Sponsored by:

My first Porsche+questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 10:45 AM
BruceSA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Porsche+questions

My first ever Porsche will be delivered to me this week after 5 and half month wait(or 45 years)!

My spec is:

911 Carrera S
Agate Grey Metallic
PDK
Sports Plus seats in black leather
Sports Chrono package
Park Assist front and rear
PSE
Multi Function steering wheel
Rev counter in black No cost
Power steering plus
Bluetooth mobile phone prep
Floor Mats
Coloured wheel caps
PASM No cost
20" Carrera Sport wheel No cost

Price locally: $ 160 500.

We do not get PCM standard with the car and this is a $5000 option so I decided to omit this option.

The radio is the standard DR-31 with sound system plus. I cannot believe that Porsche AG don't supply this with a USB port but 3.5mm Aux only. Even the $11000 korean cars come standard with USB here in South Africa.

Firstly does anyone have the standard system and is it possible to stream music via bluetooth on this system?

Secondly, I see that very few opt for the TPMS system although this should be a standard fitment considering the spare wheel issue as well as picking up early that you may have a puncture. Is there any chance of retrofitting this in the future?

Will post pics when she arrives this week.

Last edited by BruceSA; 08-12-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:47 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on your first Porsche! Nice build sheet.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:26 AM
BruceSA
Advanced

Thanks, always difficult choosing colours and options.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:56 AM
peewee72
Intermediate

Congrats and like u I am also taking delivery of mine this week after 4.5 months of waiting. Happy driving and enjoy!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 AM
typecase
Advanced

Agate grey is a beautiful color on the 991. Really shows off its lines. I'm really surprised that PCM isn't standard on the car. That really sucks especially considering what you're paying for the car there. PCM or not, this car will be an absolute head turner. I saw very few 997s there, even in Sandton, so your car should be quite unique. Enjoy it in good health Bruce.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

What's interesting is 'bluetooth phone prep' with a CDR radio....not possible to do in most markets. Let us know if your phone connects to the CDR via bluetooth, and if so, will it stream audio.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Congrats !
5 and a half months is not bad. I'm in Cape Town and 3 and a half months down the line. Dealer thinks I'll get mine December if I am lucky, otherwise January. That will make it 7-8 months.
Like you, I also raised an eyebrow or two over the GPS/PCM and decided that a TOM-TOM will do just fine (probably better anyway).
The standard sound system is very good - all it needs is a speaker upgrade for the two, fairly useless base drivers in the doors.
No USB. That's fine. As long as it has AUX (which is does) you can plug in anything you like. Good MP3 players cost next to nothing. AUX has much better quality than bluetooth streaming.

Biggest problem with the wait is that it is expensive. I started with a relative basic S and keep piling on the options to keep me from going mad (ask my wife, she thinks I have passed that point long ago).
But I refuse on the PCM. That is just too much of a rip.

My (current) order is:
Carrera S in white
Full leather, black and patinum grey
Porsche crests on headrests
Sports steering wheel
SPASM with spacers, standard 20" wheels
TPM
Spare wheel
Power steering plus
PDK
PTV
Sports chrono
PSE
Floor mats
Park assist front+rear
Wheel caps
Black rev counter

Will likely be adding the small Techart wing to the back to round it off.

No bluetooth option. I refuse to carry a mobile phone unless for emergency use - and I don't even know the number for that one.

I hope my order gets closed before I feel the need to visit the Porsche shop again...

Rainier
Old 08-14-2012, 12:22 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

Thanks Guys. The car is standing on the showroom floor waiting for me to collect tomorrow pm.

Ranier, nice spec. I did not go for the SPASM as I felt this was more for track use. We do not have the awesome roads up north like you guys have in the Cape.

I listened to the sound today of the standard system, I was mighty impressed.....or maybe my ears not as good as some out there(something to do with too much shooting and hunting without ear protection, especially during military days)!! Regarding the aux connection, plug ipod into jack, leave in cubbyhole...but now you have no control and cannot change songs, so a bit of a crazy system to my mind. I bought a cable with usb plug on as well so can charge ipod at same time. I also got a credit for the car mats today as I bought the rubber mats instead. Also a bit peeved with salesguy because he did not recommend TPMS when I was ordering....it surely is a must have.

Eric, i checked today as well regarding bluetooth streaming on the car and there is no AUX Bluetooth option however the bluetooth does run through the CDR31 so not sure if it is something in the software set up. Will investigate more tomorrow evening. The Porsche guys did not know either.

typecase, most of the Porsche's here only come out on weekends! They sell about 60 odd 911's per month and currently 120 Cayennes....
Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

Default new 991

Also forgot to mention that I retrofitted PSE. It was $1000 cheaper than factory order and I get the original exhaust back!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Originally Posted by BruceSA
Thanks Guys. The car is standing on the showroom floor waiting for me to collect tomorrow pm.

Ranier, nice spec. I did not go for the SPASM as I felt this was more for track use. We do not have the awesome roads up north like you guys have in the Cape.
I used to live in Joburg for some 15 years so I know. You have good roads, just perhaps not the nice scenery and great mountain passes that just make excellent Porsche stomping grounds. But it is only a few hours drive and the best possible excuse you can have to come down !

I decided on the SPASM as I want to do occasional, novice track use as part of the PCub activities. I'm one that is not a fan of the PDCC (and its price, I admit) and I found the SPASM to corner superbly flat anyway without much (any ?)loss in comfort. I much prefered the SPASM road feel and I think, somehow the steering feels nicer (more direct ?) - but that could be subjective as I did not try both on the same day.

Anyway - enjoy your new ride. I am sure you'll try every good road you can find in the next few days. I envy you. Don't forget the speed traps !

Rainier
Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

Default Finally!

She is finally home! Unbelievable car....could not help getting to 120mph on highway!! Feels like 70....

Definitely no bluetooth audio streaming available with CDR system and bluetooth phone connection.

Last edited by BruceSA; 04-29-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 PM
typecase
Advanced

Beautiful car Bruce. Enjoy it in good health! Is this going to be a daily driver?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Stunning! Congrats.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:14 AM
BruceSA
Advanced

Default new porsche

Thanks guys.

I am only 2 miles from work, it won't be used as a daily driver....it won't even get hot by the time I get to my office.

I have decided it will be a Friday to Sunday car.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:31 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Very nice. Beautifull car you got there.
Weekend car ? - right ! Let's see how long you can resist.
Need an excuse ? Here is one: Your other car won't get hot either...

Rainier

Originally Posted by BruceSA
Thanks guys.

I am only 2 miles from work, it won't be used as a daily driver....it won't even get hot by the time I get to my office.

I have decided it will be a Friday to Sunday car.

Quick Reply: My first Porsche+questions