Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Windshield Coating/Suction Cups/Radar Detectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
billyii
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Windshield Coating/Suction Cups/Radar Detectors?

"Caution!"
"A few vehicles (including some Porsches)
have windshields with a soft anti-lacerative
coating on the inside surface. Use of
suction cups will permanently mar this
coating."

I was just getting ready to order a Beltronics Pro 300 radar detector for my, soon to be, 991 and I was reading the on-line owner's manual for the detector. The manual has this warning about using a suction cup on a Porsche windshield and I became concerned.

The manual said consult your dealer, but I am sometimes kind of leery of
some dealer answers.

Does anyone know anything about the inside windshield coatings of the 991? Has anyone been using suction cups and noticed any damage?

Thanks.

Billy

Last edited by billyii; 08-10-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Change wording
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts

Not this Porsche!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Can't speak to the 991 but have used suction cups on my previous 996, and current 997.2 and Cayenne with no problems.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 AM
billyii
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WCA and Mike,

Thanks for your comments. Since there were so few comments, I have to assume there is no problem with using suction cups on a 991 windshield. If there was a problem, it would probably have already been all over the forum. I should have realized this after my search revealed only a few old posts with no complaints of windshield damage.

Thanks again for taking time to answer my question.

Billy
Old 08-12-2012, 07:43 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

I haven't checked my new 991s yet, but the coated windshield in my S5 rendered my Valentine radar detector useless.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
I haven't checked my new 991s yet, but the coated windshield in my S5 rendered my Valentine radar detector useless.
Interesting. I have a V1 mounted in my A3. As with any suction cup device it helps if the windshield is clean and the cups are fresh and new, but other than that, no problems. Even though they are both Audis, maybe the S5 uses a different type of windshield??
Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

billyii, better solution (than highly visible and unsightly suction cups) is to check out the "Blendmount" with "Invisicord" so your RD hangs right under the rear view mirror. It is a much cleaner/stealth mounting location and a quality product. I have had one for several years on my aiprort commute cars (currenlty a Lincoln MKX). The invisi cord allows you to hard wire the RD up through your mirror wiring. I have not yet attempted this with the 991, but you may want to Google the Blendmount folks and see if it would fit the 991's or not. I plan on doing this sometime, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Good luck!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 PM
ctporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
billyii, better solution (than highly visible and unsightly suction cups) is to check out the "Blendmount" with "Invisicord" so your RD hangs right under the rear view mirror. It is a much cleaner/stealth mounting location and a quality product. I have had one for several years on my aiprort commute cars (currenlty a Lincoln MKX). The invisi cord allows you to hard wire the RD up through your mirror wiring. I have not yet attempted this with the 991, but you may want to Google the Blendmount folks and see if it would fit the 991's or not. I plan on doing this sometime, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Good luck!
Please note that "Blendmount" will not work with auto-dimming mirrors.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctporsche
Please note that "Blendmount" will not work with auto-dimming mirrors.
You mean Porsche auto dim mirrors...I ask because I've used my blend mount with three vehicles now that all had auto dim mirrors and they all worked fine...the unit is completly underneath the mirror so it does not block light getting to the sensors if that's the issue you are thinking of?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
You mean Porsche auto dim mirrors...I ask because I've used my blend mount with three vehicles now that all had auto dim mirrors and they all worked fine...the unit is completly underneath the mirror so it does not block light getting to the sensors if that's the issue you are thinking of?
I believe the reason the Blendmount won't work with Porsche auto dimming is because the size and shape of the base or "neck" of the mirror. It is tapered to much for the mount to attach properly.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
I believe the reason the Blendmount won't work with Porsche auto dimming is because the size and shape of the base or "neck" of the mirror. It is tapered to much for the mount to attach properly.
+1. I spoke to Blendmount yesterday. Their nifty attachment to the mirror stem will not work with any 911 that has auto dimming. This is true of most auto dimmers, eg, on my 2011 Touareg, for the reason stated.

My V1 has been a ticket/money saver for many years, so I recently sent it in for an upgrade. They sent back a brand new one at discount. With my 991 due in port momentarily, I'm looking for a V1 mounting solution other than the suction cups I've used in the past. All ideas are welcome.

With the Blendmount out of the picture, I was thinking of mounting the V1 behind the sunroof--it needs to look forward and backward--with the remote display mounted somwhere on/beneath the dash. Curious if anyone has seen such a setup work.

Spyder
Old 08-17-2012, 03:18 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Hey Spyder - did you ever finish mounting your RD behind sunroof? Do you have pics?

Anyone know how to hook up Invisicord to mirror or courtesy light? If you have used Invisicord what is your hookup?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Question: Windshield Coating/Suction Cups/Radar Detectors?