Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Not that we should care but, 997 guys are ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/718843-not-that-we-should-care-but-997-guys-are.html)

solomonschris 09-26-2012 09:29 PM

Not that we should care but, 997 guys are ?

I've owned a bunch of Porsches over a lot of years. I didn't discover these forums until I was searching for my 993tt. I really appreciate the advice I have been given here. Since I am retired, the many hours I spend on the various Porsche forums can't be considered wasted. What I have noticed is that 997 owner's are downright hostile to the 991. I bought a new 09' C2S cab on May 09. I loved this car. It was too damn noisy at speed, but otherwise, the best Porsche I had owned. I now have the 991 version of the 997 I had. This car is another of Porsche's evolutionary, improvements. I am perplexed at the 997 forum's negative comments. I am most certainly not trying to start trouble but, as can't we all just get along.

Porschegaleno 09-26-2012 09:32 PM

I guess is like the "old pretty woman" jealous of the young one :)

solomonschris 09-26-2012 09:35 PM

Yet another typo. Please remove the word "as" from the end of my last sentence.

David in Talent 09-27-2012 02:26 AM

As always, people will eventually adjust to the new . Many people resist change, no matter how good. I own a 2007 C4S which I love and have no desire to move up to the 991, but eventually.............

duxsi 09-27-2012 03:00 AM

This has always been the case when new models come out - Sometimes warranted, other times not so much.
Perhaps it based on the realization that the 997 has taken an exaggerated depreciation hit.
Perhaps the vitriol is based on the disparaging comments from 991 owners.

In the end its all just silliness with toys being thrown out of the pram..

Rainier_991 09-27-2012 06:09 AM

It is my guess that there will be similar comments from 991 owners once the next model is released (whatever the next number will be).
It's life and is fully expected. Ti be honest, I myself would perhaps not be too impressed if I'd bought a 997 say two years ago and my shiny new toy that cost me so much of my hard earned cash has suddenly been relegated to yesterdays history.
As with all Porsches you just have to sit back, relax and either upgrade if you are that way enclined or just wait until your Porsche becomes a classic and is once again desirable.

Rainier

KBS911 09-27-2012 06:25 AM

Love my 997, but I'm impressed with the 991. Just not enough to trade my 12 GTS right now. That said the new 991 GT3 or a 991 with power kit is in my future. Beautiful cars.

spourreza 09-27-2012 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by solomonschris (Post 9872282)
I've owned a bunch of Porsches over a lot of years. I didn't discover these forums until I was searching for my 993tt. I really appreciate the advice I have been given here. Since I am retired, the many hours I spend on the various Porsche forums can't be considered wasted. What I have noticed is that 997 owner's are downright hostile to the 991. I bought a new 09' C2S cab on May 09. I loved this car. It was too damn noisy at speed, but otherwise, the best Porsche I had owned. I now have the 991 version of the 997 I had. This car is another of Porsche's evolutionary, improvements. I am perplexed at the 997 forum's negative comments. I am most certainly not trying to start trouble but, as can't we all just get along.

Interesting. I just came from a 997.2. In my view - both cars are awesome and I definitely miss by 997. In a perfect world (with no wife!), I would have owned both. The 991 is just an evolution. Porsche rarely changes their cars and their owners are use to that. So when changes happens, everyone resists. When it comes down to it, Porsche needed to make some changes (some good and some bad). In the end, we all share one thing: love of the brand.

Marine Blue 09-27-2012 08:53 AM

As an outsider I have observed similar on the 997 forum. Personally I really like both and in truth I see reasons to love nearly all Porsches. They're all beautiful in their own way and they all bring a different driving experience with them. The 991 is the Jekyll and Hyde of 911's.

It's odd because you don't see this on the 987/981 forums when comparing the new boxster against the old one. Everyone seems to agree that the new one is better in every way.

I'm looking forward to seeing the GT versions of the 991 and the sportier versions of the 981, hopefully Porsche will strip these down a bit to provide a more sport focused product.

Rainier_991 09-27-2012 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by spourreza (Post 9872672)
In the end, we all share one thing: love of the brand.

