iPhone Integration

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Bob Dibble
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone Integration

Just picked up a new 991 with PCM 3.1

I have an iPhone 4 that plays music from an alternative to itunes; spotify, rhapsody, pandora, etc..

I should have two options: Bluetooth Audio and iPod connector, however, neither works 100%.

Here are my issues:

Bluetooth Audio

It takes 60+ seconds for the car to find the phone. It sometimes (rarely) has a few seconds where the sound has quality problems. It sometimes (rarely) won't next song. Today for the first time it didn't find the bluetooth audio at all. It did find the bluetooth phone.

iPod Connector: The next button on the car stereo starts the itunes music and does that song rather than staying with Spotify or Pandora. The next works in bluetooth audio. I am thinking about having a permanent phone in the car so this isn't an issue for me, but I can only get sound out if I disable bluetooth on the phone.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get bullet proof sound from Spotify/Pandora/Rhapsody? I saw someone mention Music Controls Pro and jailbreaking their phone to solve a similar problem with BMW's. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can run the iphone in through AUX... Not pretty but it'll get the job done.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 448 Likes on 198 Posts

Perhaps you should contact the dealer. When my IPhone connects using AuxBluetooth or Aux it's flawless.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Bob Dibble
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Perhaps you should contact the dealer. When my IPhone connects using AuxBluetooth or Aux it's flawless.
If you hook up the iPhone to the ipod connector and play (pandora, rhapsody, spotify) and hit next on the STEREO console, does it go to the next song?

This is what it should do, but I have tried multiple phones and it doesn't work for me. In AuxBluetooth the next on the stereo works fine for pandora, rhapsody, spotify, etc.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Works well in my car off iPhone, gPhone or iPad. Biggest problem is once you have one type of connection (through the plug in the glovebox or the AUX jack) you have to either turn off bluetooth or expect it to switch over to bluetooth, which seems a little random to me, but no matter.)

There's also a bluetooth audio version issue because bluetooth audio off the MacBook doesn't work as well -- seems to be low-fi of some sort, so I gave up on the MBP, and the iPad is the driver distraction of choice ... paired to a 4G MiFi hotspot from Verizon, it makes the PCM a dinosaur for audio, or nav, let alone email, Web, videos, movies, facetime, google+ ... Porsche should just put a generic smart dock in the dash ...)

Also, if you're wanting to have hands-on to an iOS device, there are dock cable extender cables (in white or black ... try to choose one with a thin cable, I bought one that came with a heavy cable that doesn't flex and it's a pain as well as being too thick to snake out of the glovebox.)
Old 09-07-2012, 02:32 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

connect bluetooth

activate bluetooth aux

turn on pandora/etc

will play thru car
Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
connect bluetooth

activate bluetooth aux

turn on pandora/etc

will play thru car
I think that's right. The only thing being, if you want to charge the iOS device from the car's USB port, it can be a little random as to whether it starts the music/video playback or tries to go to bluetooth as an audio source.

Also, now that I think of it, my car has a peculiar way of reverting to AM/FM radio when it loses the external audio source.

ps. has anyone found a really good iPhone mount for the 991? : )
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

ps. has anyone found a really good iPhone mount for the 991? : )
I have, as discussed below. First, wrt the OP's iPhone issues. I have a similar problem with listening to podcasts. PCM controls work fine through the AUX option, IF all I want to do is advance to the next podcast in the already chosen category, eg, Planet Money. OTOH, if I want to change to a different podcast, I need to use Bluetooth connectivity, and access the phone itself, necessitating a mount and cradle as Carrara GT inquires about above. Obviuosly, there are many other reasons why one might want access to the phone while driving.

I use Proclip h/w in all of my other cars, and in the case of the 21 yo NSX, I designed and installed a modified Proclip cradle to integrate GPS, Bluetooth, and Iphone fcns through the OEM sound system.

Back to the 991. Here's the mount you will find for our cars on the Proclip site...

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-veh...-991/2013.aspx

A Proclip rep admits that this mounting position may interfere with legroom for a tall driver like myself. I suggested that they provide a mirror image mount for the other side of he center console, to which he responded with...

http://www.proclipusa.com/store/prod...nt-634773.aspx

...made for RHD cars. Note the out-of-country admonition

In either case, you will also need a cradle. Many choices are available depending on which phone, case, hardwire, power only, etc, etc. For example...

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-dev...th-a-case.aspx

My mount (634773) and cradle (527165) arrived yesterday, so now I need to decide whether I want to hardwire myself, or go with someone who knows how to access a switched power line. Physical installation is trivial.

