Sponsored by:

My first DE @ Thunder Hill

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking My first DE @ Thunder Hill

I have attended PCA-GGR's 2-day DE and time trial event this past weekend at Thunder Hill, and it was a blast. Drove my 991 C2S cab stock, put her in Sports+, and just go. Since this is my first DE ever, I was quite nervous, but the instructors helped me out tremendously.

My first two sessions in the morning was spent learning the course and the line, and I was quite nervous because every corner seemed to appear unexpectedly. Initially I was driving with a tunnel vision because of information overload, could not tell where to start braking, where to turn in, apex, and exit, even though I have walked the course the night before.

My two afternoon sessions were better, after I have some time to digest the knowledge. I kept studying the course map and corner analysis in the book given to each student, and tried to visualize each corner in my mind. I started to hit some corners well, and everything started to gel and I did pretty well on the third lap of my fourth session, even my instructor told me that I've hit all the apex. Atlas, I got a bit over confident and took an apex early on turn 2, and ran out of track on the exit, put passenger-side wheels on the dirt. Fortunately I did not spin out, probably due to the Porsche Traction Management, and was able to get back on track.

But I still got black flagged and had to come in. The staff inspected my car and found no damage, and I was asked what went wrong, and I told them I have turned in too early. Since it was almost end of the session, I went in.

I decided to sign up for the second day because I felt that I have now learned the whole course, and could use more seat time to build up my muscle memory. I would throw away my effort if I have gone home!

So next morning I did two more sessions with an instructor, and was certified to drive alone in the afternoon for practice sessions and time trial. I rented a transponder and put down an estimated slow lap time, 2:45, so I could start last and not worry about cars behind me. I thought I did well, and I almost caught up with the 996 in front of me. Overall, my best lap time is 2:32. I know I've left plenty of speed on the table since I was not braking hard enough and probably was driving at 6-7/10. The fastest car is the cup car, then the Ferrari Challenge, then the blue GT3, all under 2:00.

My instructors' general impression of my car (they have driven a few laps to show me the line, not pushing too hard of course) is that the 991 is very stable, has lots of grip, and PDK shifted like a pro.

I was really satisfied by the performance of the car, and knew that I have not taken advantage of all the capabilities she has to offer. I've seen two 996 driven by beginners like me spun out, and was glad that I don't have to worry about it in the 991, being more user-friendly.

I am looking forward to PCA-GGR's second event at Laguna Seca in November, it should be a blast. I plan to flush the brake fluid and replace it with ATE Blue, for safety pre-caution. I am also thinking of getting a set of 19" track wheels, probably with Michelin PSS, so I don't wear out my expensive 20" Pirelli OEM tires prematurely. 19" PSS are also cheaper than 20" ones, and lighter too.

I hope I don't go down the slippery slope,

I would encourage people to give DE a try, because not only it is a lot a fun, but also it teaches you how to drive the car. Powering out of a corner in the 911 is such a sweet feeling, and you really can't do it like this on the public road.

Here's some pictures at the event below. The blue GT3 is my friend's, and although he would lose to the Ferrari Challenge on the straight, he would catch up in the corners.
Attached Images       
Old 09-11-2012, 11:28 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Oh, by the way, my car is now officially broken in.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, I broke my 2012 CS2 in the same way. I have three track days and 2,400 miles, including one day ay Thunderhill. I don't claim to be a great driver but was running 2:12 to 2-14s with the stock car and tires. Best time was a 2:11 and I am pretty sure I can get closer to 2:08 once I know the car better.

I bet you will be in the low 2:20s next time out. I really liked your pics btw.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear you made the effort and enjoyed yourself! We were there Monday, and a few of the guys stayed over from the weekend. I didn't have a car, merely there for support on a friend's 911 race car.

Funny to hear your impression of information overload. I hadn't driven the track in a year, and it was the first time in a long, long time that I kind of was "out there." So I hear what you're saying. But the memory comes back. A first session 2:02 turned into a 1:53 two sessions, and 6 laps at speed later.

To throw a carrot out there for you--I'll guess a 991, 100% stock with decent street tires, is a 2:03-2:04 car. Not that you want to get in over your head, just saying that's where we are with something you can buy off the showroom and drive.

