Cayman is more composed and unflappable in the corners.

To me it's a shame that you can't buy a 400+HP Cayman from Porsche, we all know they can build it!

If you want a 400HP + Porsche hatchback, just get a Panamera GTS! :evilgrin:

deturney 10-01-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbdc (Post 9883352)
If you want a 400HP + Porsche hatchback, just get a Panamera GTS! :evilgrin:

Will they put the engine in the middle for me? ;)

I have driven a Panamera GTS on a Road Show road course. Wow, was I surprised in a very good way. I figured it would be fast, but it handled exceptionally well too. The handling was capable of putting the HP to good use.

That was the last time I will judge a car before driving one!

chuckbdc 10-01-2012 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by deturney (Post 9884004)
Will they put the engine in the middle for me? ;)

I have driven a Panamera GTS on a Road Show road course. Wow, was I surprised in a very good way. I figured it would be fast, but it handled exceptionally well too. The handling was capable of putting the HP to good use.

That was the last time I will judge a car before driving one!

I had the same reaction at the Road Show here! The GTS (red with a full whorehouse interior) was in line behind the PCNA driver, who took off full tilt. What could I do but stab Sport+, nail it and trust his line and brake lights? I thought "there's no way" I am gonna survive, but it just blasted through with zero fuss. I had not experienced Sport+ PDK doing its thing at track speeds before that, and came away a true believer. I was hoping to find a used one next year, but after seeing the Shooting Brake..... sigh.

deturney 10-01-2012 10:42 PM

It could be that we both drove same car. "Full Whorehouse Interior" indeed! :D

chuckbdc 10-02-2012 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by deturney (Post 9884323)
It could be that we both drove same car. "Full Whorehouse Interior" indeed! :D

Well, it had all that red alcantara hugging tight, and when I pushed its buttons it pushed mine...(uhm, I have read about those places).

holminator 10-02-2012 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by fast1 (Post 9879443)
In my personal case, I like the 991 and often think about upgrading my 997 at some point in the future. However, while I like it, it's not the direction I had hoped Porsche would take with the new 911. I wanted a new 911 that was smaller and with body styling closer to the original, a little more pure sports and less GT. But Porsche did the opposite. I think there are many who like me wanted the 991 to be something a little different than what it is for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean we're hostile to the 991.

My first Porsche was a 1970 911. It would be interesting to see a 1970 911 and a 997 side by side. It's been over 40 years but my recollection is that my 911 didn't have an air conditioner, only a basic radio, no power seats or windows, no cup holders, and no leather. It didn't have much HP and its curb weight was well under 3000 lbs. So it was definately a very spartan, pure sports car.
Now if you look at each iteration of the 911 model, you'll find that they are becoming more GT and less pure Sports car. Also, with all of the electronic aids, 911s are becoming far easier to drive. For example anyone can take a 991 and drive it to near its max in complete safety. By comparison I'd like to see an inexperienced driver, accustomed to the protection offered by stability management, try driving a 993 to near its max.
So do I hate 991s? Of course not. Although I've never driven one, I expect that they are outstanding cars based on the posts that I have read on this forum. Fortunately however for drivers like me, Porsche still offers GT2 and GT3 models. Moreover, I expect that a lightly optioned 991S would probably meet my needs.
Bottom line I expect that the vast majority of sports car enthusiasts appreciate every iteration of the 911.

Agreed least all of the so-called "purist" 993/996/997 yet esteemed owners take their 911s to the shop today to have their power steering removed. :corn:

FORENN 10-02-2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by David in Talent (Post 9872448)
As always, people will eventually adjust to the new . Many people resist change, no matter how good. I own a 2007 C4S which I love and have no desire to move up to the 991, but eventually.............

Of course. There are clearly already many converts.

parkerfe 10-06-2012 09:38 AM

Each new 911 is always the best 911 ever.

gt3rs. 10-06-2012 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by parkerfe (Post 9896773)

I agree 100% on technology but not on the look and caracter .For me the best porsche were the carrera rs and the 993tt. 996 front end was a big mistake but it was a good car. 997 gt3 and gt3 rs are really nice car with caracter . 991 is good looking but i dont like the car is bigger on each generation . I want the 911 to be a sport car and not a gt car. I dont like to say that but the boxster s seem to be the real sport car right now ...

fast1 10-06-2012 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by parkerfe (Post 9896773)

I think you may get some push back on the 996 from many who owned a 993.

OldGuy 10-06-2012 07:38 PM

I havent seen this idea so I will put it out there anyway. I have had every edition since the 993TT, 996 GT3 (WOAH WHAT fun!!) 997.1 GT3 (WOAH WHAT NOISE!!) and now my 997.2. I loved all of them but here is the reason for what you see:
WE ARE ALL 911 NUTS!!!! Think about it: What car thats important to the auto world that changes the LEAST? OUR 911's Of Course!!! There is some genetic trait that goes back to 356 owners that HATES CHANGES!!! (All humans dislike change by definition, its unsettling) but really out of ALL car owners we are the owners (no matter WHAT model) of the most historic non changing shape in all of AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY. Nothing is ICONIC as the 911 NOTHING!! So what happens in the Car Mag world when ANYTHING changes on the 911? Even if its a new spark plug and nothing else, there are TONS and TONS of paper written about the change no matter how small. So its ingrained in the very BONES of 911 owners that change is BAD. It doesnt matter what it is its HORRIBLE. I bet MILLIONS of dollars were made by phycologists when Porches put a WATER cooled motor in the 911!! People were having anxiety attacks, there were protests, and several hundred people were talked of building edges.

So if you would like to identify the group of people who absolutely hate change the MOST.....911 owners.
How many of you that have been in the 911 world for awhile that have friends who have BOUGHT BACK their old 911? I do, and I bet there is more than a couple in here who do also.

Its not that the old guys dont Like the new 911... OH THEY DO! But its an INSULT to them their cars and their marque that ANYONE would DARE make a change to the most perfect thing God has EVER let man make-Their own 911. There is a mental deficiency that happens when the new 911 comes out. It causes depression, anxiety and ANGER! In most its not a life long disease. It gets better and lessens over time (for most, some it stays for ever!See AIR COOLED). I mean I would NEVER would have thought that someone would call the 997owners, the Old 911 guys.

But what you are seeing is NOT a real dislike for the new guys or their cars. Its just a time based mental lapse that takes 911 owners longer to get over than NORMAL people. You will see in an other 6 months more and more 997 and older guys be less divisive and less argumentative than they were before, and even a gentleness when they see a new owner in their new 991. In time you will see even some admiration by some of the older vets.

So its NOTHING personal. Your just witnessing evolution HAPPEN before your very eyes. Some Species take longer than others. The only other similar condition I know of in the human condition is Apple owners. But even then its only a slight affection compared to 911 owners. So dont worry about it. Its your job to sit back and let the previous generations 911 owner to heal and get better. Then when the 992 comes out YOU will be part of those old gnarly 911 owners who dont appreciate newer engineering.
And there will be guys in the 992 forum writing posts about you.

chuckbdc 10-06-2012 09:27 PM

+1

solomonschris 10-06-2012 09:41 PM

Fabulous. Nice piece of writing.

OldGuy 10-07-2012 12:15 AM

Thanks Sometimes being around Porsche people (my favorite of all my groups) enables me to have thought clarity, that I just dont get around other people.