Sponsored by:

991 Aerokit Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 11:38 PM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N2B8TOR
After this ordeal, I highly recommend folks with aftermarket fixed spoiler to get the two harnesses that comes with the OEM sport design duck tail. The first is a wire harness for the mounting bracket 991.612.884.00 (coupe) or 991.612.884.50 (cab). And the second is a wire harness for additional brake light 991.612.885.00 (this jus extends the brake light cable to reach the light position).

So during the install, after you remove the OEM spoiler motor and disconnect the harness from the car. You plug in the appropriate mounting bracket harness above to the car, then plug the additional brake light harness and route it to the fixed wing 3rd brake light, and you're all set. Just take it to the dealer and tell them to program as if the car had an OEM sport design spoiler install. That way no need to mess around with any of the wires.

I think what the shops have been doing is that when they install a non OEM fixed spoiler, they reuse the harness that was originally used for the OEM motorized spoiler, and they tap the 3rd brake light for the new fixed wing. Well if you do that and when the spoiler is down, the brake light doesn't work. Hence the need to switch wires to fool the car into thinking otherwise. Two to three owners laters and no one knows what had been done.
Thanks for taking the time to provide the info.

The wing has to be in the "up" position in order to remove it, so theoretically the wing break light would be active... even had the damn break light in the hands of the tech while I pushed the brake (before final install) and he said it worked...

Funny thing is I got 10 pages of Porsche tech procedures from the dealer technician describing the full steps of how to remove the seat and re-wire the brake light.
All this is part of the re-coding and install of an OEM duck wing...
No mention of a harness replacement at the wing end.
Though it was strange for Porsche to instruct their techs with splicing instructions for the install of an OEM wing.

Anyway, the damn thing is on and is a pain to remove, I'll look having the break light corrected when it's time to clean the air intake filters etc.
Gone are the days of the 996/997 where you just taped off the micro-switch to "fool" the ECU in activating the wing break light.
I'll definitely look into the harness though, my personal preference rather than splicing and creating my own.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:29 AM
PSGA4
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, ok sounds like I am not the only one having the 3rd brake light issue.
I ordered and installed the DT kit from Suncoast.No sunroof module.
No problems with the install as it was straight forward and having the install instructions from fellow Rennlister Plenum, made it it simple. Thank you Plenum.
Prior to getting the dealer to re-program my car I kept getting a 'check high level brake' yellow warning every time I press the brake. I thought that it may disappear after I had the re-program done.
After the dealer visit, the 'spoiler loss warning' disappeared great but still getting the yellow brake warning and no 3rd brake light illumination.
Had my very good local Porsche independent try and get it sorted , they too did a re-program of the car and made sure that it was checked off as a car with the aero kit but the same thing, puzzled is an understatement.
I have done the driver side under seat re-wire that my car requires as it is a build date of sometime late in 2011 but is a model year 2012 launch vehicle 991 so falls under the pre 18th week of 2012 build.
The kit came with two harnesses, one for a cabriolet and one for the coupe, tried both still no brake light and still getting the yellow warning every time i hit the brakes.
So I rigged up the original spoiler which was taken off in the up position and piggy backed my ducktail onto it and low and behold, DT brake light works and yellow warning is non existent.
No idea what to make of all this...Not very happy at all as I can't find a solution other than running a separate input to the DT from picking up a hot from the brake lights as suggested by another forum member in this thread. Not how I would like to have it working to tell you the truth.
Must be a simple coding issue somewhere...
Any input from fellow members would be greatly appreciated as I'm lost...
Thanks In advance..
Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 PM
ChrisP2773
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2015 991.1 S Cabriolet and I would like to add the Cup Aerokit rear spoiler. I have the factory ducktail installed already and want to add the rear wing. But the question, will it work with cabriolets? Or do i need to go to aftermarket?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Porsche only recommends the Cup rear wing for the Coupes. These are all wind-tunnel designed so they must not have liked the aerodynamics with it on a Cab

Originally Posted by ChrisP2773
I have a 2015 991.1 S Cabriolet and I would like to add the Cup Aerokit rear spoiler. I have the factory ducktail installed already and want to add the rear wing. But the question, will it work with cabriolets? Or do i need to go to aftermarket?

Thanks in advance.
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Quick Reply: 991 Aerokit Installation