Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Aerokit Installation

Old 04-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by ltdodge
my car is a April 2012 production as well and i installed the aerokit rear spoiler and my 3rd brake light works. I did not install the sunroof module. agree with PENNS that its a great add. I removed my techart one and went with the aerokit. I ended painting the rear in black.
Very nice.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 PM
911sAce
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car is a April 2012 production as well and i installed the aerokit rear spoiler and my 3rd brake light works. I did not install the sunroof module.

agree with PENNS that its a great add. I removed my techart one and went with the aerokit. I ended painting the rear in black.
Did you get it reprogrammed? Did you light work before the reprogram or after the reprogram?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sAce
Did you get it reprogrammed? Did you light work before the reprogram or after the reprogram?
i had it reprogrammed at the dealer before i removed the stock spoiler. i never tested it if it worked before.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:03 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Very nice.
thanks, i saw your build and it inspired me to install the kit
Old 04-04-2017, 10:08 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Would any of you consider installing the AeroCup Kit, without changing the front spoiler?
Would any of you consider not changing the front spoiler, if only installing a Ducktail?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:10 PM
911sAce
Intermediate

i had it reprogrammed at the dealer before i removed the stock spoiler. i never tested it if it worked before.
gotcha. Thanks!
So have you ever removed your seat in the past and seen what the carpet was like underneath? I am wondering if I should cut the carpet where it is perforated.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:11 PM
911sAce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Would any of you consider installing the AeroCup Kit, without changing the front spoiler?
Would any of you consider not changing the front spoiler, if only installing a Ducktail?
I am just installing the aero cup rear...Not doing the front. I track it once a year and the speed I am at, it won't make too much of a difference. The rear will probably be pushed down more but at my level, it is not going to mean much to me. I just love the look! haha
Old 04-05-2017, 10:30 AM
ltdodge
Racer

gotcha. Thanks!
So have you ever removed your seat in the past and seen what the carpet was like underneath? I am wondering if I should cut the carpet where it is perforated.
no I have not. since i did not add the module i did not have to do that.

now, have you programmed the computer for the aerokit on yet? if not the reason your 3rd brake light does not work is that when the stock spoiler is in the down position, the brake light does not work only the one in the engine grill. when the spoiler is up then it turns on.

if you have not programmed it, then the car things the spoiler is still down and thats why it wont turn on.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

I am just installing the aero cup rear...Not doing the front. I track it once a year and the speed I am at, it won't make too much of a difference. The rear will probably be pushed down more but at my level, it is not going to mean much to me. I just love the look! haha
You may want to reconsider. After installing the rear wing, (Front wing was damaged in shipping and had to be replaced before install) I could tell a noticeable front end lift at speeds over 100 mph. Instantly went away after front wing install.

Last edited by Homeles; 04-05-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:23 PM
911sAce
Intermediate

no I have not. since i did not add the module i did not have to do that.

now, have you programmed the computer for the aerokit on yet? if not the reason your 3rd brake light does not work is that when the stock spoiler is in the down position, the brake light does not work only the one in the engine grill. when the spoiler is up then it turns on.

if you have not programmed it, then the car things the spoiler is still down and thats why it wont turn on.

Hmm, you do have a point...but when i removed the original spoiler...it was in the UP position..and it still is after i removed it..so I would think the car believes the spoiler is up. Being that it was in the UP position, the grill brake light would not have worked while the spoiler light should...now question would be..after installing the aero rear spoiler, which came with a new set of wiring...and it is now plugged into the 3rd brake light on the new spoiler, I wonder if it thinks it is the engine grill light which should not work when the wing is in the UP position which is causing me not to have a 3rd brake light b/c i never told the computer to bring it down before removing it. And I couldn't bring the OEM wing down at the time b/c in order to access the bolts, the wing had to be up.
With that being said...do you think the only reason I need to re-wire is really b/c of the sunroof module? B/c the instruction specifically said i am re-wiring the rear-end electronics control unit which is why I originally thought it is meant for my 3rd brake light. Now you have me thinking some more.

And no I have not yet brought the car to re-program just yet.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:48 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmm, you do have a point...but when i removed the original spoiler...it was in the UP position..and it still is after i removed it..so I would think the car believes the spoiler is up. Being that it was in the UP position, the grill brake light would not have worked while the spoiler light should...now question would be..after installing the aero rear spoiler, which came with a new set of wiring...and it is now plugged into the 3rd brake light on the new spoiler, I wonder if it thinks it is the engine grill light which should not work when the wing is in the UP position which is causing me not to have a 3rd brake light b/c i never told the computer to bring it down before removing it. And I couldn't bring the OEM wing down at the time b/c in order to access the bolts, the wing had to be up.
With that being said...do you think the only reason I need to re-wire is really b/c of the sunroof module? B/c the instruction specifically said i am re-wiring the rear-end electronics control unit which is why I originally thought it is meant for my 3rd brake light. Now you have me thinking some more.

And no I have not yet brought the car to re-program just yet.
I think you're over thinking this. I took my spoiler out in the up position. The car doesn't track what position the spoiler is in when you disconnected it. Drive over 78 and you'll see the computer will give you an error message because it's trying to raise the spoiler and it's not responding. You need to take your car to the dealer and get it programmed for the sport design kit. It takes 10 minutes and it'll probably be free. My dealer didn't charge me. Then my 3rd brake light worked and I didn't get that error message about the spoiler not rising.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:18 PM
911sAce
Intermediate

Originally Posted by -Ryan-
I think you're over thinking this. I took my spoiler out in the up position. The car doesn't track what position the spoiler is in when you disconnected it. Drive over 78 and you'll see the computer will give you an error message because it's trying to raise the spoiler and it's not responding. You need to take your car to the dealer and get it programmed for the sport design kit. It takes 10 minutes and it'll probably be free. My dealer didn't charge me. Then my 3rd brake light worked and I didn't get that error message about the spoiler not rising.
haha..Thanks Ryan.
I definitely will bring it to the dealership..meanwhile i have everything taken apart exposing the wiring and about to splice some wires based on these instructions...Now i wonder if I should put everything back first, re-program and then see...

Old 04-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Consider doing both. First the look is more balanced if you do both and I do feel with aggressive driving you will notice some handling issues.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

thanks, i saw your build and it inspired me to install the kit
That is great to hear. I am very happy with the finished product and have decided to keep my car for a while, just not inspired to move on at this time. Playing with Carbon Fiber bits inside and possible Vorsteiner rear diffuser and the GTS black engine grill. Just have to do it when my wifes not looking.
Your car looks awesome.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Consider doing both. First the look is more balanced if you do both and I do feel with aggressive driving you will notice some handling issues.
There is actually some verbiage from Porsche on the need to include both front + rear spoilers when adding the Aerokit, I recall seeing it somewhere but have heard if you're adding the wing you need the front splitter as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 Aerokit Installation