Sponsored by:

Air Conditioining issues in the 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 PM
typecase
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Air Conditioining issues in the 991

The day I picked up my 991 about 2 weeks ago, the AC seemed to shut down on me for a while. I told the dealer about it but it disappeared within a few hours and never happened again. Then on a long trip in 100 degree temps two days ago, the AC decides to quit, and no amount of toggling anything could bring it back. It seem to stay dead after an engine restart and even on the way to the service appointment at the dealer. At the dealer, they couldn't replicate the problem. They reset "the heat blender" even though it didn't throw a fault code. The AC was working on the way from the dealer. Fingers crossed it continues to work.

TL; DR: Anyone having issues with their 991's A/C?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:29 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is working like a champ, you didn't happen to have the "Auto Stop" feature engaged? IIRC, the owner's manual mentions that under certain conditions in Auto Stop mode it will disable the AC...shouldn't be while you are driving though...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:40 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem with my S so far at 1,800 miles.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:55 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Mines ok too. Just turned over 2000 miles today
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

I had a wiper problem that had the same symptoms.

Worked when I took delivery June 27. 2 days later in did not work in the rain. Turned engine off, got out locked the car, got back in, etc, hoping to reset something. No go.

When at home I found 2 fuses, one for the wiper motor and one for the rain sensor. Pulled out, both OK, re-installed and while I was at it gave all the other fuses a good seating jiggle/push. Has worked fine since.

Can't possibly prove that the fuse re-install did the trick, but sure seems possible. Perhaps the process cuts all power through to whatever in the system and thus resets it?

You might want to do the same for all the fuses in the a/c system. Worth a shot.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:32 AM
dreamerak
7th Gear

Originally Posted by typecase
The day I picked up my 991 about 2 weeks ago, the AC seemed to shut down on me for a while. I told the dealer about it but it disappeared within a few hours and never happened again. Then on a long trip in 100 degree temps two days ago, the AC decides to quit, and no amount of toggling anything could bring it back. It seem to stay dead after an engine restart and even on the way to the service appointment at the dealer. At the dealer, they couldn't replicate the problem. They reset "the heat blender" even though it didn't throw a fault code. The AC was working on the way from the dealer. Fingers crossed it continues to work.

TL; DR: Anyone having issues with their 991's A/C?
If the system was over charged, (too much refrigerant) the system pressures will get too high and shut down the AC. this always seems to happen on a hot day when its working hard to cool the cabin. It's very important to have the exact amount refrigerant needed, my friends car (non Porsche) had 1.2 lbs instead of the correct amount of 1.1 lbs and had the same symptoms as you. after the system cools down, pressures return to normal, making correct diagnosis difficult.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Mine has been top notch.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:51 PM
typecase
Advanced

Originally Posted by dreamerak
If the system was over charged, (too much refrigerant) the system pressures will get too high and shut down the AC. this always seems to happen on a hot day when its working hard to cool the cabin. It's very important to have the exact amount refrigerant needed, my friends car (non Porsche) had 1.2 lbs instead of the correct amount of 1.1 lbs and had the same symptoms as you. after the system cools down, pressures return to normal, making correct diagnosis difficult.
Thanks for the well considered response. It died on me the other day. I'll tell the dealer about this potential diagnosis should it do this again.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a/c is doing fine so far and I am in the harshest possible summer climate with temperatures well north of 100 F every day.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:54 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

6000 miles no problems..

have other problems but AC works fine.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioining issues in the 991