Sponsored by:

2013 Porsche 911.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 01:37 AM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2013 Porsche 911.

I just purchased my first Porsche. (The 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S is on order and I expect to see it sometime in October.)

I've always been a sports car guy, and I've always wanted a Porsche. I used to own a Lotus, and I owned Alfa Romero. I owned a second-generation Mazda RX-7 for the longest time, and I loved it. And although I always wanted a Porsche, I was always finding excuses why I shouldn't get one. I just couldn't see why spending that kind money made any sense, for example. But now I have thrown that kind of "common sense" to the wind, and the car is on the way.

So I thought I would start out by introducing myself.

I also have a couple of minor questions (Something to do while I am waiting for my car to arrive.). First of all, the keyless remote. How keyless is it? By that I mean, I understand the keychain can be left in my pocket to enter the car, but do I then have to insert it into the ignition to start the car? I currently also own a Mercedes-Benz sedan with keyless entry, and all I have to do is push a button on the dashboard to start the car after entry. It's really nice. I understand the 911 does not have a push button start, but is there some other way of starting the car without physically inserting the key?

Further, and again comparing it to the Mercedes-Benz, on my Mercedes I can lock the brake when sitting at intersections and then take my foot off the brake. I understand the 911 does temporarily lock the brakes when taking off from a hill, for example. However, does it only lock them for a moment, or does it work more like the Mercedes and lock them until I step on the gas again?

I'm sure I will not be disappointed with the performance. Since I was not familiar with Porsche, and I was not familiar with what extras I should be getting, I pretty much got them all. It's just these silly little minor things that comes to mind as I sit waiting for delivery.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:34 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhyde
First of all, the keyless remote. How keyless is it?
There's a plastic "key" that remains in the ignition. It will start the car when the keyless fob is in range. It can be removed to use a real key. There's a photo here someone of someone painting it red.

Further, and again comparing it to the Mercedes-Benz, on my Mercedes I can lock the brake when sitting at intersections and then take my foot off the brake. I understand the 911 does temporarily lock the brakes when taking off from a hill, for example. However, does it only lock them for a moment, or does it work more like the Mercedes and lock them until I step on the gas again?
When you brake to a halt uphill or downhill in forward or reverse, the car will hold itself in place and a green "hold" will appear on the speedo. If you release the brake, you have a limited time, a matter of three or five seconds, to use the accelerator or the "hold" will gradually release. There's also the electric parking brake which will actually hold the car indefinitely until you release it or you apply enough throttle position for the car to move away and then the parking brake will release.

There are other scenarios. If the engine stop-start stops the engine, then you do something like open the door while in drive, it will get upset and keep the car in place and bring up an elaborate "restart manually" message. I haven't investigated every scenario, but basically once you open the driver door, the car is pretty upset with you ...

I'm sure I will not be disappointed with the performance. Since I was not familiar with Porsche, and I was not familiar with what extras I should be getting, I pretty much got them all. It's just these silly little minor things that comes to mind as I sit waiting for delivery.

Thanks in advance.
You have come to the right place for silly little minor things! : ) My pet peeve is the absence of driver seat and mirror memory as standard -- it's a pay-for-it option. Since you have keyless, I'm pretty sure you'll have "driver memory" but worth checking if you didn't get the luxury pack or whatever. Some owners debate the performance options more than the luxury, comfort and convenience stuff. If you're considering different wheels or track days, PDCC or Sport PASM, there's a wealth of dialog here from people with those options. Since your car is October build, you'll probably want to read here about when your order will likely freeze, about late availability options, the threads of "exclusiv" options, how long from build complete to boat to port to dealer as the clock runs down, etc.

Welcome!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:53 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just couldn't see why spending that kind money made any sense, for example. But now I have thrown that kind of "common sense" to the wind, and the car is on the way.
Perfect. That is the ONLY way any reasonable person brings himself to buy one . Congratulations...
Old 09-03-2012, 06:09 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will love your car. There are no ways, really, to measure these attributes, just as you can't numerically represent your lover. If you love what a 911 is, you won't satisfy that itch elsewhere.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
You will love your car. There are no ways, really, to measure these attributes, just as you can't numerically represent your lover. If you love what a 911 is, you won't satisfy that itch elsewhere.
^This^
Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 AM
peewee72
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i had to think long and hard before buying my first porsche; around 10 years.....
and in the end passion prevailed over logic.

Live life while it lasts........

Quick Reply: 2013 Porsche 911.