Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As the world turns.... the life of a 991..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:41 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool As the world turns.... the life of a 991..

many people notice/comment on my indecisiveness (ADHD) w/ car's... but honestly considering my occupation and vast down time I thoroughly enjoy the "game" of cars... the most fun is the hunt of course and then the negotiation...

i've been down this road (with better results) a few times.. and encourage others to do the same (but I understand to some their time is more valuable than the money saved/thrill of the hunt).

The 997.1 was my first attempt with a small loss, 997.2 i broke even after 18 months, both my new 958 cayenne's were big profits (probably still could be bought/sold @ profit with their high demand(i think the diesel would be the way to go)).. but the 991 was surely a risk because of it being brand new and the 911's lately have been depreciating quickly because of the market being somewhat flooded with vehicles... luckily for me I noticed all the dealer cars were 111k/115k and higher and Base models still above 100k... so i was very picky on the options and ordered a 88k sticker vehicle and ended up paying 82k OTD for it after TTT... the downside was the base 991 not even starting production until late march and deliveries starting early May... (thought they would be out same time as 991S)

@ inception:

Upon delivery I loved the looks of the vehicle but here and there there were some irritants.. I planned on keeping the vehicle 6 months like usual but sadly my ADHD kicked in sooner than I had hoped...

@ Delivery:

After 3 months I ended up selling the vehicle to a big dealer for the same 82k (and made sure to mention the changes i made to said vehicle)

ironically they chose not to list any of the "modifications" or "flaws" that I made note to them of..(H&R sport springs, Sport PASM front lip, Gundo Hack Exhaust (only add's burbles and pops, car needs center bypass+Gundo hack like 997.2 for real sound change,wheel sapcers, dented headers).. and it's for sale again:

@ it's departure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012-...#ht_500wt_1182

two notes about the 2012 991:

A: when selling a 2012 carrera 991... every system classifies it as 997 (autotrader/cars.com/OVE auction site/etc)... this really bothered me as it was difficult to show off the cheap price because it blended in with the 1000 2012 997.2's on the market... and didn't show up as the cheapest 991 on the market.

B: when plugging the vin into the computer for the dealer to do the paperwork it comes up as a 997.2 "Black Edition"... which suggests why the above car sites put it in with the 997.2 but I still dont get how the vin decodes as a 997.2 (still dont understand why 991 was ever 2012/2013, when it should have just been a 2013 from the get go like the new 2011 cayenne when it came out (january 2010).

showing the 997.2 decode on the vin, their system put up 997.2 pics:
http://www.alliancenissan.com/used-O...AA2A98CS106358

I understand that most do not have the time to over analyze car purchases like I do.. but if i had to make some suggestions to get in and out of cars with the least amount of loss.. I would say:

A: don't trade in previous vehicle (sell your car privately and have the dealer you have negotiated new purchase with broker the sale for a fee (get extra on your car and still get sales tax savings (in applicable states))

B: don't let extra badges on the back sell you on a more expensive model (end of the day the car is the car... unless you feel the 50hp/other extra's are personally worth it)

C: don't let a dealer tell you what options are "must haves", they get a higher profit margin on options and will sell you on the moon (options do not add to resale regardless what they say), yes some options will add to desirability but a lower price will be admired by more. choose the options you "NEED" and order the car for YOU.

D: dont worry about miles, DRIVE THE CAR!... biggest pet peeve of mine are people that leave the car in the garage because "i dont want to add miles to it".... even in the case of ferrari's and other exotics.. DRIVE EM... my car had almost 7k miles in 3 months and i found a buyer at exactly what i paid.... the Cayenne's had more miles and sold for profits... at the end of the day, all of the dealer cars are >100k and as long as your car is cheaper than theirs, it will sell because people won't want to wait 6 months for a car to arrive when they can buy yours now.

E: dont buy the add on packages/warranties/services/maintenance/etc.

F: hopefully that helps someone... my biggest pet peeve in the world are car dealers and I will do whatever it takes to not have someone taken advantage of... I once sat down and took the "trade in numbers" i was told at local dealers and calculated it against what I got for each car sold privately and the number was astronomical!... astronomical as in it would have fully paid for the 991!!!!.. these dealers are getting away with murder simply because we are lazy/spontaneous/impatient.

