Sponsored by:

PDCC: "reduction in fun", "buzzkiller"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by iambon
I would be amazed if it is without PDCC, the figure looks unreal comparing with Mclaren and Avantardor. So if the car has PDDC I would imagine zero body roll! Just my 2cent
MT's data panel says anti-roll bars not adjustable anti-roll bars, and no mention of PDCC anywhere.....if you're right, MT blew it....guess it wouldn't be the first time.....
Old 08-25-2012, 11:34 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It's personal preference. If you enjoy man/machine interaction, active anti-roll systems take away all direct suspension communication and replace it with lines of computer code. Makes for more grip by reducing weight transfer, therefore keeping all four tires more evenly loaded, which results in faster lap times. But for some of us, less enjoyment.
Not to be an ***, but roll bars, like shocks and springs don't reduce/increase weight transfer. Stiffer springs/shocks/bars increase the rate of weight transfer. To reduce weight transfer you gotta reduce the CG of the car. Perhaps more importantly, pdcc maintains better suspension geometry = better contact patch = higher cornering limits.

The 'problem' with pdcc is that a computer is constantly altering the stiffness of the suspension adding to a certain degree of artificiality.

I'd pass personally; I've driven a pdcc S twice now.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I also saw and was impressed by the reference to body roll in the article. There's no mention anywhere in the video MT posted of the testing or in the text of the article about PDCC. My assumption was that they would have talked about PDCC specifically if the car had it. In the spec box for the 991S from the article they refer to struts, adjustable shocks, anti roll bar front, and coil springs, adjustable shocks, multi-link, anti-roll bar rear. No reference to adjustable anti-roll bars. Based on this, I don't think the car had PDCC.
Yeah, this is what I noticed too,....and the test car did not have SPASM either if the pictures mean anything.

For me PDCC had too many things stacked against it...

Weight/complexity (50lbs?...pump, lines, maintenance)
First year design on 911
Cost
Artificial feel (I have driven two examples now)

Sure, it might exact .01 more Gs or a 10th of a second here and there at the track, but I just found so many other options that would be much more enjoyable on a daily basis. Given that the car is soooo good on it it's own, it would have been a waste of money to me.

And who knows,....maybe a PDCC car would not have faired as well depending on the driver/writer as not everyone has thought it to be a good option. Maybe Porsche did not want a PDCC car in the comparison. Remember, this was all about car feel and fun to drive abilities, not just techno wizardry, the GTR has enough of that to go around.

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 08-25-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Add material
Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Yeah, this is what I noticed too,....and the test car did not have SPASM either if the pictures mean anything.
You might be right, it's hard to tell. The front spolier lip looks a bit more aggressive to me, which is part of the package when you get SPASM, but I'm not sure. It would be nice if MT showed a complete option list for the car.....
Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Took a close look at the pictures on the site. The full front shot taken in front of the yellow and black retaining wall shows a non sports chin. Doubt it would have PDCC with PASM. So the stock suspension rocks! That is a good thing.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

At the same time, the body roll numbers aren't even close to any of the other cars. The gap would seem to indicate PDCC?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 PM
iambon
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
At the same time, the body roll numbers aren't even close to any of the other cars. The gap would seem to indicate PDCC?
Even Mclaren did not come close with their pro-active hydraulic suspension (no mechanical anti roll bars).

Aventardor has a racing push rod suspension but it is managed to get only 3rd.

Without PDCC I would not think that 911 can make this much different from those supercars. Even on porsche official website show the big different in body rolls between the car with PDCC and without. Can someone ask Motortrend about it? I did not say that the car without PDCC cannot achieve this but just my curiosity to know the fact.

PS. My car has normal PASM + PDCC and the ride comfort is excellent even when the sport plus + sport suspension is on.
Attached Images  

Last edited by iambon; 10-20-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The MotorTrend test had me wondering as well. It's a shame they dropped the ball on this critical issue in an otherwise very entertaining and informative comparison test.

My suspicion is that the car was equipped with PDCC (but without SPASM). The comments from the road test editor about "we thought our equipment was broken" and the low roll angle seem to indicate that it was. Also, compare the roll angle figure from the GT3 RS from the 2011 BDC test @ 1.4' vs. the 991's 0.4. The GT3 RS is an already fairly aggressively suspended car and the 991 is registers a full degree less roll.

Also, compare the lap time data (same driver in Pobst) and it's easy to see the GT3 is making most of its lap time advantage on the straights with higher terminal speeds before the braking zones.

If it was equipped with PDCC, it didn't seem to be getting in the way of Pobst's enjoyment of the car in a track environment at least.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...r/viewall.html

Quick Reply: PDCC: "reduction in fun", "buzzkiller"?