Next up is V1 hardwire and install. Blendmount estimates that they'll have their 991 rearview mirror stalk mount available w/in two mos. Guess I'll have to go with the despised suction cups while waiting.

Spyder
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TSpyder
I have, as discussed below. First, wrt the OP's iPhone issues. I have a similar problem with listening to podcasts. PCM controls work fine through the AUX option, IF all I want to do is advance to the next podcast in the already chosen category, eg, Planet Money. OTOH, if I want to change to a different podcast, I need to use Bluetooth connectivity, and access the phone itself, necessitating a mount and cradle as Carrara GT inquires about above. Obviuosly, there are many other reasons why one might want access to the phone while driving.

I use Proclip h/w in all of my other cars, and in the case of the 21 yo NSX, I designed and installed a modified Proclip cradle to integrate GPS, Bluetooth, and Iphone fcns through the OEM sound system.

Back to the 991. Here's the mount you will find for our cars on the Proclip site...

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-veh...-991/2013.aspx

A Proclip rep admits that this mounting position may interfere with legroom for a tall driver like myself. I suggested that they provide a mirror image mount for the other side of he center console, to which he responded with...

http://www.proclipusa.com/store/prod...nt-634773.aspx

...made for RHD cars. Note the out-of-country admonition

In either case, you will also need a cradle. Many choices are available depending on which phone, case, hardwire, power only, etc, etc. For example...

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-dev...th-a-case.aspx

My mount (634773) and cradle (527165) arrived yesterday, so now I need to decide whether I want to hardwire myself, or go with someone who knows how to access a switched power line. Physical installation is trivial.

Next up is V1 hardwire and install. Blendmount estimates that they'll have their 991 rearview mirror stalk mount available w/in two mos. Guess I'll have to go with the despised suction cups while waiting.

Spyder
Thanks! Great info. As for Blendmount, they said "real soon now" six months ago and put me initially on the notification list for another vehicle and proudly told me my wait was over and I could order the unit by clicking "here" ... it took me a second to double check and realize they had somehow decided I enquired about a BMW mount. Grumble. Anyway, looking at their stuff, it's a simple job to DIY a clip and then screw it onto the existing V1 slide-on suction cup clip (sans suction cups.) It's on my to-do list (again, for about six months ... : )

Thanks for the point to proclip -- the mount looks just right, but the holder/cradle for the iPhone seems bulky . I did notice the RHD/LHD issue. I assume it's not a problem -- is there a way on the site to order it or was it a matter of calling in?

I definitely want something that raises the iPhone up to a height that puts it in peripheral view, but below "prying eyes" so to speak. I was thinking of hacking a mic stand with a flexible neck.

I'd just been googling the Harry's LapTimer site since he recommends various GPS brackets. I'll wait to see if the iPhone 5 can replace my gPhone (Galaxy Nexus) which I doubt, but I have an AT&T plane on an iPhone 4 and the gPhone display isn't bright enough when I'm on track with helmet and sun glare. Nor is the iPhone 4, for that matter.

Somebody needs to invent a fresnel lens for cell phones ... like those old "GIANT TV" lenses for the 70's ... : ) ... I remember seeing one that "converts black and white to color!" (it had a blue tint across the top, fading to white in the middle and dark across the bottom ... marvelous technology in those days ...
Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

There maybe a prob ordering the mount off the Proclip site due to the RHD warning. Dunno since I actually called in the order. If you don't have a case on your iPhone, or are willing to forgo it, you can order the significantly less bulky non-adjustable holders. Other solutions I considered include bendable stalk mounts with iPhone holders at one end, and a lighter plug at the other. They plug into a lighter, so might work well with the "smoker's pkg". Ultimately, I went with what has worked well for me in all my cars for the last 10 yrs, the Proclip.

Disappointing about the Blendmount wait. It really is the best solution for the V1 b/c it allows the unit to look forward and backward w/o pesky suction cups.

Spyder
Old 02-03-2022, 09:00 AM
TEF
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

My '13 BS came with the basic BOSE sound system (no GPS, satellite radio or usb input), so I installed an ancient Sirius receiver in glove box that connects to AUX port. Luckily, the glove box has power. Placed Sirius antenna under trim between roll bar hoops and managed to conceal cable along passenger side into glove box. The Sirius receiver is very small so it takes only a little space (4"x 2.5" x 1"). Also Sirius offers a variety of programming, that (for me) is preferable to pre-loaded music.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:00 PM
Nikobimmer
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

A 2010 iPhone 4? What Bluetooth module does that have? Likely culprit for any connectivity issues.

Quick Reply: iPhone Integration