-Riley

btw: I thoroughly enjoy this forum and the members here, will definitely stay around in the mean time (and be back in the 991 world when the PDK GT3 comes out!!! (Cant wait for PDK+GT Car... I have a feeling the PDK programming will be amazing!)
Old 08-26-2012, 11:49 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Btw, anyone w/ 991 that needs the following (Free, just pay for shipping) let me know:

A: 991 "Base" Exhaust Tips (the sexy "ovals")

B: 991 Full set of OEM Black lug bolts (full set w/ locks and key) (just need to give me a few days to find the key)

C: brand new front lip for non Sport PASM vehicle (fit's all vehicles.. the lip is not the aggressive sport pasm one however)

also if you need help on:

removing "warning stickers" from the visors.. or my experience on modding the exhaust/susp on 991.. or ordering options (learned many things about "smooth leather" and "mirror down on reverse", and other quirky options you have to order to get things you thought were standard....let me know..
Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riley-you are cool mate! You sincerely have tried to and continue to help others here. That is very rare. I don't care if you own a Porsche or not (for the next 90 days), you should always be on this board. Cheers.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:10 AM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks for the advice on buying and selling appreciate the thoughtful tips! Good luck with the new ride! Hope you come back to Porsche again!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 AM
c4-toy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rijowysock
Btw, anyone w/ 991 that needs the following (Free, just pay for shipping) let me know:

A: 991 "Base" Exhaust Tips (the sexy "ovals")

B: 991 Full set of OEM Black lug bolts (full set w/ locks and key) (just need to give me a few days to find the key)

C: brand new front lip for non Sport PASM vehicle (fit's all vehicles.. the lip is not the aggressive sport pasm one however)

also if you need help on:

removing "warning stickers" from the visors.. or my experience on modding the exhaust/susp on 991.. or ordering options (learned many things about "smooth leather" and "mirror down on reverse", and other quirky options you have to order to get things you thought were standard....let me know..

Would love those base ovals to replace on my base as I would send them out to get them highly polished. Drop me an email if still available plz. -joe 2013 base MT 991
Old 08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Great post and insight - thank you!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 AM
kbalch
Advanced

I'd love to get the locking lug bolts. PM for my details. Thanks!

All of this would make for a great reference post/sticky...

Ken
Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 AM
skinzy
Instructor

many people notice/comment on my indecisiveness (ADHD) w/ car's... but honestly considering my occupation and vast down time I thoroughly enjoy the "game" of cars... the most fun is the hunt of course and then the negotiation...

i've been down this road (with better results) a few times.. and encourage others to do the same (but I understand to some their time is more valuable than the money saved/thrill of the hunt).

The 997.1 was my first attempt with a small loss, 997.2 i broke even after 18 months, both my new 958 cayenne's were big profits (probably still could be bought/sold @ profit with their high demand(i think the diesel would be the way to go)).. but the 991 was surely a risk because of it being brand new and the 911's lately have been depreciating quickly because of the market being somewhat flooded with vehicles... luckily for me I noticed all the dealer cars were 111k/115k and higher and Base models still above 100k... so i was very picky on the options and ordered a 88k sticker vehicle and ended up paying 82k OTD for it after TTT... the downside was the base 991 not even starting production until late march and deliveries starting early May... (thought they would be out same time as 991S)

@ inception:

Upon delivery I loved the looks of the vehicle but here and there there were some irritants.. I planned on keeping the vehicle 6 months like usual but sadly my ADHD kicked in sooner than I had hoped...

@ Delivery:

After 3 months I ended up selling the vehicle to a big dealer for the same 82k (and made sure to mention the changes i made to said vehicle)

ironically they chose not to list any of the "modifications" or "flaws" that I made note to them of..(H&R sport springs, Sport PASM front lip, Gundo Hack Exhaust (only add's burbles and pops, car needs center bypass+Gundo hack like 997.2 for real sound change,wheel sapcers, dented headers).. and it's for sale again:

@ it's departure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012-...#ht_500wt_1182

two notes about the 2012 991:

A: when selling a 2012 carrera 991... every system classifies it as 997 (autotrader/cars.com/OVE auction site/etc)... this really bothered me as it was difficult to show off the cheap price because it blended in with the 1000 2012 997.2's on the market... and didn't show up as the cheapest 991 on the market.

B: when plugging the vin into the computer for the dealer to do the paperwork it comes up as a 997.2 "Black Edition"... which suggests why the above car sites put it in with the 997.2 but I still dont get how the vin decodes as a 997.2 (still dont understand why 991 was ever 2012/2013, when it should have just been a 2013 from the get go like the new 2011 cayenne when it came out (january 2010).

showing the 997.2 decode on the vin, their system put up 997.2 pics:
http://www.alliancenissan.com/used-O...AA2A98CS106358

I understand that most do not have the time to over analyze car purchases like I do.. but if i had to make some suggestions to get in and out of cars with the least amount of loss.. I would say:

A: don't trade in previous vehicle (sell your car privately and have the dealer you have negotiated new purchase with broker the sale for a fee (get extra on your car and still get sales tax savings (in applicable states))

B: don't let extra badges on the back sell you on a more expensive model (end of the day the car is the car... unless you feel the 50hp/other extra's are personally worth it)

C: don't let a dealer tell you what options are "must haves", they get a higher profit margin on options and will sell you on the moon (options do not add to resale regardless what they say), yes some options will add to desirability but a lower price will be admired by more. choose the options you "NEED" and order the car for YOU.

