Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agonising over PASM + PDCC v SPASM + PDCC !

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agonising over PASM + PDCC v SPASM + PDCC !

Have ordered 991S coupe, PDK, and freeze date for options is next week. Intended use as DD plus some track days. I know there are many posts about pros/cons of PASM, SPASM, PDCC etc. but I am still confused about comfort/sportiness of PASM with PDCCC versus SPASM with/without PDCC.

I want the best of both worlds! Live in SW England where country lanes are bumpy and have dreaded speed bumps on my own road plus at work! So worried about ride height of SPASM!

I thought PASM + PDCC would give best of both worlds i.e. comfort in normal mode but stiff and stable in sport/sport+. But would this be as good as SPASM? Also that some advantages of PDCC maybe slightly lost if the overall setup is stiffer as with SPASM. But many comments suggest SPASM is great! Interested in more views on this!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:35 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will dread those dreaded speed bumps even more with spasm. Pdcc with pasm is a more viable option though.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 PM
o2bcdn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2400 miles on my 991s 7M with PASM + PDCC and two track days so far. I live in Illinois where the roads are some of the worst in the US. I think the PASM + PDCC setup is almost perfect. I test drove a SPASM + PDCC setup and found it to be too rough over frost heaves and potholes. Also, that setup was not going to clear my driveway rise without serious rubbing. The comfort level of my 991s is far better than my 997.2s and corners flatter too. I can whole heartedly recommend the 991s with PASM + PDCC as a fantastic DD and very capable track day car. If I ever want something more extreme for the track, I will probably go for a dedicated track car (Ariel Atom) and keep the 991s as a DD.

Good luck with your final choice!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

PDCC does no lower or stiffen the car at all or have any effect on comfort- it just dynamical adjusts the links that go to the sway bars and keeps the wheels optimally located relative to the ground (whereas non PDCC cars have slight "compromise" to suspension settings.

PASM and SPASM lower the car (10 mm each), with commensurate effects on need for caution around steep driveways and high obstacles The ride with PASM is almost sedan like, and with SPASM is no at all harsh, being still more supple than with the same options on the 997S.

But to figure out what suits YOU (as opposed to the rest of us) - best to find cars configured as you may desire and test drive them.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

go SPASM all the way, the only thing that hits (coming from experience) is the front lip and its very cheap to replace (and made to pop on off w/ ease)... dont even need tools to swap it..

the middle/back of my car bottomed out more when it was higher because the spring rates are much softer for the standard susp then the pasm and Spasm.

S pasm for the front lip/rear wing height/and ride height.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way will you have clearance issues over speed bumps with either set up. I live in the UK and had SPASM on my GTS without a single scrape in a year. On the other hand, you will find the ride with SPASM stiffer, even with PDCC, which contrary to another post on this thread, does improve ride comfort on the straight ahead. I have PDCC and love it, but it is on a cabriolet whihc does not permit the SPASM option. I've tried both on a 991 coupe and really liked the combination of SPASM with PDCC. The steering feel is also improved on the SPASM cars.

But you will not get a definitive answer on here as to which YOU will prefer. The safe option is to forgo SPASM. The cheapest option is to forgo PDCC as well. I hope you can find a test car in the next few days.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Speed bumps don't trouble the 991S w/ SPASM/PDCC. It's the curbs and driveways that require the acute side straddle approach. Not a big deal and I'm happy with the compromise.

This reminds me there are some with impact damage to the headers, so keep the rear of the car in mind (and inspect the new car at the dealer before taking delivery, since I think there's a risk of impact sitting on the truck.)
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
SiNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by o2bcdn
I have 2400 miles on my 991s 7M with PASM + PDCC and two track days so far. I live in Illinois where the roads are some of the worst in the US. I think the PASM + PDCC setup is almost perfect. I test drove a SPASM + PDCC setup and found it to be too rough over frost heaves and potholes. Also, that setup was not going to clear my driveway rise without serious rubbing. The comfort level of my 991s is far better than my 997.2s and corners flatter too. I can whole heartedly recommend the 991s with PASM + PDCC as a fantastic DD and very capable track day car. If I ever want something more extreme for the track, I will probably go for a dedicated track car (Ariel Atom) and keep the 991s as a DD.

