Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you guys are tracking your 991s ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 04:37 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Absolutely right. Tires do not get "greasy", that is a misnomer used by guys who haven't figured out this is what happens to all tires when they let the heat of hard use cause the tires to become over inflated. The best way of avoiding this is to check pressure immediately after each run and bleed out whatever it takes to get down to your ideal pressure, in your case 30.
My TPMS readout is the one I have active when I am running the track. It's within 1lb accuracy of my gauge. So I see my pressures rise as I drive. I can only start out so low to be safe and I come in when I reach my usable max and the car starts losing traction. I can easily gain 10-12lbs of pressure in a 20-30 minute run. I let air out all day between sessions. It's a balancing act. I also have a pyrometer to check temps and help monitor pressure and wear.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
Great, few last questions, does your car have SPASM? Or just the standard PASM?
I was under the impression that all PDCC cars were SPASM, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

EDIT: Just saw the reply. Learn something new every day.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by BradB
My TPMS readout is the one I have active when I am running the track. It's within 1lb accuracy of my gauge.
Is your TPMS higher than your gauge? I ask because I use a really accurate Motion Pro gauge and it is consistently 1-2lbs lower than my TPMS readings.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I had a Cayman I tracked before I bought the 991. The Cayman is a really great platform.
Did you have the X73 sport suspension, or the standard? I'm really on the fence about making the switch.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Is your TPMS higher than your gauge? I ask because I use a really accurate Motion Pro gauge and it is consistently 1-2lbs lower than my TPMS readings.
Yes, my TPMS reads 1-2lbs lower than my Longacre dial gauge. I'm just thrilled that's it's as close as it is. Makes it quite useful as the session goes on.

As for the Cayman, I had the stock PASM suspension.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:42 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 35 Posts

My car has the regular PASM. As much as I appreciate the track friendly SPASM, I didn't like the ride quality around my pothole infested town so I specifically ordered PASM. No regrets.

I like your idea about tire upsizing in the front. I did that when I was tracking an E46 M3 and it helped a lot. I may try that when these tires burn out. I need to investigate sizes and tire availability. I'll probably get new ones over the winter.

Are MPSC2 and NT01 tires capable of driving distances to and from the track? And are they ok in the rain? I don't have any experience with either tire brand. It's always a compromise when I can't dedicate a tire for track only use. What I buy has to do everything.
I assume you still have your stock wheels and tires no? If that's the case, MPSC2 are perfectly fine in rain (they are the stock tires for GT3 and Z06 after all, and those things are still need to drivable in rain), and you can switch back to your stock tires for street use and heavy rain use. NT01 is probably fine with light rain as well, but you need to watch out for standing water more than MPSC2 due to more aggressive tread design.

I think the standard 991 front fender has plenty of clearance up front for 255 and maybe 265 (GT3RS runs that size, but that car has a widebody fender) as well, given how stretch the 245 tires are on the wheels with stock width and offset. Just FYI, euro cars typically have plenty of tire-to-fender clearance since TUV requires them to be able to safely fit a set of snow chains.

But you should measure how much clearance do you have between the tire and fender well liners at full steering locks as well. I torn up the oil cooler on my E92 once running oversized front tires.

Hope that helps. And if you have any videos of the thing on track, please share. Non-GT3 991 track videos are surprisingly hard to come by for whatever reasons.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Yes, my TPMS reads 1-2lbs lower than my Longacre dial gauge. I'm just thrilled that's it's as close as it is. Makes it quite useful as the session goes on.

As for the Cayman, I had the stock PASM suspension.
Mine's the opposite, my gauge is lower than my TPMS and I trust my gauge more.

I have the base, non adjustable suspension in my Cayman S. Car handles great, but I've heard the X73 suspension really transforms the car.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I get to the track three to five times a year. Compared to my past cars the C2S is a rocket.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:05 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I took mine on the track for the 1st time a few months ago. A lot of fun and the car did exceptionally well
Old 08-06-2015, 03:12 PM
BradB
Drifting

I researched different tires to fit my 19" wheels and am disappointed that there is so little choice. The goal is to maintain as close as possible to the original rolling diameter and that is proving very difficult. I would love to get some Pilot Sport Cup 2's or similar but the sizes don't work out.