That is true.
It can be argued that the relatively small incremental changes between the few major updates of the 911 preserve much of the value of the previous generation. That is a good thing and in fact is very much part of the 911 history. It has traceability over near 50 years now. A 911 is and stays a 911, does not matter when it was built and it's much more than just a theroretical relationship between old and new, even though there is little similarity between a 991 and a 1963 original 911.
I can think of a few brands where you do not have the luxury of consitency over model generations. I don't think a Daytona or Muira is still made. With a 1963 911 (if you are lucky enough to own one) you still have a living, developing car even though it is a classic. We are indeed fortunate with the 911 and Porsches often criticized continuation of it.

Nevertheless, an existing owner of a previous generation will always feel somewhat let down, no matter how small the changes are. It is only when the car reaches "classic" status when this no longer matters.

Rainier

watermelon 09-27-2012 09:33 AM

I'm coming from an other (french) forum. As far as I can see, there is the same behavior there. One member posted a quite funny (but realisitic) description of each Porsche owner profile (from Porsche classic to 991's owner).
I cannot translate it all here in english, but concerning 997's owners, this is something like this:

"The ex-King of the site: 997's and gt3rs owners. They were laughing (until dec 2011) to see others wanting to get into the Club. They are mainly from Paris [ie: traffic jam and no way to enjoy a sport car], riding from "La Concorde" and "Place de l'Etoile" [equivalent to driving on Hollywood Bvd :p]. They are changing their cars very often, and some (the jealous) consider them as 'not passionnated'. They'll tell you this is not a 'girls trap', but due to their age, they have to compensate. If you see them on topics talking about luxury watches, aircraft or next vacation in Dubai, you'll be their home.

Let's end with.. Gods of the Stadium!! Future, or even already new 991's owners. They are always one step ahead. They ordered it even before seeing it. We can recognize them when they pass in the street, there are always few inches between them and the floor. They are levitating on top of the mob. They particularly sneer at fallen kings, ex-kings, 997's owners, who pretend to "not like at all" the new one. They are laughing when they hear about "ugly back" of their car, about "bourgeois" and "definitly no longer a Porsche" interior, because they actually knows that when they will sell it, there will be a huge queue to buy firsts used 991 as second hand.
Them, "Gods", don't care, because at that time, they'll have already bought a brand new GT3 or Turbo. And of course, like any Gods, we hate them or we venerate them."

Here the link to the source, if you can understand french, this is quite hilarious, including about other categories of Porsche owners.. :)
http://www.club911.net/viewthread.ph...00211&page=106

EDIT: Well you'll certainly have to register to see the post. If some of you are interested to read it completely, I might take some time to translate it all :)

cmb13 09-27-2012 10:03 AM

It would be interesting to see how Google Translate handles it.

chuckbdc 09-27-2012 10:07 AM

Heed his words: anyone with a red 993 TT and a silver 991S (let alone a Hog and Duc) has clearly found truth and enlightenment.

solomonschris 09-27-2012 01:15 PM

Would that that were so Chuck. I am a man trapped in his hobbies, my boats being the most time consuming. My bank account balance would be so much better if I was into crossword puzzles, bird watching and hiking, like a good friend of mine.

jumper5836 09-27-2012 01:37 PM

The 991 doesn’t interest me, nor did the 997 until I saw the first and second gen GT3. The 991 lights are looking to me like an Audi and the curves and overall size of the 991 looks like a Aston Martin. 20’/21’ wheels look terrible and I hate center locks. Looking at the direction where they are going with the GT3 wing and that they seem to plan on keeping those awful warts on the Turbos front bumper makes me really start thinking about throwing in the towel with the brand.
Personally I may just switch to Lotus, the Elise S is what I am looking for in a sports car or something like the Alpine Berlinette, but these will probably not be available here so I will wait and see what the new Cayman will be like.
The 991 is the fastest and easiest to drive 911 ever but for me it’s has just gotten too large, fancy and I never asked for a car that practically drives itself. If the Boxster or Cayman had the same engine and if it were priced the same I take it over the 991 but that will never happen.

I can see why the 997 guys may feel that way for the small group that are hard core driving types. You know the guys who heel and toe, do their own rev matching and turn off all electronic nannies. But I believe the majority are not hardcore and the other opinions posted above are closer to the real reason.
I’ll admit the 991 is way better then what I have but in all truth I’d rather drop the engine in my car then own one and in fact that’s what I’d do if I were to be given one.