Sponsored by:

Feedback on interior exterior color combo please

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:27 AM
ray991
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Feedback on interior exterior color combo please

Finally biting the bullet on my first ever 911 and going for the 991 Cab.
My choice of color is derived off the configurator and based on online pics and showroom samplers but since I havent seen the real thing come together, would appreciate as diverse a feedback that I can get from an aesthetic point of view. The combination as follows:
- 911 Carrera Cabriolet
- Convertible Top - Brown (3V)
- Exterior color - Lime Gold Metallic (R2)
- Interior Leather - Full Leather in Luxor Beige (UZ)
- Interior Mahagony - Interior Package (EEB), Steering Wheel (XHF) & Centre Console Trim (XHG)
I know its not exactly sporty & spirited but I'm not much of a performance enthusiast and would rather prefer to be in a cozy place and enjoy my driving in a good old fashioned way (although in a mordern engineering marvel). The 911 has been a childhood dream and I am finally able to fulfill it. Looking forward to your feedback / critique / suggestions; attaching a few pics as well from the configurator.
Cheers

Last edited by ray991; 08-22-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 AM
Sidney1
Intermediate

Aaarghhhhhh ..........

.... you´ll lose 50.000 USD at the moment you leave with your new car the dealer ........
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 AM
ray991
Track Day

My perspective is not from resale point of view, just plain aesthetic one for myself. I would like the car to be a little different from all the whites and the greys and the silvers but not in a loud "look at me" sort of a way either
Anyway, I take an Aaarghhhh to be an aesthetic no! from you. Thanks for the feedback
Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ray991
My perspective is not from resale point of view, just plain aesthetic one for myself. I would like the car to be a little different from all the whites and the greys and the silvers but not in a loud "look at me" sort of a way either
Anyway, I take an Aaarghhhh to be an aesthetic no! from you. Thanks for the feedback
The whole point of custom ordering is getting exactly what you want aesthetically, so if you like this combo I wouldn't think twice about ordering it.

Just a suggestion, since you have crests on headrests, perhaps you could go with logo on center console.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

If you love it, do it.

My opinion - you will certainly have a one-of-a-kind that few others may ever want, but again if it really is what you want, go with it.

I think more contrast between interior and exterior works better than what you show above.

Color wise, there are many other options that are more pleasing to my eye - the one in particular that I've had on two P-cars was Guards Red/Beige leather/Black top. And yes, you see that around, and you won't see Lime Gold w/Brown.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

I congratulate your bold choice! However, I am with Eric on a darker interior. How about either black or for +$1500ish, natural leather espresso?
I'm not saying it will be the next Riviera Blue car on eBay, but I'll bet that not too many lime golds get ordered, especially at +$3k.
A final thought is PTS in almost any color you like. It would increase the wait time, but it's "only" +$2K from special color pricing. That's what I would do unless I absolutely loved the lime gold.
Good luck.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 AM
ray991
Track Day

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
If you love it, do it.

My opinion - you will certainly have a one-of-a-kind that few others may ever want, but again if it really is what you want, go with it.

I think more contrast between interior and exterior works better than what you show above.

Color wise, there are many other options that are more pleasing to my eye - the one in particular that I've had on two P-cars was Guards Red/Beige leather/Black top. And yes, you see that around, and you won't see Lime Gold w/Brown.
Agree on the contrast element, and love the Guards red & beige combo but feel it is a bit loud, dunno, I may just take up on your suggestion
So far this is what I am thinking but I am not fixed on it or anything, otherwise wouldnt've bothered with opinions. Love the looks of a black interiors too but I live in a warm climate and open top motoring with black interior is just not very practical.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd second espresso natural leather with lime gold and brown roof ..

interior and exterior works best with bright/dark combination.

luxor beige in the same field of brightness as lime gold, so does not work for me.

with espresso, go for aluminium interior package, but leather center console trim so there's no shiny bits in the center console.

wood on a Porsche doesn't seem right, wood is for luxurious sedans such as Mercedes.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

or may be mahagony metallic or anthracite brown with brown roof and agate/pebble grey interior (pebble grey is off white, looks great, and has contrast stitching on dash at no extra cost)
Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 AM
ray991
Track Day

Originally Posted by sfo
or may be mahagony metallic or anthracite brown with brown roof and agate/pebble grey interior (pebble grey is off white, looks great, and has contrast stitching on dash at no extra cost)
Been curious about the pebble grey too, is it really off white or just very light grey?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

it's nearer white than grey

Last edited by sfo; 08-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Color is a clearly personal choice. If you plan on owning for a long time then a choice outside the norm works. If you plan to trade soon your list of buyers will be small. That said I would go with a black top and/or dark interior. Your color choice would not be mine.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM
goatboy
Racer

What you have there is a rear-engined, manual transmission-ed, cramped, rough-riding, loud Lexus convertible... a really fast one.

Actually, the colors, inlcuding the wood trim, are close enough that there's a good transition between them. It's actually a good looking car; it just doesn't look like a typical Porsche. Being atypical, you'll have a harder time selling the car when that time comes. Finding somebody else who likes that color combo in a Porsche will be hard. Finding that person who also likes to shift gears will be even harder.

Notice that all of this thread's posters' avitars so far are red, white, and yellow. I"m sure silver and black will likely post soon.

All that being said, throw in a PDK and that thing would fly off a new or used dealer's lot in one day in Beverly Hills, something to go pick up a few bobbles on Rodeo Drive.

If you like it, go for it.

Last edited by goatboy; 08-20-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 226 Posts

First of all, full respect to you for selecting a manual transmission. While you claim not to be the full sporting type, this selection alone puts you good in my books (not dissing PDK choice, but I like the fact that a sports car has a manual box).

For the color combo, anything with "lime" or "gold" are colors not for me - again, just stating me, and as others have said, it's all your choice. If you love it, go for it.

Wood trim in a Porsche doesn't work for me (hey, you asked for our opinion, right??), and I'm not sure how they are installing the trim these days, but from what I remember from 996's and to some extent 997's, I think these wood trim pieces are simply glued in (albeit the steering wheel, etc). I do not like wood in Porsches and prefer a more sporting feel/look in Porsches. It is a Porsche and not a Lexus.

Congrats on getting your new Porsche (must be very exciting) and well done for getting to a stage in your life to pull the trigger. Full support to what you decide. Please keep us posted on your final selection!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll echo what some others have said; it's your car and your dream, you should please yourself and get what appeals to you. That said however, and since you asked for feedback, I don't find that to be an attractive combination.

Quick Reply: Feedback on interior exterior color combo please