Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a Porsche noob with new 911 purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:52 PM
adave
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help a Porsche noob with new 911 purchase!

I am a new member looking to buy my first Porsche - and have decided to go with the new 911 cab.

It sounds like ordering my car is the way to go - couple questions abt the process -

1 - when I order a car with the dealer, how long is the wait?
2 - am I expected to pay full MSRP or is there wiggle room? If so how does one negotiate it?
3 - how much money is due when I put in the order at the dealer?

Also, please give me your thoughts on the car I am planning to order. Keep in mind this is a car for fun tooling around the suburbs and will never see a track.

911 carrera cab
Black exterior
Two tone black/grey leather interior
Premium package plus
14 point seats
Carrera classic wheels or maybe sports design
Wheel spacers
Bose audio
Porsche exhaust
Some other minor options

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:30 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

It should take about 4 months to get the car.

You should NOT pay sticker price..... EVER! You should be able to get at least 5% to 7% off sticker price.

Deposit equirements will vary by dealer. Should be anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000. More if Paint-to- Sample, which yours is not.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are not getting SPASM, save the money for the spacers. They are completely poinless unless you lower the ride. Rather put that money into Porsche Crests on the headrests, the colored crests on the wheels or something like that - much better.

Rainier

Originally Posted by adave
I am a new member looking to buy my first Porsche - and have decided to go with the new 911 cab.

It sounds like ordering my car is the way to go - couple questions abt the process -

2 - am I expected to pay full MSRP or is there wiggle room? If so how does one negotiate it?

Also, please give me your thoughts on the car I am planning to order. Keep in mind this is a car for fun tooling around the suburbs and will never see a track.

911 carrera cab
Black exterior
Premium package plus
14 point seats
Wheel spacers
Bose audio
Porsche exhaust
Some other minor options

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
If you are not getting SPASM, save the money for the spacers. They are completely poinless unless you lower the ride. Rather put that money into Porsche Crests on the headrests, the colored crests on the wheels or something like that - much better.

Rainier
spacers push the wheels out, so IMO looks better. Also widens track, so improve handling, even if slightly
Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 AM
billyii
Track Day

Adave...It might be helpful to post where you live or in what area for recommendations on dealers and salespeople...Billy
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
It should take about 4 months to get the car.

You should NOT pay sticker price..... EVER! You should be able to get at least 5% to 7% off sticker price.

Deposit equirements will vary by dealer. Should be anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000. More if Paint-to- Sample, which yours is not.
+1 sound advice. I would also spring for burmester audio. You won't regret it! I have the two tone interior black/grey. You will love!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Originally Posted by sfo
spacers push the wheels out, so IMO looks better. Also widens track, so improve handling, even if slightly
Only improves the looks if you lower the ride - otherwise 5mm is simply not noticable. You need to get the top edge of the wheel well closer to the edge of the tire to make 5mm count. Even then it is pretty marginal IMHO.

Improvements in handing would at best be theoretical. No chance you will ever notice the difference.

Rainier
Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 PM
adave
Intermediate

I live in Houston, TX

On another forum it was recommended that I add PASM to the base model, what do you guys think?

Also, having a tough time deciding on the wheel - any thoughts on the various options?

My DD is a lexus ls460 so I wanted to not get too luxurious with this ride since the lexus already is super luxurious - I desire a car that is comfortable to ride to work once in a while but more that is has that "wow" and "fun" factor.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Rainier_991
Instructor

If you don't mind spending the extra bucks - go for the "S" with at least PASM which includes the PTV and add PSE as well.

Once you start adding things like PASM to the base you get too close to the "S" from a price point of view without having one.

In my view - if you go for the base - keep it basic or dress it out in luxury as DD but forget any performance parts.
If you want performance go for a basic "S" or if you have money to blow, the "S" nicely decked out...

Rainier
Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM
skinzy
Instructor

If steering is the wheel you asking about I have the multifunction and love it. The LCD in the instrument cluster, among other controls, can be controlled by the wheel which is super convenient and safe. Would not recommend PASM on base. If you go that way choose the "S". I started thinking about the base but eventually went with the "S" and extremely happy that I did. These are pricy cars so get what you want and don't look back.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Houston, TX

On another forum it was recommended that I add PASM to the base model, what do you guys think?

Also, having a tough time deciding on the wheel - any thoughts on the various options?

My DD is a lexus ls460 so I wanted to not get too luxurious with this ride since the lexus already is super luxurious - I desire a car that is comfortable to ride to work once in a while but more that is has that "wow" and "fun" factor.
PASM is not an expensive option, comparatively speaking.

it lowers ride ride by 10mm, and it does improve car's ride and handling on the poor surfaced, bumpy and uneven roads.

add spacers to push wheels out slightly too ..

you going for 7MT?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:59 PM
adave
Intermediate

Thx - I meant rims not steering wheel - I cant tell which would look the best on the black cab.

I'll prob stick with the auto tranny, but not pdk cause it seems that would be best used on the track.

It appears the "S" is about 14k more than the base, worth the extra money?

Any recommendations for dealer/salesperson in Houston?

Last edited by adave; 08-15-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 PM
adave
Intermediate

Please give me your thoughts and what I should aim to pay for this config: Thx.

911 Carrera Cabriolet $93,700
Packages
Premium Package Plus P39
$4,650
Exterior Colors
Cabriolet Roof in Black 1V $0
Black A1 $0
Interior Colors
Black / Platinum Grey leather interior BR
$4,120
Exterior
ParkAssist (front and rear) 636
$380
Performance
Sport Exhaust System 176
$2,950
Power Steering Plus 658
$270
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) 475
$2,090
Wheels
20-inch Carrera S wheel 423
$1,560
Wheel Accessories
Wheel spacers, 5 mm XRP
$490
Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest 446
$185
Interior
Smoking package 583
$0
Power Sport Seats (14-way) P06
$0
Interior Leather
Porsche Crest on headrests XSC
$285
Multi-function steering wheel 844
$615
Two-tone leather interior 970
$0
Interior Aluminum
Door sill guards in stainless steel, illuminated XXB
$895
Destination Charge:
Destination Charge: $950
Total Price* $113,140
Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 PM
PMAA
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

911 carrera cab
Black exterior
Premium package plus
14 point seats
Wheel spacers
Bose audio
Porsche exhaust
Some other minor options

Thanks!
1) I was pretty lucky my dealer had a changeable order on the books. So I had to make up my mind quickly to take advantage of a build already on Porsche build schedule ...my wait was still about 2months. Not bad considering some wait 4 to 6 months
2) I got 6% off without even trying hard...if you're a negotiator I bet you can do better
3)I put $1000 down

Nice build the PSE is a must....Good Luck!!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:17 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

I was going to say swap out the spacers for the colored center caps, but it looks like you have both. The colored center caps are probably the best bang-for-the-buck cosmetic option you can order. If you are just going to be cruising the suburbs, don't worry about the S. You won't get much out of it unless you do some "fun" driving

Quick Reply: Help a Porsche noob with new 911 purchase!