D: dont worry about miles, DRIVE THE CAR!... biggest pet peeve of mine are people that leave the car in the garage because "i dont want to add miles to it".... even in the case of ferrari's and other exotics.. DRIVE EM... my car had almost 7k miles in 3 months and i found a buyer at exactly what i paid.... the Cayenne's had more miles and sold for profits... at the end of the day, all of the dealer cars are >100k and as long as your car is cheaper than theirs, it will sell because people won't want to wait 6 months for a car to arrive when they can buy yours now.

E: dont buy the add on packages/warranties/services/maintenance/etc.

F: hopefully that helps someone... my biggest pet peeve in the world are car dealers and I will do whatever it takes to not have someone taken advantage of... I once sat down and took the "trade in numbers" i was told at local dealers and calculated it against what I got for each car sold privately and the number was astronomical!... astronomical as in it would have fully paid for the 991!!!!.. these dealers are getting away with murder simply because we are lazy/spontaneous/impatient.

-Riley

btw: I thoroughly enjoy this forum and the members here, will definitely stay around in the mean time (and be back in the 991 world when the PDK GT3 comes out!!! (Cant wait for PDK+GT Car... I have a feeling the PDK programming will be amazing!)
I totally agree. Have always sold my cars directly without much problem. Always get a price that offsets the small hassle of taking calls and showing the car. That is if you make less than $1500 per hour!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

... but honestly considering my occupation and vast down time I thoroughly enjoy the "game" of cars...
Interesting info...how do I get an occupation that supports Porsche purchases and has vast amounts of downtime?
Old 08-27-2012, 01:30 PM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by WCE
Interesting info...how do I get an occupation that supports Porsche purchases and has vast amounts of downtime?
Exactly. Why am i working on Wallstreet at an average 70 hours/week????
Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Riley-you are cool mate! You sincerely have tried to and continue to help others here. That is very rare. I don't care if you own a Porsche or not (for the next 90 days), you should always be on this board. Cheers.
thank you for kind words... i'll still be around... super excited for the Ariel Atom... going to be amazing or really horrible... i'll hope it's not the latter.

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
Thanks for the advice on buying and selling appreciate the thoughtful tips! Good luck with the new ride! Hope you come back to Porsche again!
991 GT3 is going to be amazing!.. been waiting for a pdk Gt3, (i know thats rare but i love the pdk trans)

Originally Posted by c4-toy
Would love those base ovals to replace on my base as I would send them out to get them highly polished. Drop me an email if still available plz. -joe 2013 base MT 991
pm'd

Originally Posted by cmb13
Great post and insight - thank you!
Originally Posted by kbalch
I'd love to get the locking lug bolts. PM for my details. Thanks!

All of this would make for a great reference post/sticky...

Ken
pm'd

Originally Posted by skinzy
I totally agree. Have always sold my cars directly without much problem. Always get a price that offsets the small hassle of taking calls and showing the car. That is if you make less than $1500 per hour!
some people are a pain (had to hang up on a guy the other day) but other than that it's fun.

Originally Posted by WCE
internet business... the pro's are i can do everything from my cell, the con's are i can do everything from my cell. LOL

Originally Posted by spourreza
Exactly. Why am i working on Wallstreet at an average 70 hours/week????
I'm sure the perk's far exceed mine, and I'm also hopeful you enjoy your path? i know that stocks/bonds have always interested my mathematical mind but i've never really had the chance to learn all the in's out's as it's far more complex than most think (reading about how porsche made billions shorting their own stock had me so intrigued).

that being said, PAINT YOUR GARAGE! LOL.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 PM
spourreza
Pro

Ha! Garage paint up next. New construction house. You know how that goes! Eitherway, stay on the Board. You have great posts with or without a Porsche. I enjoy reading your replies.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool stuff, Riley.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the informative post. I have never taken any thing but a loss when selling a vehicle (even privately), and a profit is unimaginable.

BTW, can you help with the "mirror down reverse"? My car has the standard interior(no 14 or 18 ways) and no folding ext mirrors, is the mirror down reverse available in my car? How?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 11:06 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aamersa
Thanks for the informative post. I have never taken any thing but a loss when selling a vehicle (even privately), and a profit is unimaginable.

BTW, can you help with the "mirror down reverse"? My car has the standard interior(no 14 or 18 ways) and no folding ext mirrors, is the mirror down reverse available in my car? How?

Thanks
cannot be added, tried to get dealer to add w/ PWIS but you cannot add it without the memory function... i just started "trying" to be a better parker... versus using the cheater mirror down. lol.

Quick Reply: As the world turns.... the life of a 991..