Good luck with your final choice!
Thanks. I think I am leaning this way. Also there is another dimension with Sports Chrono added to PASM and PDCC. In sport + mode, both PASM and PDCC switch to a harder damper setting (according to the book). In terms of performance, therefore, I presume the former would be similar to a car with SPASM and no PDCC or SC although I accept the feel of the cars would be different.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM
SiNi
Instructor

Ideally one should test drive all the different combos as suggested but that is just not feasible where I live!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by SiNi
Thanks. I think I am leaning this way. Also there is another dimension with Sports Chrono added to PASM and PDCC. In sport + mode, both PASM and PDCC switch to a harder damper setting (according to the book). In terms of performance, therefore, I presume the former would be similar to a car with SPASM and no PDCC or SC although I accept the feel of the cars would be different.
Sport setting adds a faster map to the computer control of the throttle and PDK, so stuff happens a bit faster and it feels a bit more responsive. A marginal but fun improvement over stock- which is still far more responsive than necessary! Sport Plus is another setting (comes with the sport chrono) that takes it up yet a notch into the "this is for the track if going all out, omg why did I press that" category, shifting near redline with the subtlety of a jackhammer.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:30 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Sport setting adds a faster map to the computer control of the throttle and PDK, so stuff happens a bit faster and it feels a bit more responsive. A marginal but fun improvement over stock- which is still far more responsive than necessary! Sport Plus is another setting (comes with the sport chrono) that takes it up yet a notch into the "this is for the track if going all out, omg why did I press that" category, shifting near redline with the subtlety of a jackhammer.
Yeh I can't wait for that!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

When a solid link car hits a bump the upward movement from one side is transferred across the car by the sway bar to the other side and slightly lifts the opposite wheel. With a soft suspension and bar you don't notice this much because the bar twists. On a sports suspension the bar doesn't twist as easily and it can affect comfort when driven on rough roads. The front of the car will act "nervous" or the rear will skip to the side. But it will feel great turning on a smooth track because the force moving the outside wheel up into the wheelwell is transferred to the inside wheel and keeps the car level helping to distribute the force across the car. Compromise!

PDCC acts like a soft bar on bumpy roads when not driving aggressive, Since a stiffer sport suspension (SPASM) matched bar, will not flex as easily, the PDCC will allow the links to soften and allow movement of each wheel without transferring movement to the other side. That affects comfort and confidence on secondary roads and DD. In sport mode or driving aggressively it stiffens the links to act like solid links, hence giving full side to side transfer of force for the track.

Some people may want this;
others couldn't care less.

Last edited by CDinSing; 08-28-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 AM
SiNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by CDinSing
When a solid link car hits a bump the upward movement from one side is transferred across the car by the sway bar to the other side and slightly lifts the opposite wheel. With a soft suspension and bar you don't notice this much because the bar twists. On a sports suspension the bar doesn't twist as easily and it can affect comfort when driven on rough roads. The front of the car will act "nervous" or the rear will skip to the side. But it will feel great turning on a smooth track because the force moving the outside wheel up into the wheelwell is transferred to the inside wheel and keeps the car level helping to distribute the force across the car. Compromise!

PDCC acts like a soft bar on bumpy roads when not driving aggressive, Since a stiffer sport suspension (SPASM) matched bar, will not flex as easily, the PDCC will allow the links to soften and allow movement of each wheel without transferring movement to the other side. That affects comfort and confidence on secondary roads and DD. In sport mode or driving aggressively it stiffens the links to act like solid links, hence giving full side to side transfer of force for the track.

Some people may want this;
others couldn't care less.
Thanks. That's very interesting. So you are suggesting that PDCC actually increases the comfort level sufficiently so that SPASM is fine for daily driving although presumably still harsher than a PASM car in normal mode?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

I use my car as a DD with SPASM and PDCC. It is a great DD even on the roads voted second worst in the union! LOL. That is why I configured them in the build. I also intend to do track events and auto-x so the sport option was important. If not for that perhaps normal PASM without PDCC would be fine. YMMV
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM
emmros
Instructor

Either way, if you are not use to the side straddle thru driveways, start practicing. The front lower lip is relatively easy and inexpensive to replace.

Quick Reply: Agonising over PASM + PDCC v SPASM + PDCC !