Sponsored by:

PDCC: "reduction in fun", "buzzkiller"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche518
I opted out of the PDCC for this reason.

A quick question for you guys, I got the PASM suspension order No 030, there is only one option for pasm on the configurator. Is this the SPASM every one is speaking off, it is confusing since there is talk of PASM vs SPASM and I have only seen one option.
PASM has a 10 mm lower ride hight than non PASM. SPASM AKA Sport PASM lowers the car another 10 mm via shorter stiffer springs. It also has stiffer sway bars. The downside is a need for extra caution around sloping driveways, to avoid scraping or flat out removing the spoiler that comes with SPASM (which I have done!)

I have been very happy with SPASM for the past 6 months because I like the feel (firmer but not at all harsh), the slightly higher cornering limits, and the look of the wheel in the wheel wells.

(But I came from an 08 Boxter S RS-60 (which was also 20 mm lower than standard) and a 78 911 SC with a track modded suspension- so its hugely more drivable).
Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its interesting that someone brought up the Mclaren. See the post about the 991 winning motortrend's best drivers car contest, where Randy Probst takes a MClaren out. He comments "Whos driving this car?"
it seems similar to what Excellence said about PDCC.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I opted out of the PDCC for this reason.

A quick question for you guys, I got the PASM suspension order No 030, there is only one option for pasm on the configurator. Is this the SPASM every one is speaking off, it is confusing since there is talk of PASM vs SPASM and I have only seen one option.
If you are ordering an S it already comes with PASM (PASM is extra on the base car). The $890 030 option you see in the configurator when you're building an S is for the PASM Sports suspension or SPASM. The difference between PASM and SPASM is as described by chuckbdc above. Like him, I prefer the lower ride hide and firmer feel of SPASM.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:12 AM
ray991
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2cents worth... all the wizardry is a must if lap time is your target! However, for an amatuer driver like me, I'd know the car is doing at least 20 percent of the driving (& 80% of the tricky bits)... making me feel a better driver then I really am... inflating my artificial confidence... and when the car finally reaches it's limit of control... I will be unable to correct the course and save my (and my baby's) skin.
I'd stay away from PDCC, but to each his own
Old 08-24-2012, 01:23 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Now that I had some fun asking about counters, I will say that I have the SPASM w/ PDCC. The ride is great, IMHO. Even on crappy roads with Sport Chassis engaged the ride is perfectly acceptable (much better than my standard suspension 997.1. The cornering is f l a t. I do not have a perfect comparison to a non-PDCC SPASM car as the other 991 I have driven was non-sport PASM.

I enjoyed a few tourist laps at Nurburgring, and did not feel particularly buzz killed. Looking forward to some track time state-side soon.

Oh, and I have yet to scrape anything. I think ride is low, but perfectly useable for daily duty w/ SPASM.

I think the advice to test one of each is very sensible!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:42 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

I have SPASM and PDCC on my DD. I live in PA and the roads are bad but I didn't want to give up sport suspension. I drove PASM with and without PDCC and it was too soft for me. Personal taste I suppose.

I found the PDCC gives you stiffer bars matched to the stiffer springs, but adjusting the link stiffness between left and right wheels allows the wheels to react independently to our potholes when needed without disrupting the entire end of the car. That is a huge safety and comfort factor for back road driving here. For spirited driving it firms up the link and transfers the force as a bar should. I like and need the dual nature of the car. To each their own, try both and consider your driving conditions. It is nice to have options!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

According to Porsche, something like 30 % of the improvement in lap times for the new S at Nurburgring is due to the PDCC. That is huge, and tells you just how useful dynamic links are.

I suspect that the difference between a road test and really living with it and understanding everything it provides is just as huge. Thanks for the detailed post.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If you are ordering an S it already comes with PASM (PASM is extra on the base car). The $890 030 option you see in the configurator when you're building an S is for the PASM Sports suspension or SPASM. The difference between PASM and SPASM is as described by chuckbdc above. Like him, I prefer the lower ride hide and firmer feel of SPASM.
Thanks I was getting worried because my build is locked, but I am getting a Carrera s with the pasm sport option.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks I was getting worried because my build is locked, but I am getting a Carrera s with the pasm sport option.
No problem. Sounds like you're good to go. Now, good luck with the wait!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 PM
iambon
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi last night, I read the full article "motortrend best driver car 2012" and it is amazed me that 991S has a very little body roll of 0.4 degree with highest avg. lateral g of 1.03. The other cars usually have body roll's figure around than 2.0 degree (Mclaren is second best with 1.3 degree and Aventardor is third with 1.5 degree). Is this because of PDCC?

Motortrend even comment in the article that
"The chassis is totally composed over bumps," says Evans. To me, the suspension is the unsung hero of the new 911 story. I can't remember ever driving a car so well-damped. Maybe the Ferrari 458 Italia, but that's a big maybe. When Kim Reynolds measured the roll angle, the number he got back was so low (0.4!) that he thought his equipment was broken. It wasn't -- the Porsche's suspension is just that good. Sublime, really. Everything about this car is sublime. From the brakes to the throttle response to the seats, the Porsche 911 Carrera S is everything we look for in a driver's car. I'll let Evans have the penultimate word, as his comment typifies our thinking about the latest and greatest from Porsche: "I just can't think of anything this car does wrong." However, notes Pobst, "I don't like the interior color."
Old 08-24-2012, 11:28 PM
iambon
Advanced

A diameter of PDCC's anti roll bar is huge (I guess it is around 1.5 inch), i saw it when I got my car with PDCC up to switch the tyres.

This is totally different system from Mclaren since they do not have anti roll bar in MP4-12c

Last edited by iambon; 08-24-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by iambon
Hi last night, I read the full article "motortrend best driver car 2012" and it is amazed me that 991S has a very little body roll of 0.4 degree with highest avg. lateral g of 1.03. The other cars usually have body roll's figure around than 2.0 degree (Mclaren is second best with 1.3 degree and Aventardor is third with 1.5 degree). Is this because of PDCC?
I also saw and was impressed by the reference to body roll in the article. There's no mention anywhere in the video MT posted of the testing or in the text of the article about PDCC. My assumption was that they would have talked about PDCC specifically if the car had it. In the spec box for the 991S from the article they refer to struts, adjustable shocks, anti roll bar front, and coil springs, adjustable shocks, multi-link, anti-roll bar rear. No reference to adjustable anti-roll bars. Based on this, I don't think the car had PDCC.
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2012, 02:22 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think Porsche gave Motortrend a very well equipped car. Don't car manufacturers do this normally to get better reviews? Even to the extent of the cars not being stock?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:18 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by enduro963
I would think Porsche gave Motortrend a very well equipped car. Don't car manufacturers do this normally to get better reviews? Even to the extent of the cars not being stock?
Sure. But manufacturers often don't include every option on the cars they supply. And magazines also list and talk about the performance features on the cars that they test. Seems like PDCC, which is a significant and costly option, would have been mentioned somewhere in the MT test if the car actually had it.....
Old 08-25-2012, 03:37 AM
iambon
Advanced

I would be amazed if it is without PDCC, the figure looks unreal comparing with Mclaren and Avantardor. So if the car has PDDC I would imagine zero body roll! Just my 2cent

Quick Reply: PDCC: "reduction in fun", "buzzkiller"?