Sponsored by:

where to get factory service manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to get factory service manual

when I bought my car, the dealer agreed to supply a factory service manual as part of the deal, now they are attempting to tell me that the manual is not available - this is of course impossible - so, where can I get one, at any price - I'll point the dealer to that source and demand that they supply a manual. any ideas?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:12 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 199 Posts

...the dealer knows where to get it....they can get it from P O R S C H E. Make sure to spell it for them just in case. i hope they wrote down that promise, if so, photocopy it and hand it to them with the promise circled.

by the way, they have one it's in their Service Department....
Old 09-11-2012, 10:50 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all online by subscription. Check out PIWIS TSI
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
It's all online by subscription. Check out PIWIS TSI
https://techinfo2.porsche.com/PAGInf...ssCond&lk=ELSE

so, I've been studying the PWIS TSI web site, and I must say it's rather confusing - if i understand it correctly, it lets you view the docs on line and print individual pages - I guess I could make an account and see what's there, I must be one of those authorized companies - it says

Only companies indirectly or directly involved in the maintenance and repair of Porsche standard-production vehicles as per the list published by Porsche on its website and acting as independent participants in the market in the sense of Art. 4 Para. 2 Subparagraph 4 of the REGULATION (EC) No. 1400/2002 OF THE COMMISSION of July 31, 2002 relating to the application of Art. 81 Para. 3 of the contract to groups of vertical agreements and concerted practices in the automotive sector shall be authorised.
2.2 The orderer shall assure that it is an authorised company. The orderer shall inform Porsche immediately should it cease to be an authorised company.
2.3 Other companies or consumers shall be excluded from access.

however, the language in this restriction is rather odd - a one year subscription is 5,000 euros, and there are "money based subscriptions" -

perhaps you can help advise what the site actually provides and what one needs to download to have the correct stuff - thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 AM
MB 911
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

To download and view is easy but to print or save is a problem. The pages do not print with the diagrams or photos and the same is true if you save the files.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:51 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you plan on keeping the car long enough to necessitate repairing it yourself?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I signed up and put $10 in my account. I was able to download and print a few pages. You really have to know your way around. Considering I paid about $600 for my 996 manual I think I could find any info I might need for a lot less. I have a 2012 997 so there are manuals online for free for everything but engine and PDK. Maybe by the time I need anything that info will be out there too.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcar964
Do you plan on keeping the car long enough to necessitate repairing it yourself?
yes, I do. Certainly things like oil changes, plugs, brakes - I hope to not encounter SAI faults or things like that such as bedeviled me with my 993. I bought my 993 with less than 6,000 miles on it in 2000, and had it until August of this year when it was stolen. I drove my 944 from 85 until 2000, and my 356A from 72 to 85 - so yes, I keep cars (and I still have the A and the 944, though maybe it's time for the 944 to find a new home). There is a hopefully amusing article about a strange problem with the 944 on my web page (wbnoble.com) under "articles I wrote".

It certainly looks like the 991 is a LOT easier to work on than the 993 - at least you don't have to be a contortionist to get the stupid sheet metal off to change the plugs (after removing mufflers and stuff).
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

has anyone discovered what the 'subscription A, B, C' packages mean? I can see the different prices, but what do you get that is different? just more money in the account or is there some other benefit? I've been unable to find any explanation on the site.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:15 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
It certainly looks like the 991 is a LOT easier to work on than the 993 - at least you don't have to be a contortionist to get the stupid sheet metal off to change the plugs (after removing mufflers and stuff).
Certainly you're joking, right?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Certainly you're joking, right?
no, it really does require all that stuff on a 993 - on the 991 it looks like once you remove the fan panel and the rear bumper accessibility is actually pretty good - but until I can get a "real" manual, that's speculation.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

no, it really does require all that stuff on a 993 - on the 991 it looks like once you remove the fan panel and the rear bumper accessibility is actually pretty good - but until I can get a "real" manual, that's speculation.
I think you're in for a surprise. For instance, it's necessary to remove the rear bumper just to replace the air filter
Old 09-19-2012, 05:43 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

I think you're in for a surprise. For instance, it's necessary to remove the rear bumper just to replace the air filter
not a surprise. Removing the bumper in 1/2 hour is a lot easier than removing inner fender panel, sill plate, bottom cover, two tail pipes, two mufflers, two muffler brackets, two sets of sheet metal just to get to plugs every 30K miles. the air filter needs changing every 40 K miles. removing bupmper shell doesn't require a creeper and 3 hours spent under the car struggling with hidden bolts.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Agreed, bumper removal is not a big issue. 1/2 hour if you work slowly (i.e. you get paid by the hour ). It's pretty fast otherwise and gives good access. 991 is an improvement when it comes to DIY. I hope there will be sufficient documentation available over time so typical DIY jobs are known. It helps if you know what to do before you go and do it.

Rainier

not a surprise. Removing the bumper in 1/2 hour is a lot easier than removing inner fender panel, sill plate, bottom cover, two tail pipes, two mufflers, two muffler brackets, two sets of sheet metal just to get to plugs every 30K miles. the air filter needs changing every 40 K miles. removing bupmper shell doesn't require a creeper and 3 hours spent under the car struggling with hidden bolts.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 PM
mhariush
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The different Subscription packages is just the amount you want to load into your account. And the money will go fast... if you want to print a full set of manuals it will surely run in the several hundreds. Each document in the repair group is 1.50 euro and there's hundreds of them... sigh.

Quick Reply: where to get factory service manual