Does anyone know just exactly what variance of diameter is allowed?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1)going from MPSC2 to Trofeo R next, the needed stiffer coils for stickier tires are on the car now, and teh car sits lower than PASM as desired

2)went from PASM to home made SPASM using KW HAS kit (30% stuffer coils)and TPC bars, very happy at the track with it now; would LOVE a TPC 991S DSC next before trying out a JRZ setup on this car if that doesnt get me closer to what I want

3)running the Pagid rs29 pad and moving to girodisc next, braking is better with the pagids. no plans for a BBK

4) ordered monoballs from elephant racing, these will be nice on tarmac

5)running Tarrett 991 camber plates @ -2.7 front camber
Old 10-07-2015, 11:22 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gem Mookherjea
1)going from MPSC2 to Trofeo R next, the needed stiffer coils for stickier tires are on the car now, and teh car sits lower than PASM as desired

3)running the Pagid rs29 pad and moving to girodisc next, braking is better with the pagids. no plans for a BBK
You've done a lot!

What size wheels and tires are you running? I am finding tire sizes that work with OEM spec wheels limited.

What benefits do you anticipate with the Girodisc? I can't get over the cost.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Prob not track... Note enough $$ in the bank to risk it... But autoX, absolutely.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've done a lot!

What size wheels and tires are you running? I am finding tire sizes that work with OEM spec wheels limited.

What benefits do you anticipate with the Girodisc? I can't get over the cost.
I run open track days and like playing with vettes, prepped m3 and the like.

Tires are key, dont waste any time with OE wheels and tires. I went with some inexpensive OZ stuff of tirerack, but if your budget allows for forged, do it! For me, having considered 19s, and not all fitting,I simply stayed with 20s, and found three tires I like alot:
-MPSC2 for street and track, just not the sticky icky I need on track
-DUNLOP Sport Race Maxx for track with some street possible, also usable wet
-Trofeo R a trackday monster

great question: Girodiscs are simply a lighter larger rotor retaining oe calipers. The OE brakes get over their head on hard hard braking before chicanes, ABS engages sooner than I like; where my buddy in his z28 out brakes me with his ccb. I want to try and have better modulation with the brakes so upping rotor size makes sense; however there is nothing available from AP/Essex for the 991S; they only have gt3 stuff so far but talking with Jeff Ritter it IS in the pipeline

I forgot-
1- My car is not Sport Chrono, so I added a Tarret supplied Transmission mount that does increase the nvh slightly but after a few days even wife got used to it, it does keep the entire driveline from moving as much in fast transitions, see link below

2-i'm on Torque 700 brake fluid and also use ATE gold and SRF in my garage

3-I've ordered Elephant Racing monoballs (ask for Chuck) and am considering his FEA designed cnc lower rear links, and would steer clear of the Agency copycat part, btw.

http://www.function-first.com/products/991

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...che-991-a.html

http://www.tpcracing.com/cayman-boxs...uspension.html

http://www.rennsport-one.com/shop/pagid-rs-29-rear-991/
http://www.rennsport-one.com/shop/pagid-rs29-front-991/

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...xx-race-2.html

in retrospective reconsideration I would also consider the Elephant kit which can be ordered with stiffer coils than the KW setup right off the bat, however u may also find a preference for 70mm ID coils as per same height of coil spring there is more winding than on a 2.5ID coil and hence, sometimes a better ride quality on softer springs, I suspect.

I cannot emphasize enough how much the TPC sways were a boon, pricey but worth it, and just as critical is the alignment, dont skimp here; I went to EVOMS who uses a Beissbarth; the front camber is essential, as is rear toe on this chassis. Dont be stingy on either

Next mods:
GMG Seat base and atleast a drivers trackday seat
Old 10-07-2015, 05:39 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I took my car to the track and had a horrible experience. The car itself was even better than I expected, but I was extremely disappointed with how the whole event was run and the (almost non existent) instruction either on or off the track. After that I don't know if I'll ever take my own car on the track again.

If you're planning on keeping the car for many years is taking it on the track once a year going to beat it up? Also will it wear out your brake and tires? How much should you expect to spend each time you go to the track?

Quick Reply: How many of you guys are tracking your 991s ?