And don't be quick to desire driving solo. Lots of experienced guys out there willing to help!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:27 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I think you are already happily on the slippery slope. Take every advantage of the PCA instructors to learn to slalom, be safe above all else and ENJOY THE RIDE!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely seek out instructors whenever I can since I have so much to learn. Thunderhill is pretty fun, and I am actually thinking of signing up the Hook on Driving at Thunderhill 2 weeks from now. Yah, I definitely left a lot of speed on the table, so I need to improve my braking and turn-in.

The next PCA-GGR is at Laguna Seca, and from what I've read, it's a very technical track, plus the walls are closer, not as friendly as Thunderhill's vast amount of empty field.

By the way, if I get a set of 19" wheels, the tire size goes from 245/35/20->245/40/19, and rear 295/30/20 ->295/35/19, would I feel more tire wall flexing under side load? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 PM
skim
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

dang i think 2:32 time for a 2nd day of DE ever is pretty good..
enjoy motoring!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Thanks for the feedback! I definitely seek out instructors whenever I can since I have so much to learn. Thunderhill is pretty fun, and I am actually thinking of signing up the Hook on Driving at Thunderhill 2 weeks from now. Yah, I definitely left a lot of speed on the table, so I need to improve my braking and turn-in.

The next PCA-GGR is at Laguna Seca, and from what I've read, it's a very technical track, plus the walls are closer, not as friendly as Thunderhill's vast amount of empty field.

By the way, if I get a set of 19" wheels, the tire size goes from 245/35/20->245/40/19, and rear 295/30/20 ->295/35/19, would I feel more tire wall flexing under side load? Thanks.
I doubt that you will feel any tire wall flexing. I think that any that occurs would be within the variance relating to air pressure and the particulars of the tire brand construction, rather than the difference between 19s and 20s.

Moreover, you are at the bottom rung of a learning curve, so most of the improvements in lap times is far more likely due to improving skill than marginal changes in tires- for longer than you might expect unless you are quite exceptionally skilled.

Lighter wheels, lowering the car mass with shorter springs (even 10 mm as in SPASM), and a track oriented alignment are the most significant performance improvements that you can make at reasonable cost to a 991.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Thanks for the advice, chuckbdc, I really appreciate it. One more question, people have recommended that the hot tire pressure should not exceed 32psi in the front, and 34 in the rear. I took measurement right after a session and would bleed the tires to match these. Does this sound ok to you?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:18 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by skim
dang i think 2:32 time for a 2nd day of DE ever is pretty good..
enjoy motoring!
Thanks! Although I think it's due to the car's excellent capability than my driving skills...
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by John's 991
Lol, I broke my 2012 CS2 in the same way. I have three track days and 2,400 miles, including one day ay Thunderhill. I don't claim to be a great driver but was running 2:12 to 2-14s with the stock car and tires. Best time was a 2:11 and I am pretty sure I can get closer to 2:08 once I know the car better.

I bet you will be in the low 2:20s next time out. I really liked your pics btw.
Thanks! 2:20s will be my goal the next time I go to Thunderhill. The pictures do not capture all the cars there, but it was fun walking around the paddock.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by race911
Glad to hear you made the effort and enjoyed yourself! We were there Monday, and a few of the guys stayed over from the weekend. I didn't have a car, merely there for support on a friend's 911 race car.

Funny to hear your impression of information overload. I hadn't driven the track in a year, and it was the first time in a long, long time that I kind of was "out there." So I hear what you're saying. But the memory comes back. A first session 2:02 turned into a 1:53 two sessions, and 6 laps at speed later.

To throw a carrot out there for you--I'll guess a 991, 100% stock with decent street tires, is a 2:03-2:04 car. Not that you want to get in over your head, just saying that's where we are with something you can buy off the showroom and drive.

And don't be quick to desire driving solo. Lots of experienced guys out there willing to help!
Wow, 1:53 is fast, and it's also the time the GT3 cup got at the time trial in our event.

Much appreciate your advice on the car's capability and more instructions.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Thanks for the advice, chuckbdc, I really appreciate it. One more question, people have recommended that the hot tire pressure should not exceed 32psi in the front, and 34 in the rear. I took measurement right after a session and would bleed the tires to match these. Does this sound ok to you?
What you heard sounds right as a general principle and especially as you got that advice from folks who are tracking similar setups.

I have had tires on track cars that varied all over the place in terms of best performing pressures and temperatures. Street tires seem to have a point at which performance falls off very sharply (eg they get sloppy). If you get to that point, come in immediately and lower the pressures a few lbs and head back out.

After a few times you will be the one giving solid recommendations.

Quick Reply: My first DE @ Thunder Hill